Newbie!!! Advise/help needed

BC82

Hi all, Newbie here!!! Planning to setup a mini marine tank with FOWLR and some hardy coral. Tank size is abt 20x20x20cm(Know its tough, but my table is small). Looking to keep 2 small fishes(Clown Fish) with shrimp. Can someone guide me along with the type of equipment and dosing required. (Note : Budget abt $200 including Live Stock/ Rock/Sand, everything required and test kit)

1) Tank( Already had!)

2) Filter? Is Hang-On filter enough? Which type is ok? Brand?

3) Skimmer? Is it required?

4) Lights? Is Par38 cost high? Looking at LED light. looking at table top lights with adjustable arm. Any other brand to recommend? Cost?

5) Sump? No place for it. Any other options?

6) Filter Media? Please recommend, dun wan to be high maintenance ( Can last long time )

7) Fan? Using air con in office / bedroom (Is it suitable to keep in bedroom?)

8) Test Kits? Please recommend type and brand and price.

9) Wave maker? Can I use a bigger size HOF to create the flow? else can recommend?

10) Live Rock? Where can I get? How much should I get? Planning to scape a centre piece with hole in the centre so that the fish can hide and swim across.

11) Live Sand? Where can I get? How much should I get? Is it required as I using Live Rock?

12) Marine Salt? Which type is recommend? Dun understand also.

13) Others? ( Let me know what I miss out, Would wan a complete system that can be used and easy maintenance)

Please try to advice in the most laymen term. I wish to try out this hobby that's why go small and see how it goes before I jump into the ship.

Please let me know where I can get the items from as well. Wont mind second-handed items as well. Would be best if someone can sell me the entire setup + Coaching + teaching as well. haha

Thanks In ADVANCE!!!

(Ps : Max size tank I can use is abt 30cm)

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Whatsapp savy? Contact me 0167427131

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member
Hi all, Newbie here!!! Planning to setup a mini marine tank with FOWLR and some hardy coral. Tank size is abt 20x20x20cm(Know its tough, but my table is small). Looking to keep 2 small fishes(Clown Fish) with shrimp. Can someone guide me along with the type of equipment and dosing required. (Note : Budget abt $200 including Live Stock/ Rock/Sand, everything required and test kit) 1) Tank( Already had!) 2) Filter? Is Hang-On filter enough? Which type is ok? Brand? 3) Skimmer? Is it required? 4) Lights? Is Par38 cost high? Looking at LED light. looking at table top lights with adjustable arm. Any other brand to recommend? Cost? 5) Sump? No place for it. Any other options? 6) Filter Media? Please recommend, dun wan to be high maintenance ( Can last long time ) 7) Fan? Using air con in office / bedroom (Is it suitable to keep in bedroom?) 8) Test Kits? Please recommend type and brand and price. 9) Wave maker? Can I use a bigger size HOF to create the flow? else can recommend? 10) Live Rock? Where can I get? How much should I get? Planning to scape a centre piece with hole in the centre so that the fish can hide and swim across. 11) Live Sand? Where can I get? How much should I get? Is it required as I using Live Rock? 12) Marine Salt? Which type is recommend? Dun understand also. 13) Others? ( Let me know what I miss out, Would wan a complete system that can be used and easy maintenance) Please try to advice in the most laymen term. I wish to try out this hobby that's why go small and see how it goes before I jump into the ship. Please let me know where I can get the items from as well. Wont mind second-handed items as well. Would be best if someone can sell me the entire setup + Coaching + teaching as well. haha Thanks In ADVANCE!!! (Ps : Max size tank I can use is abt 30cm)
Hi Bro 1st thing welcome to the hobby..note params in small tanks change faster..Yes A Skimmer Is Requied..par38 Dont cost Much..For Setup That Small You Would Need just one..Live Sand..You could Try Iwarna They Have Caribsea Substrate..Salts too..Temp for those livestock need to be 26-28 Degress..Running A Fan Would be ok..But makesure you..Topup Fw..Evaporation..Waters gone..=to more salt..Basicly A Tank That Size would new Water changes only..no dosing Needed..Waterchanges with new salt will help.They Are So Many LFS in SG..Even in this Forum..You could visit..them...most of the things you stated above are Available At your local lfs..hope this helped..Happy Reefing

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

$200 I think can be achieved if get freebies and 2nd hand items here from fellow reefers. A bit difficult though but possibilities are there. If need coaching, here got a lot of gurus.

