Review on Ocean free Hydra Stream

NemoFinder

Seem like this products has not be discussed here before for marine setup, so i hope by starting this thread to share this interesting new products which i discover month ago during aquarama.

post-22764-0-72299000-1384867469_thumb.j

post-22764-0-17389700-1384867475_thumb.j

post-22764-0-44345900-1384867480_thumb.j

Recently, I was recommended by a friend whom is into discus to tried out this new product from Ocean free which make alot of big claim, and it also seem to start gaining popularity in the freshwater community. From the boxes and chart information on the booklet, It was said that the Hydra utilize the " Hydro-Pure Technology" which enable you to cycle your tank instantly and enhance your biological filtration and water condition greatly . Unfortunately not much detail information has been given on the box and booklet on exactly the science behind how it really works . :blush:

post-22764-0-85184700-1384867485_thumb.j

Packaging of the Hydra stream when i unbox it

However from my own research and understanding, the filter work by generating of hydroxyl radicals thru electricity in a anaerobic chamber which consist of a catalyst block which the packaging assure me that is is not carbon, despite looking, smelling and sounding like carbon when it touches water.Till date i am still puzzle exactly how it really work but after running in my sump for about 1 month now, Apart from checking at the parameter which all remain in check, i could see that the water is clearer, and algae growth on the live rock seem to be reduce as well my N03 seem to drop as well from 100ppm to 80 ppm but i am not 100% sure if it is due to this or my bio pallet working.

post-22764-0-23647700-1384867490_thumb.j

post-22764-0-92879700-1384867493_thumb.j

There is two metal or zinc looking plate alike inside the chamber of the Hydra which i was told that it is completely safe to use even in marine without worry of rusting.. Another mystery about this product :P

i like the fact that the Ocean free hydra " Biological filter" run almost instantly without the tradition way of cycling the tank and building up the bacteria inside the bio media which usually take weeks or months. I will be getting the smaller version of the Hydra for further use on temporary QT setup .

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Actually i was wondering the result of the use as well. Was checking it out at qian hu today and if the marketing is to be believed.... we no longer need a protein skimmer if you run the hydrastream technology. Can it be so??? It also is attractive because it, and a dry pump can be run outside the water, keeping things cool. I can not find anything on the web except a 'practical fishkeeping' review from 2012, except the author just says that he's skeptical.... kind of a waste review actually. Does anyone have any water parameter or coral growth experience to share? Thanks!

** Coming Soon ** 4x2x2 from Oceansing

1) Red Sea Max 130D

Stunner LED strip 24v 453nm Actinic Blue

2) 130liter nano from Pasir Ris... generic, but fun!

3) 300mm cube tank
Ecoxotic Par 38 tri-colour, PAR38 Aquarium LED 6-453nm Blue 4-6500k 2-Red
Eheim-Compact 600 Return Pump