Joe's 3ft Salted Journal

JoeyBabooey

Hi guys,

Finally took a step forward and got a new tankset. After tinkering with my first saltwater tank (freshwater converted) and had success with keeping fish and coral alive for close to 7 months now, it's time =) First of all, i would like to thank all reefers here that i had met along the way in person and on the forum giving me valuable education in the reefing side of things.

This tank will be a mixed reef, largely dominated by LPS corals. I'm a fish guy as well so will be hunting for sweet specimens a long the way, stocking slowly and hopefully, smartly. This project will be a slow progression. They say it's good to take your time, right? Don't have much time on my hands due to work and other commitments at this moment but i will do my best to push along and will surely keep updating this journal. From equipments to livestock and I hope that through this, will give newbies like me the confidence in starting their own piece of the ocean.

Here's what came in last week from Vincent of Aquarium Artist, one of the sponsors here.

It is a 3ft x 50cm x 50cm tank. Very happy with the workmanship so far. Silicon work is clean, cabinet is neat and piping work is sturdy.

813FD98D-46E5-48D9-8E6D-1020498B493F.jpg

Here's where the magic happens. The lifeblood of the system. Within the cabinet, sits the sump.

First chamber is the filter sock, then the water flows into the next chamber that holds the skimmer, which then flows into a small refugium and lastly the return chamber.

Have already put up the powerpoints for the equipment, and also bought a gravitational feed water container for automatic top off water.

8B53B224-C1EA-41B6-B58F-AF38D5E80C27.jpg=

• SRC Member

Nice tank..my tank done by Vincent too..

Running any chiller?..if no, ur top up tank a bit small..

Do note on ur power supply sockets..might have water moisture inside cabinet..the salt content will b dangerous..

Hope to see more pics coming along..

Cheers

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Member

I am expecting a tank to be completed by Vincent too in this Thursday and Friday.

And my tank is about the same set up like yours 2.5X2X1.5 feet.

I am wondering how would you solve the Power Supply sockets as water moisture inside

the cabinet might damaged this electrical part. I intend to put up the power supply sockets

above the sump just like yours.

• SRC Member

Try to cover the power sockets with plastic sheets as splashing is inevitable.

When the filter sock gets clot water will overflow from the top with alot of bubbles and from what I see

your right side sockets will get hit.

Can't see your cabinet clearly but seems that there are not much openings for ventilation, if so this will

cause condensation inside the cabinet.

• SRC Member

One good way is to get marine grade outdoor electrical sockets..they came with covers..but I would presume they are costly..

Other way like covering up the sockets with plastic sheet can work too..but its not 100% protection so do change new sockets if get rusty..with plastic sheet shd b able to last more than a year ba..salt mist @ the sump inside the cabinet is inevitable..for me, I would prefer to have the sockets outside the cabinet..like hide behind or beside..can clean the cabinet internal better..

I think having good ventilation inside cabinet will help too..cheers

@ 291213

• SRC Member

Use arcylic sheet cover the filter sock compartment and add a fan to get the air out of the cabinet would help.

Second that bro..can use those plastic like cardboard from popular bookstore..easier to cut to shape..I did that..pic can b found in my tank thread..

Sad to say, even with fan getting air out of the cabinet, things inside will still b contactable with salt content..be it more or less..so metal parts will sure rust to time..the fan used to ventilate oso need to clean n change to time..salt will form up inside the shaft, on the blade, on the casing, etc..

Nevertheless, reefing is fun..think of better way to do thing will b fine..inovate new ideas..happy reefing..

Keep the pics coming..cheers

@ 291213

Here's where the magic happens. The lifeblood of the system. Within the cabinet, sits the sump. First chamber is the filter sock, then the water flows into the next chamber that holds the skimmer, which then flows into a small refugium and lastly the return chamber. Have already put up the powerpoints for the equipment, and also bought a gravitational feed water container for automatic top off water. 8B53B224-C1EA-41B6-B58F-AF38D5E80C27.jpg=
The sump layout exactly like mine. Camping here for more updates.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Here's where the magic happens. The lifeblood of the system. Within the cabinet, sits the sump.

First chamber is the filter sock, then the water flows into the next chamber that holds the skimmer, which then flows into a small refugium and lastly the return chamber.

Have already put up the powerpoints for the equipment, and also bought a gravitational feed water container for automatic top off water.

8B53B224-C1EA-41B6-B58F-AF38D5E80C27.jpg=

Nice looking sump. but your electrical point is :excl: ...I've seen some that made a cover for the cable extension, something like what you see from the circuit box.

