1000 Gallon 3D Hole in the wall

Harlequinmania

• SRC Supporter
On 7/19/2016 at 10:09 PM, sharonleong said:

I'm wondering how the result like for you after using AIO does it really bring down the nitrate down to zero?

For P04 remover did you try using?

Seachem - PhosGuard

i didnt use this before, but i find that RowaPhos still is the best in term of p04 absorption and duration.  

• SRC Supporter
On 7/19/2016 at 0:53 AM, DerrickLim said:

Did you put your S6 underwater to take the photos? Haha

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

photo taken on top of the water using a acrylic box. :evil:

• SRC Member

Just came across this, and must say the entire set-up is mind-blowing. It is a dream tank, but I doubt I wld hv the dedication, stamina and perseverance for such a gigantic endeavour... even if I had the resources. 

• SRC Supporter

i always though flatworm is found only on LPS and SPS, but last weekend , i found a giant Flatworm pest in a recent zoas rock that i bought. Always remember to dip newly bought corals .. 

• SRC Supporter
32 minutes ago, sharonleong said:

What you normally dip it with?

It depend on the coral , i usually do a two step "Kaisu" coral dip which for normal LPS coral i would usually dip with first coral RX then rinse and dip again with Lugol solution which is iodine.  

For SPS , which is more sensitive, i would dip with either Potassium chloride powder or Coral RX then with lugol solution ( iodine ) . i find that coral RX is not as effective as potassium base coral dip against flatworm. You need to dose alot of coral RX in order to see the Flatworm drop. 

Whereas for zoas , the best way i find to clean the pest is to flush the rock with Fresh water spread and then dip in lugol solution again . The reason for flushing with freshwater is to try flushing away hard to remove nudi, and it;s eggs that is commonly found on zoas polyp, follow by a Lugol solution bath again before going into the tank. I will also try to remove as much as possible base rock of the corals which could contain flatworm eggs, or bristle worm ect which cannot be remove by dip alone or naked to our eye. 

The lugol solution( Iodine ) not only act as a coral dip that help remove pest, it also serve as a disinfectant to help coral heal from stress from the first coral dip.

• SRC Member
23 hours ago, he said:

It depend on the coral , i usually do a two step "Kaisu" coral dip which for normal LPS coral i would usually dip with first coral RX then rinse and dip again with Lugol solution which is iodine.  

For SPS , which is more sensitive, i would dip with either Potassium chloride powder or Coral RX then with lugol solution ( iodine ) . i find that coral RX is not as effective as potassium base coral dip against flatworm. You need to dose alot of coral RX in order to see the Flatworm drop. 

Whereas for zoas , the best way i find to clean the pest is to flush the rock with Fresh water spread and then dip in lugol solution again . The reason for flushing with freshwater is to try flushing away hard to remove nudi, and it;s eggs that is commonly found on zoas polyp, follow by a Lugol solution bath again before going into the tank. I will also try to remove as much as possible base rock of the corals which could contain flatworm eggs, or bristle worm ect which cannot be remove by dip alone or naked to our eye. 

The lugol solution( Iodine ) not only act as a coral dip that help remove pest, it also serve as a disinfectant to help coral heal from stress from the first coral dip.

Woah.. it Not that simple..

1st  first coral RX Normally how long you dip? after dipping rinse with tap water or Tank water?

2nd Lugol solution which is iodine.  how long is the dip?

Since SPS is sensitive you use potassium chloride... Can it be use on LPS?? You mention that you had to dip a lot in order to see the flat worm drop.

Meaning to say RX is not very effective.

Whereas for zoas , the best way i find to clean the pest is to flush the rock with Fresh water spread and then dip in lugol solution again .

Doesn't flushing with fresh water kill the zoas? let it run under tap water?

Nudi that a slug aren't they good marine algae cleaner?

Does all your live rock went for dipping too?

• SRC Supporter
Woah.. it Not that simple..

1st  first coral RX Normally how long you dip? after dipping rinse with tap water or Tank water?

2nd Lugol solution which is iodine.  how long is the dip?

Since SPS is sensitive you use potassium chloride... Can it be use on LPS?? You mention that you had to dip a lot in order to see the flat worm drop.

Meaning to say RX is not very effective.

Whereas for zoas , the best way i find to clean the pest is to flush the rock with Fresh water spread and then dip in lugol solution again .

Doesn't flushing with fresh water kill the zoas? let it run under tap water?

Nudi that a slug aren't they good marine algae cleaner?

Does all your live rock went for dipping too?

When dipping LPS coral with coral Rx, I will rinse with tank water and never with freshwater.

I find that coral rx is good for lps coral but not as effective for sps coral pest. Yes potassium chloride will work on lps coral as a dip as well.

For zoas , yes you hear me right , I uses freshwater jet spray over the rock for a few seconds , and then soak it back with saltwater. The zoas will not be harm in this way unless you are going to dip in freshwater for a long period of time.

Not all Nudi are reef safe, I think you are referring to sea hare that look abit like slug that eat algae.

I use mainly dead rock during my new setup so wouldnt have any pest issue. If you are using live rock, you can dip the rock in high salinity water ( 1.30 and above) and all invert , pest inside will die but maybe not 100% . This way, you can remove the pest while helping to keep the live rock "alive"

Hope it helps

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

• SRC Member
On 7/27/2016 at 0:08 AM, he said:

When dipping LPS coral with coral Rx, I will rinse with tank water and never with freshwater.

