Brightwell kalk 2

harlo

Anybody using the above ca, alk and mg? Does it really add all 3 of this in the same ratio?

No.

Kalk is purely Calcium hydroxide (CaOH)

It dissociates to form OH ions which maintains alk and Ca. I think the amount of Ca it dissociate is also negligible.

You can run a search on RC. Apparently, brightwell is founded by the owner of Kent Marine.

Having said, I think Kalk is still Kalk in the end. It's a good and cheap method of maintaining alk and Ca levels if you know how to use it

Anybody using the above ca, alk and mg? Does it really add all 3 of this in the same ratio?

No.

Kalk is purely Calcium hydroxide (CaOH)

It dissociates to form OH ions which maintains alk. I think the amount of Ca it dissociate is also negligible.

You can run a search on RC. Apparently, brightwell is founded by the owner of Kent Marine.

Having said, I think Kalk is still Kalk in the end. It's a good and cheap method of maintaining alk and Ca levels if you know how to use it

• 2 weeks later...

IMO unless your tank is SPS intensive with colonies. I don't think you will need additives for Mg. Regular water changes should replenish the levels

My tank has mostly LPS softies and a frag of encrusting sps and my Mg levels are nicely maintained with water changes using a good salt mix

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1993263&highlight=kalk+2

According to renown Harvard Chemist Randy Holmes-Farley:

Unfortunately, it is a very poorly designed product that won't work. It has very little magnesium in it, but even that will precipitate out in limewater as magnesium hydroxide.

Really, this is a pitiful product. Not enough magnesium to be useful even if it worked, and it won't work.

It is a marketing gimmick.

:)