Par38 Led light

BC82

Hi all, can someone advise on the type of par38 led light that is suitable for which type of tank? Example:how many watt per bulb and type of colour. (maybe 3watt/LED 2white&3blue total 5 LED suitable for 2ft tank?) And full spectrum meaning wat?

Any LED expert can advise?

• SRC Member

Full spectrum meaning the light set gives light in the range of 400nm to 700nm, important for corals or plants photosynthesis. Hyperviolet, ~415, blue, 450 to 460nm. Green & yellow falls in the range of 500 to 600mm, Red @ 660 to 670nm. Some LEDs even goes down to 380nm. Anything lesser than 380nm will get more & more dangerous to living cells.

• SRC Member

Watts per gallon rule is not applicable for LEDs. A good quality LED will give u more than 1 Watt per gallon. This rule is more for T5 or metal halide. For depth, 120 degree optics for LED will give more spread but less depth penetration, 90 degree less spread but more depth & follow by 60 degree. 60 degree will produce 'disco' effect. Most commonly used is 90 degree optics. What is the depth u had in mind when u ask about how deep the light will penetrate & what u intend to keep on the lowest point?

Per blub can cover how much length? Even at a height of 2ft? Wat will happen if I use 3w2b or full spectrum? Whats the main difference?

Just want to share the difference. Top pic using only 9x1w white(x6) and blue(x3)LED. Below pic is when using 12x3w full spectrum: 6 royal blue, 2 violet, 1 red, 1 green, 2 white.

Posted Image

• SRC Member

Use the full spectrum. Good for growth & color or in other words, balanced for corals growth & color. IMO, I would use 3 PAR38 LED for 3ft lenght, 1 for every 1ft in tank lenght for sufficient coverage. How high to hang above your water level, that would be dependent on the corals. It is good to start higher, slowly lower down, 1 to 1/2 inch per week. As long as no corals bleaching, it is good. Any negative signs, put back at the previous position or slightly more & observed closely again. Most hung @ 10-15 inch above water level but it really depends on the optics of that LEDs & for those controllable LEDs, the intensity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Use the full spectrum. Good for growth & color or in other words, balanced for corals growth & color. IMO, I would use 3 PAR38 LED for 3ft lenght, 1 for every 1ft in tank lenght for sufficient coverage. How high to hang above your water level, that would be dependent on the corals. It is good to start higher, slowly lower down, 1 to 1/2 inch per week. As long as no corals bleaching, it is good. Any negative signs, put back at the previous position or slightly more & observed closely again. Most hung @ 10-15 inch above water level but it really depends on the optics of that LEDs & for those controllable LEDs, the intensity.

Bro Where Did You Get Your Par38's?..care To Share?..taught of supplementing my R420R As The Actinics Dont Have Enough Green LeDS..Also like the blueish spectrum

Cheers!

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm pretty new to Reef tanks, but coming from my experience with hi-tech planted tanks... I am a firm believer that people use way too much light these days (With the exception of many SPS corals that of course need much higher light) That being said, I agree that the 12 watt fixture might be too little. I have an 12x3w full spectrum PAR38 with 6 blue 4 white and 2 UV hanging about sixteen inches off the top of my 20 Long that supported the tank alone for a while (mostly softies at that time) Now I built my own little fixture to go with it using two 10w blue/white hybrid multichip LEDs from ebay that I got for $12. Using an old PC power supply, the PC heatsink, a pair of lenses from ebay and some resistors I fashioned up a little fixture that compliments the PAR38 bulb. It kicks on for about 4 hours midday and all my coral are healthy and already showing signs of growth.

• SRC Member

post-22894-14010945852059_thumb.jpg

I like n support full spectrum. . My zoas are growing well... My 2feet running on 3 x full spectrum plus 1 x full blue. . Just contributing abit. . Cheers. .

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Bro. I'm not sure. But it's not cree definitely. . Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
I was not specific... I meant how many degrees lens you're using?

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...