1000 Gallon 3D Hole in the wall

Harlequinmania

• SRC Supporter

ahh another thing, if possible, do a floor trap or a culvert in the room, for the discharge of the water..

Hi bro,

thanks for sharing this, but is alittle bit too late now as i already cater for the basin instead of this .. :(

• SRC Supporter

Won't the outdoor storage of RO/DI water cause the water to heat up on hot days?

Yes it may heat up the water a bit but the water storage water outside will only be used for water change so i think i wouldn't store unused water for long outside. I will also build another shelter outside covering over it in the garden very soon ,

• SRC Supporter

During my hunt for a simple Washing basin which should fit for a long term use in a humidity room filled with saltwater, i am looking for alternative materials apart from the stainless steel kitchen washing basin which is commonly available in the market . As such, i think the ideal materials would be plastic which is light , anti rust and cheap i suppose ..

The hunt is not easy, and i have been searching around the store and luckily i found this online at aliexpress . Cheap and fit for my purposes for some simple maintenance of cleaning my skimmer cup and hand . :yeah:

The parcel came in early just in time , but have to do some own DIY piping work i suppose.

Basin2_zps2ac2f66c.jpg

basin1_zpsa2ae3142.jpg

• SRC Supporter

Tank Design and concept

I would like to share a little bit about the concept of this tank design. Having survive a few mishap in my reefing days, where there is instances of either your main pump get jam / spoil , tank temperature went up too high or too low or even a power failure we suffer a partial or full tank crash. To avoid all these, i tried to plan this tank system with key reliable equipment all with a back up ( I.e; using two return pump instead of one ect.. )to avoid the Murphy's Law . Together with the aid of monitoring and backup system like the battery pack, cooling fan , computer ect i could get notified before damage is even done to the reef tank.

• SRC Supporter

After doing a detail study of the whole fish room again, i decided to move back my sump tank back below the main tank to save space .

Revised detail layout of the fish room

20131225_1304543_zps072c423c.jpg

• SRC Supporter

Champion tank !! Can't wait for the house warming !! Pot luck, I bring roast pig for you bro !!

Do you smell what my tank is cooking..

Sure.. Thanks for your Roast pig in advance :drunk:

• SRC Supporter

Sump Design

The original Idea / concept of my sump tank design come about when i first saw the Dream Box by Royal Exclusive. Although i like the filter sock and chamber design , i modified the design to replace some filter sock section to bio tower where i could hold cotton wool for first stage of waste removal, the Filter sock will then remove the rest of the debris on the second stage of mechanical filtration . I hope this will also reduce the frequency i need to wash the filter sock.

dreambox_zps679520cf.jpg

dreambox4_zpsf12715a5.jpg
Dream Box sump by Royal Exclusive above

The second section of the sump i incorporate the biological filtration section using moving bed filter media which consist mainly of K1 and Hex X bio media. I prefer this to static biological media since it self clean and seem to work better than traditional Bio media.

My Sump Design

20131225_1304312_zps55afc59d.jpg

• SRC Supporter

Preparation of Rocks

Decided to use Dry Rock this time round instead of live rock for the fear of pets and it is easier to set it in place before water go in. However i will have to live with the " ugly look " until the rock mature .

Some of the rock pics

20131224_145530_zpsf562aa0d.jpg

20131224_145032_zpsc9b2e5fd.jpg

20131224_145024_zpsc50c8f74.jpg

20131224_145017_zps211c4ef0.jpg

Special thanks to MadPetz Ken who gave me this special DIY rock below of his :)

20131224_145021_zps9129e7a2.jpg

20131224_145012_zps3272acec.jpg

• SRC Supporter

Preparing of the Rock.

I " Cook" all the rock with two round of RO/DI water with a little bit of lanthanum chloride in a big tube to help remove any residue or phosphate that might be present in the rock.

Let the cooking begin ...

20131224_145533_zps2ba14b2e.jpg

20131224_151929_zpsc1064d30.jpg

• SRC Member

I love the rocks.... I thought they look Nice !!!!

Can I invite myself to visit your place when the Reno & Tank has finally set in ? I know I am a bit thick skin but just too good to be miss la.. LOL

Definitely camping here! Way to go Larry!

Specs

Return pump: 2 x Eheim 1260 (with 1 pumped to chiller before returning to main)
Chiller: Hailea HC-500A (1/2 hp)
Skimmer: Deltec SC2060
Lightings: 8 x 24W ATI Sunpower T5 fixture
Wavemakers: Vortech MP40, MP10, Tunze nanostream 6045
Additives: TLF C-balance (2 parts Ca and Alk) via Kamoer 3 channel dosing pump; Polyp-lab Reef Resh; FM color elements

"cook" as in you boil it or just add DI water?
Its a curing & cleaning process to prepare live rocks. U dun really boil it though the term may be misleading. U can google to understand it better.
  • Like 1

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.