Nice tank..my tank done by Vincent too..

Running any chiller?..if no, ur top up tank a bit small..

Do note on ur power supply sockets..might have water moisture inside cabinet..the salt content will b dangerous..

Hope to see more pics coming along..

Cheers

Hey bro! thanks for dropping by!

Yup! will be running a 1/4 HP chiller for this tank so no worries for the evaporation rate =)

I am assuming that the evaporation rate for freshwater (i had 2 freshwater tanksets running sump before) and saltwater is the same. sooo.. the 4L Top up container should be good for 2-3 days max... according to some loose calculation. Will be a problem when i go overseas for sure. Will definitely look into an auto top off system in the near future for sure!

Hey guys!

Thank you all so much for your tips and suggestions! Definitely should take those into account =)

1) With regards to the power points in the cabinet... There unfortunately is no way it can be outside the cabinet. It will be unsightly and wiring will be tough...

Based on your good suggestions, I will DIY an acrylic box to cover the power points. Will update the processes here when i get to it after CNY =) The moisture i think is no choice... but for sure need to prevent actually splashing.

2) I am not too sure about how bad the salt misting will be for a sump setup.. i sure hope it wont be too bad! *STRESS* hahaha... well thanks for pointing it out! I should cover the first chamber for the filter socks... I will most probably DIY an acrylic box cover for the first chamber then.

3) Overall moisture within the cabinet... is sadly a very hard thing to combat i'm sure. My previous sump + cabinet setup, i had run various types of fans as well. From plastic computer fans to those ANS brand metal fans. Sure they could be cheap but no matter what, i will have to change them every few months which unfortunately became expensive in the long run... somehow they just stop working and got very dirty. Most probably will just leave the doors open if ventilation is a serious issue...

Do let me know if there is something else i should be thinking of or if you have other ideas to combat the above issues.

Thank you so much guys!

Nice tank.... Wat skimmer u using?

Thank you! credit goes to Vincent for the tank =)

Skimmer wise, will very likely go with the Deltec SC1455.

Had thought of other brands before but overall, Deltec seems to be the way to go? Just need to really convince myself to part with that much more money for it.. hehehe!

Vincent sump design is one of the best i seen. Very nice tank set.

Keep the updates coming.

I agree! I initially thought of another design based off those american branded acrylic sumps but after Vincent explained the flow of things in a sump, it made so much more sense...

Thank you so much for dropping by! Will definitely update as it comes along =)

The sump layout exactly like mine. Camping here for more updates.

Hehe! Very lucky to have a similar layout to the senior reefers like yourself.. at least there are somethings that can be confident that will work.

Thank you! Will surely put in effort to keeping this journal updated.

Okay,

So along the topic of moisture and salty air and ever-so-annoying rust, as i was staring into the cabinet thinking of how to improve the issues, i remembered something nice that Vincent did... at least there's something in this cabinet is not a lost cause that needs constant replacing.. hahaha!

STAINLESS STEEL HINGES (marine-grade apparently)

3607EAB8-5497-4E21-9AE8-FF30E85AFFEE.jpg

If you have not got yourself some, i think you should!

Okay,

So along the topic of moisture and salty air and ever-so-annoying rust, as i was staring into the cabinet thinking of how to improve the issues, i remembered something nice that Vincent did... at least there's something in this cabinet is not a lost cause that needs constant replacing.. hahaha!

STAINLESS STEEL HINGES (marine-grade apparently)

3607EAB8-5497-4E21-9AE8-FF30E85AFFEE.jpg

If you have not got yourself some, i think you should!

Don't forget the Hinges are also soft closing...

• SRC Member

Even with chiller. Evaporation is much greater compared to freshwater. I probably top up about 10l per week to my 250l tank. But I have a huge surface area of 4x2 feet.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

Upz man! Awesome Thread! .keep Updating haha cool tank..note bro Powerpoint The Springs screw inside will..spoil timers also..try making a box for them..And Run A Exhaust Fan..Dont Lah Stress .haha Looking forward to more updates!..Cheers!

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member
Okay, So along the topic of moisture and salty air and ever-so-annoying rust, as i was staring into the cabinet thinking of how to improve the issues, i remembered something nice that Vincent did... at least there's something in this cabinet is not a lost cause that needs constant replacing.. hahaha! STAINLESS STEEL HINGES (marine-grade apparently) 3607EAB8-5497-4E21-9AE8-FF30E85AFFEE.jpg If you have not got yourself some, i think you should!
mines All Rusted Ahh Haha

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html