I remembered when I just started, using existing 30x30x30cm tank come with lights, purchased live rocks, sand, filter media, salt, no skimmer, DIY cpu fan... all less than $200. But not include livestocks and corals.

Need to closely monitor water parameters though. A lot of top ups and regular water change needed. Slight deviation in parameters may cause harm to livestock.

Happy reefing and welcome to this poisonous hobby... :D

Thanks for the quick respond and offers.. But can someone advice on the equipment required? As in more specific? Kind of lost. So many products in the market. That's why asking for recommendations. Dun know which way to go. Or anyone hse available for coaching? Tea and refreshment on me. Haha

• SRC Member

The tank (8 litres volume) is too small to support anything decently. Stocking guidelines generally recommends that 9 litres to support 3cm of fish. I recommend that you consider small gobies or trimmas as they stay tiny. As for equipment, I recommend a HOB filter to provide both filtration and flow. The HOB will also add a bit more water volume. LED lighting is sufficient. It'll be quite difficulty or you to keep any coral as unless your tank is in an aircon room. Fans will evaporate your water very fast creating rapid water chemistry fluctuations.

Marine tanks require 4 basic types of equipment - lighting (led, t5), filtration ( skimmer, live rock, sand), flow ( wave maker, power head) and temperature ( fan, chiller). The myriad of equipments available are all permutations of these 4.

Easiest and cheapest way to maintain water quality in such a small tank is frequent water changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

Will a 30x20x20 tank be better? I am looking to keep a pair of crown fish. Which type of HOB filter would be recommended? Btw tank will ether be in the office or bedroom.

It is possible. I have done it before, but with an even smaller tank. Of course, upgraded after 6 mts. As they say, the bigger the better. As for hob, since tank is in bedroom or office, you would be better off with a silent one. get the largest possible one too.

As for your lightings, par 38 is okay but pricy. I would recommend you spend money on yr filteration than on lighting as you hv a limited budget.

For filter media, i would recommend biohome.

First, you have to decide if this is just try try for fun and you will never upgrade due to space, or you do have plan to eventually upgrade. A small tank will get filled very quickly and you will lost the thrill and excitement as quickly as your tank get filled.

If you have intention to upgrade to a 2 or 3 feet tank later, you should go and look at more tanks. Get "poison" before buying your next item. Else you end up spending $$$ and then have to sell away all items when you upgrade.

If you have limited space and 100% not upgrading, then a tank with IOS is better. Can't buy much with $200/-, you don't need a good light if you are not going corals. Nano-skimmer is a waste of money, just do weekly water change will do. A hang-on fan is more important since you are unlikely to get a chiller.

1) Tank( Already had!)

2) Filter? Is Hang-On filter enough? Which type is ok? It really depends on ur tank size and what ur stocking lvl is like. Hang on filter will not be sufficient if u need high turnover or have high amount of fishes

3) Skimmer? Is it required? Get a hang on board skimmer, boyu has a cheap HOB, or can try bubble magus, skimmer is highly recommended to maintain good water quality, esp impt in marine keeping

4) Lights? Is Par38 cost high? Looking at LED light. looking at table top lights with adjustable arm. Any other brand to recommend? Cost? Again, depends on ur tank size, par38 is resonable and the full spectram ones are good enough for majority of corals, just make sure u consider how many bulbs u need to cover the area u have. alternatively, get like the cheaper azonic t5 light set and upgrade the bulbs. make sure u vary the colour of the bulbs.