I find that coral rx is good for lps coral but not as effective for sps coral pest. Yes potassium chloride will work on lps coral as a dip as well.

For zoas , yes you hear me right , I uses freshwater jet spray over the rock for a few seconds , and then soak it back with saltwater. The zoas will not be harm in this way unless you are going to dip in freshwater for a long period of time.

Not all Nudi are reef safe, I think you are referring to sea hare that look abit like slug that eat algae.

I use mainly dead rock during my new setup so wouldnt have any pest issue. If you are using live rock, you can dip the rock in high salinity water ( 1.30 and above) and all invert , pest inside will die but maybe not 100% . This way, you can remove the pest while helping to keep the live rock "alive"

Hope it helps

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Hello still learning..

1.I don't really understand are there different kind of pest that some love to stay in either LPS /SPS?

I would like to understand, which is cheaper potassium chloride or coral RX?

If i dip LPS in potassium chloride i just throw the entire LPS in, do i need to mix potassium chloride with tank wank or it in liquid form? If it by mixing what the ratio?

2. For zoas is this the steps?

Jet spray few mins.

To use as a dip for corals, in a separate bucket add 40 drops Lugol`s Solution to 1 gallon aquarium water, and immerse coral for 10-15 minutes.

Once done put back into the tank. By doing this all the pest and bacteria will be killed.???

Specifications 

Directions:
Lugol`s Solution is VERY strong, and must not be overdosed! Add 1 drop per 25 gallons aquarium capacity weekly to sump or an area of high water flow. Can also be diluted in one cup of aquarium water and administered directly over xenia colonies or soft corals with rigid tubing or a pipette. Do not mix with other supplements outside the aquarium. To use as a dip for corals, in a separate bucket add 40 drops Lugol`s Solution to 1 gallon aquarium water, and immerse coral for 10-15 minutes.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Kent_Marine_Lugol%60s_Solution_1_oz._Iodine_Iodide_Additives_Supplements-Kent_Marine-KM3611-FIADII-vi.html

Yes purple color kinda pretty.. Do you have it in your tank?

Ok great I will be setting up soon i will use this for all my live rocks to kill those unwanted pest. I read up other dose vinegar what the purpose?

What the recommended duration?

• SRC Supporter
hi bro

what happened to your bandit angel? dont see it in the videos!

It suddenly stop feeding and pass away..managed to kept it for about 10 month though, still don't know yet what's the cause of death.

• SRC Supporter
On 7/29/2016 at 11:10 PM, sharonleong said:

Hello still learning..

1.I don't really understand are there different kind of pest that some love to stay in either LPS /SPS?

I would like to understand, which is cheaper potassium chloride or coral RX?

If i dip LPS in potassium chloride i just throw the entire LPS in, do i need to mix potassium chloride with tank wank or it in liquid form? If it by mixing what the ratio?

Jet spray few mins.

To use as a dip for corals, in a separate bucket add 40 drops Lugol`s Solution to 1 gallon aquarium water, and immerse coral for 10-15 minutes.

Once done put back into the tank. By doing this all the pest and bacteria will be killed.???

Specifications 

Directions:
Lugol`s Solution is VERY strong, and must not be overdosed! Add 1 drop per 25 gallons aquarium capacity weekly to sump or an area of high water flow. Can also be diluted in one cup of aquarium water and administered directly over xenia colonies or soft corals with rigid tubing or a pipette. Do not mix with other supplements outside the aquarium. To use as a dip for corals, in a separate bucket add 40 drops Lugol`s Solution to 1 gallon aquarium water, and immerse coral for 10-15 minutes.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Kent_Marine_Lugol%60s_Solution_1_oz._Iodine_Iodide_Additives_Supplements-Kent_Marine-KM3611-FIADII-vi.html

Yes purple color kinda pretty.. Do you have it in your tank?

Ok great I will be setting up soon i will use this for all my live rocks to kill those unwanted pest. I read up other dose vinegar what the purpose?

What the recommended duration?

Hi Sharon,

Quite a lengthy question, but i will try to help and answer you while i can. 

Quote " 

I would like to understand, which is cheaper potassium chloride or coral RX? - Potassium chloride powder, but it is not proven for effective removal of all type of pest found in coral which is why i uses both. Common pest found on SPS is AEFW ( Aco eating flat worm ) and LPS has more pest issue which includes, bristle worm, fire worm, nudi, flatworm ect... 

- Yes mix the Potassium chloride with tank water during the dip process. i use one tea spoon for about 2 litres of water. 

Jet spray few mins.

- Sorry correction, it should be flush with freshwater for a few second and not for a few minute which might be too stressful for the zoas. Generally speaking yes, the bacteria on the live rock that contain on the zoas may be affected, but since the live rock on the coral is not intended to use as a biological filter anyway, so i dont see any side effect . More importantly the zoas is not harm. 

Some uses vinegar or vodka as a carbon source in the tank for nutrient reduction, but i wouldnt recommend this method as it is too dangerous which might cause a tank crush .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2016 at 6:17 PM, he said:

It suddenly stop feeding and pass away..managed to kept it for about 10 month though, still don't know yet what's the cause of death.

thats the "problem" when keeping "difficult" fish

you already did and gave the best but...

i bet he enjoyed the 10 months stay