skimmer keeps overflowing

ml708

• SRC Member

after I feed, the skimmer will start to froth up and overflow. it gets really annoying and even if I shut off the skimmer, it will overflow when I switch it on like about an hour or two later.

any ways to prevent this?

Hmm, Is your skimmer sitting at the correct water level? Any airflow or water output adjustments? I cant say for sure, but my guess is the water level where your skimmer is sitted is incorrect. Might wanna check out the specs for it.

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

yeah I adjusted the water output level to the highest level as well as the lowest level.

of course with the highest level we get the fastest water outflow, but with the lowest level, it takes awhile for the container to fill, but it does overflow if I leave it for about an hour.

air flow is as per normal, nothing unusual in the amount.

the cup itself is way above water level.

i see. In that case, have u checked if the skimmer is sitting at the correct water level? I had the same issue with my Bubble magus. its rated to sit at 8 to 10 inches. I had it at 6 inches and kept overflowing even at the lowest water output.

I Love Stagsss

• Moderators

another thing you might look at is the type of food u r feeding your fishes.

Some of the frozen food in the market can be a little more "potent" and thus the skimmer might overwork after feeding.

So far, i have not come across dry food which does that.

Tom

• SRC Member

another thing you might look at is the type of food u r feeding your fishes.

Some of the frozen food in the market can be a little more "potent" and thus the skimmer might overwork after feeding.

So far, i have not come across dry food which does that.

Agree.. high possibility due to the type of food..

Whenever i feed dry pellets my skimmer stops foaming for a few hours then resume normal operation, opposite to your situation..

Maybe you can show a photo of your skimmer water level during normal operation?

• SRC Member

what Are You Feeding?

Differ food changes the density of water cauaing overflow

Mysis etc will cause overflowing if you do feed mysis makesure to run the cube under FW..to clear off..best is pellet..but some type of pellet also can cause..Different types of supplements too..

..the Best Thing you can Avoid That Food

Cheers! :)

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

What kinda skimmer are u using?

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

mine is a deltec skimmer, most of the food I feed is frozen, such as reef gels for filefish and mysis for flashlight fish. I wish I could find alternative food sources but they have shown no interest in other types of food

• SRC Member

mine is a deltec skimmer, most of the food I feed is frozen, such as reef gels for filefish and mysis for flashlight fish. I wish I could find alternative food sources but they have shown no interest in other types of food

One Tip For You..Wash Mysis cube under FW for 3 minutes maybe into a Strainer..Then feed..your skimmer water level drop forawhile Only Wont Overflow..

Cheers!

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

usually when feeding frozen food or pellet food, skimmer will stop skimming for a while & not overflow, this is something different ... reef gels or mysis make your skimmer overflow?

yeah mine overflows like crazy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Let your skimmer sit below a container to raise the height and readjust your water level to neck of skimmer body.

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• Sponsor

There are a variety or reasons a skimmer may overflow. The first is simply because it is new! They need a week or two to break in. We recommend one let our skimmers actaully overflow without the cup for a day or two to break them in.

Then, the water depth in which the skimmer stands is a factor, as well as the air/water mix being pumped through the skimmer and its flow rate. Depending on the skimmer, there are a variety of methods to adjust these parameters and they will need occaisional re-adjusting.

As an example, the Vertex Omega skimmers have a volute at the pump head to fine tune the water-air mix, which creates finer or coarser foam. Bigger bubbles create a dryer skim, while finer tend to create a wet skim. Too much air draw and the pump will cavitate. This is when the air amount is so large that the pump starts to pulse due to lack of water flow!

Adjusting the flow-rate through the skimmer is done from the stand pipe. This gives the basic flow rate of water and is the first item to adjust when setting up a new skimmer.

Assuming a skimmer is properly adjusted, the next variable is the organic load. In new tanks it is typical for the skimmer to foam very little. This is due to there being little to skim! On the other hand, sudden loads of cleaning agents will cause large bubbles that overflow the skimmer. This often happens when one changes out the filter sock or accidentally gets a bit of window cleaner into the system. The resulting overflow is sudden and strong, with large bubbles. If the bubbles are fine, instead of coarse, then this is a sign of something protein-like, such as foods. Dry foods are often suspect, but any oily food may cause this. Fish eggs, etc. are very oily.

That said, frozen foods are really low on the list of overflow- causing culprits. Most of the time it is a case of adjusting the skimmer properly, or simply having the correct skimmer for the tank.

Hope this helps you find a solution,

Jamie

Jamie Vande

Vertex Aquaristik

Cologne, Germany

www.vertexaquaristik.com

jamie@vertexaquaristik.de

• Sponsor

My skimmer goes a little crazy after I change my filter sock. Any idea why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it new or just freshly laundered? I take it you are seeing rather large bubbles suddenly and the overflow is very wet, open foam. Typical from detergents in the sock. I always give my sox a good rinse in clear water before using them. This minimises the effect or removes it completely.

Jamie

Jamie Vande

Vertex Aquaristik

Cologne, Germany

www.vertexaquaristik.com

jamie@vertexaquaristik.de

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

wat is the skimmate like? It happen when the water level is too high. there should be optimal level. we raised the skimmer and it stopped over folowing. normally overflow means like the main tank water. if so its not skimming. if overflowing means very very formy until fill up the cup. its doing its job. too much protein. At least tats wat we think in our house