5) Sump? No place for it. Any other options? if u run a canister filter (tends to build up nitrate if u dont clean it often), and a HOB skimmer, a sump will not be necessary, but obviously if u can get a sump, it will be better

6) Filter Media? Please recommend, dun wan to be high maintenance ( Can last long time ) For mechanical filter, get either a filter sock (clean regularly), or just use normal filter wool and change out when required. For biological, use coral chips or bateria housing media, ie. Bacteria king

7) Fan? Using air con in office / bedroom (Is it suitable to keep in bedroom?) Can be kept in the bedroom, air con will be the best due to high amount of evaporation which will offset ur entire water chemistry. Fan will work too, but make sure u top up with water consistantly.

8) Test Kits? Please recommend type and brand and price. Go with salifert test kits. avg price is $15 to $25

9) Wave maker? Can I use a bigger size HOF to create the flow? else can recommend? Get a small nano wavemaker, like a tunze 6025. Again, depends on tank size, HOF may be enough.

10) Live Rock? Where can I get? How much should I get? Planning to scape a centre piece with hole in the centre so that the fish can hide and swim across. Live rocks can be bought from marine fish farms. Scaping is personal, get the right shapes n sizes and do whatever u please.

11) Live Sand? Where can I get? How much should I get? Is it required as I using Live Rock? U dont really necessary require live sand, but will speed up the cycling process

12) Marine Salt? Which type is recommend? Dun understand also. Marine salt depends on what u planning to keep. Fishes only, the salt brand doesnt really matter. Personally there are a couple of better brands like red sea pro, tropic marine, DD oceanic. Also depends on ur budget

13) Others? ( Let me know what I miss out, Would wan a complete system that can be used and easy maintenance) U dont need all the fancy whistles and bells. A simple mechanical filter, skimmer, return pump, wavemaker, lightset.

Other fancy stuff to consider if u have the budget. An RO/DI unit for salt mixing, a reactor for removing phospate n nitrates, a auto top off system to maintain water lvls, a dosing pump for addictives (only if u have loads of corals and dont do regular water changes), a chiller to maintain constant temp, a uv steraliser for disease prevention and maintain water quality, a magnetic scrubber. Like i said, these are only necessary if u wan the whole package. If u maintain water changes most of these aint even required.

I recommand getting min a 2ft tank. any smaller it wont even please u after a while, much less the fishes. a 2ft tank cost like 50 bucks. y not?

I Love Stagsss

2) Filter? Is Hang-On filter enough? Which type is ok? Brand? Base on yr tank size, u are tied dwn by choice. For filter, maybe u can try ehiem if budget allows. For hang over, hope yr tank can withstand. 3) Skimmer? Is it required? Same as hang over filter. Baoyu has nano skimmer. Bubble magus QQ is gd for its cost and performance but think yr tank may not allow. Remember skimmer will eat into yr tank space unless u get those self prim but not very effective. I may have one to give n I think is redsun. If u do regular water chge, not nessary. 4) Lights? Is Par38 cost high? Looking at LED light. looking at table top lights with adjustable arm. Any other brand to recommend? Cost? If u going on fish only with hardy corals like leather, mushroom, etc, no need par. Overkill. Can choose those led or fl lightset. 5) Sump? No place for it. Any other options? U can try canister but must wash often to prevent nitrate build up. It will add heat as water pass thr it. Yr set up May have getting one low flow rate type. 6) Filter Media? Please recommend, dun wan to be high maintenance ( Can last long time ) Bio home or those bacteria king, etc if on budget. 7) Fan? Using air con in office / bedroom (Is it suitable to keep in bedroom?) Fan high evaporation n cos salinity to go up fast for small setup. Aircon can but do u turn on 24hrs? 8) Test Kits? Please recommend type and brand and price. May not be necessary. Cycle yr water longer. U will need refractometer more to test yr salinity. 9) Wave maker? Can I use a bigger size HOF to create the flow? else can recommend? U may only rely on yr return or filter Sys to create current. Yr tank size is small, adding wm will take space. Hydor, baoyu, has nano wm. 10) Live Rock? Where can I get? How much should I get? Planning to scape a centre piece with hole in the centre so that the fish can hide and swim across. Most marine lfs can get. Go choose a big n nice pc. They go by kg. 7 to 16 per kg. place like coral farm, Iwarna, t95, etc. 11) Live Sand? Where can I get? How much should I get? Is it required as I using Live Rock? Yr setup is small. If u go to some farm to buy things, cAn get free at time or wait for ppl to decom to take. 12) Marine Salt? Which type is recommend? Dun understand also. Marine salt is for u to mix saltwater yrself rather than go buy new seawater. Blue treasure, Red Sea salt etc are economic salt. No need to go high end if u not keeping spses, etc. 13) Others? ( Let me know what I miss out, Would wan a complete system that can be used and easy maintenance) Good for u to go see real life setup to know more. Hard to pen dwn everything. All the best.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

