Pico SPS tank

Firestarter

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Bad news.

Came back this week with my SPS half dead.

Checked the temp and it was 28'C from the usual 24-26'C. My other tank is doing fine.

I guessed the HOB and wavemaker must have heated up the smaller tank quite abit.

Jade Green digitata and pink monti cap seem to have pulled through, along with some others.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• 5 months later...
  • SRC Member

6 months after starting up this tank, would like to post an update of the recovery of the SPS, just for document sake. :)

Lost almost half of the SPS over the weekend due to kalk overdose. This tank has since been decom and the SPS are now back in my home tank.

Some pictures of the SPS that made it. Its been a good run and I'm glad I managed to save these corals.

The before pics are the same pics that were posted at the start of the thread.

First up, my best recovery of all, jade green digitata. Got it as a small frag (few cm), grew to out and was totally bleached, stark white.

post-13947-0-54751600-1410712955_thumb.j

Green monti & jade green digi sharing a small rock. Bleached.

post-13947-0-43789700-1410712968.jpg

Unknown monti. Injured but recovered and its now bigger and encrusting downwards.

post-13947-0-84826500-1410712977.jpg

Pink salmon. Totally bleached. Stark white.

post-13947-0-79165400-1410712989_thumb.j

post-13947-0-36128900-1410712996.jpg

post-13947-0-57088900-1410713002.jpg

Pocci. Browned out and waiting to RTN. Made a comeback after some TLC.

post-13947-0-78312700-1410713008.jpg

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

Good job bro firestarter. Perhaps you can share what you did these 6 months to get these sps to recover? I'm sure this will benefit anyone with bleached sps. Thanks.

Aquarium 3 - 250 liters with sump and refugium

Jebao DC 6000 pump with speed controller

Skimz skimmer

AI Hydra 52 HD

Hailea HS-66A (1/4 hp) chiller

Maxspect Gyre

TLF Phosban reactors with Phosban

Tunze nano osmolator

Marine Magic Triplet Dosing

Aquarium 1 - 27 litres

Atman HF-0600 HOB filter

Maxspect Razor Nano 60W (10,000 K)

AOL 60 litres chiller

Tunze Nano Osmolator

• SRC Member
Good job bro firestarter. Perhaps you can share what you did these 6 months to get these sps to recover? I'm sure this will benefit anyone with bleached sps. Thanks.
Low lights, low to medium flow, feed it alot and watch out on water params. As long as polyps show, its still alive. The coral will also turn brown first before colouring up.

Gd job, bro.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

Some of the corals may look slightly different from the before pic as I trimmed parts that were affected by algae.

Left this out.

Pink monticap which I would had kicked myself if it didn't recover.

post-13947-0-15501200-1410759050.jpg

• SRC Member

Bro low lights mean a lot more blue and less white?

More blue and less white is recommended, or place the SPS in a fully shaded area.

Most of the time when SPS bleach its because of high lighting. When bleached, they have already lost most of their zoox algae so they can't primarily rely on photosynthesis for food. Feeding more helps them to regain energy to get the zoox algae back. During this period, a low light is needed so as not to cause the algae to expel.

I observed that it took about 2-3 months for the SPS to regain back to a brown colour.