Test kits - which is better

Ken_ng

Dear reefers

I'm currently using the following test kits to determine the state of my tank

1) API ammonia

2) API nitrite

3) API nitrate

4) Seachem phosphate

I have heard and seen the salifert test kits. However I never had any experience with them.

Would anyone here be able to share their experience here on the salifert test kits?

Are they more accurate than the other brands Sera, API, tetra & etc?

Are the salifert test kits easier to use and measure?

When I test the phosphate value in my tank and compare it to the reference solution which comes together in the kit, they all become the same colour if I leave them standing after a while. Anyone has the same experience?

Thanks in advance!

• SRC Member

I would prefer using saliert test kit for Ca & KH. They use the titration method which i think is quite good in accuracy. A few steps involved but after constant use, u will get the hang of it. For low PO4 & NO3, D&D is one of the few that can detect very low concentrations with different colors which u cannot go wrong. However, they re higher in price, diificult to get the refills with a longer shelf life & not so good for high concentrations. Example for NO3 > 20, all red colors. Hanna checkers, i find them difficult to handle, especially during pouring of reagents into their small bottles. U will need to have very delicate & agile fingers to do that. For others like pH & ammonia, i have no experience, so no comments.

Thanks bro reeffish and mkpara.

If I'm running a nano and planning only on LPS and softies, what kind of parameters should I be aiming for?

Also how much on ave does the salifert kits cost?

Do they have a phosphate kit?

Bro reeffish

I think the timing for the seachem phosphate to turn colour is essential.

The instructions said that if levels are low, the right colour change would be within 5secs.

Have you verified the readings before?

So far for CA,KH and MG. Salifert is ok.

For NO3 Red Sea Pro and for PO4 Hanna is good.

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

Bro ken, LPS can tolerate slightly higher NO3 compared to SPS. Range between 20-30 is ok for LPS. Softies can tolerated slightly higher NO3 compared to LPS. For PO4, all types of corals benefit from low PO4 levels. Try to achieve as low as possible. LPS also consume Ca to build their skeleton body during growing, so maintain your Ca above 400. However, LPS does not consume too much compared to SPS or clams, unless u have the tank full of them. A nano tank should do fine with regular WC to replenish whatever is needed. However it is still necessary to monitor Ca, Mg, KH, NO3 & PO4 as tanks conditions varies. Your tank will be different from mine & others. That is why test kits are important. They will tell u whether your tank patameters are ok or not.