Thanks all reply!!!! Btw I am intending to try out this setup first before I go into the open sea... Dun wan to go into big setup first. Let me do a quick summary. I wan a Tank with Coral, Fish & Rock.

1) Tank ( No problem)

2) Filter? ( Using Hang over filter, does Hang over filter comes with built in skimmer? Possible to DIY?)

3) Skimmer? ( As above, side track a bit, if I go into 2ft tank, still possible to go without sump? Dun like to have a sump)

4) Lights? ( Using LED light with adjustable arm, dun wan T5 / FL lights. Understand Par38 is overkill, but the option to upgrade and reuse the light is higher. Par38 light can use till 2ft? )

5) Sump? ( Not using it, but if 2ft tank, possible to go without it? Purpose of Sump = Mechanical filter + Skimmer + Bio Bacteria + better piping management on the tank? )

6) Filter Media? ( Using Bio home, without any filter wood? Possible? Where will all the waste go to? )

7) Fan? ( Using Air-con, Temp should be around 25C.)

8) Test Kit? ( Any brand also can, Need to get all test kit?)

9) Wave maker? ( Think will go without it, see how it goes )

10 & 11) Live Rock & Sand? ( Should be getting live rock only )

12) Marine Salt? ( Think quite standard, just get any available)

13) Others?

New Question

1) Filter = Does the Hang On Filter act as mechanical or Bio Filter?

2) Lighting = How to know which is enough? I wan a LED light set that can allow me to upgrade to 2ft. Possible to DIY?

3) Sump = Is it necessary? What will happen if I do without it?

4) Skimmer = Is it necessary? What will happen if I do without it?

Am I on the right track? Please guide me, dun let me go the wrong way. haha

• SRC Member

This tank setup might b something u think of setting up..this hobby do required a lot of reading up, understand it n experienced it..thing don't always go the way even though u follow the same way..welcome to reefing..cheers

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

Hi all!!! Got my nano tank from someone friendly here!!! It's a 25x25x30 tank with ios. Will be keeping some zoas as a start. Can someone advise me wat filter median to put in Iso? Having live rock and Sand now.

Without a doubt u need mechanical and bio filtration bro. Go with filter wool, and the bio home. For chemical filtration, I suggest just regular water changes to keep ur phosphates low. R u running a skimmer? Also, remember to give the tank time to cycle before u make any impulse buys and end up killing everything.

I Love Stagsss

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all expert!!! Got question required answering again. Given a choice, which skimmer will u choose and why?

Redsea prizm protein skimmer vs tunze 9004 DOC skimmer?

Current setup up 25x25x30, possible upgrade to max 2ft tank without sump else will be either 1ft or 1.5ft.

Dun know which of this is suitable? Please advise.

With your tank, just change water weekly and dont waste money on skimmer. If you upgrade to 2ft, then consider skimmer. Both skimmer is too big for your tank. All skimmer should work well except those using air stone which performance not so good. Usually buy oversize abt 2x of your tank will do and not necessary go hunt for so call the best performance skimmer unless your pocket very deep.