First Nano

TanWeiSongBeck

• SRC Member

Hi fellow reefers,

I will be embarking soon in my first nano reef. I am going to get a second hand 34L tank from a fellow reefer in here, with FOC live rocks and sands. I have some questions that I would like to ask for my first try.

1. Is it required to have a skimmer if I am fine with doing frequent water change?
  2. What is the recommended number of fishes that I can keep.

I am actually thinking of just having a DIY refuge that also acts as a water flow, so I can save the budget on a wave maker. No skimmer just relying on frequent water change.

For small nano tanks, frequent small amount of WC should do the trick.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Yup +1 on frequent water change. Recommend to keep ur fish stocking slow for a tank that size. depending on what kind of fishes u looking at keeping. Ie one tang can produce more Crap than maybe 2 or 3 damsels. Also consider swimming space for the fishes. I personally recommend getting Nano fishes. Like Clown goby, or small blennys. Do a search on Nano tank fishes. Plenty of options there.

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

yup. considering stocking the tank with only clowns, blennies and goby. corals will be mostly zoas, mushrooms and poly. i am getting the tank this weekends. seller will be giving me live rocks and sands. will need to keep it in salt water with flow right? is it ok with i just get a ehiem water pump to provide the flow and cycle for 1 month until I got budget to get my other stuff?

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Fellow reefers. I am thinking of getting a zero di 3 stages from madpetz would it be sufficient? I am planning to keep softies in my tank.

I am also planning to upgrade my stock water pump with eheim compact 600. Will it be sufficient to provide me the water flow for the corals or do I need to get a wave maker? If require a wave maker, what do you guys recommend?

Because I started using pre mix salt water from madpetz. Since I plan to get a di unit. Would you guys recommend using red sea coral pro or h2 ocean?

I am currently staying in sengkang and the block is around 10 years old. Anyone staying the same area knows the TDS for our tap water? Wondering if I can do top up using tap water in my area.

My tank comes with a built in filteration compartment. After my cycle finish, I will be putting chaeto in the middle compartment. For the first compartment I am planning to use chemi pure elite with filter pads. Or do you think I do not even need chemi pure and filter pads?

My planned schedule will be water change of 15 to 20% weekly.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Singapore tap water rate around 70-80. If you going to keep softies can save money using tap water. But remember must dechlorine before use. Your tank only 34l should be not much problem. Both salt can use depend on your budget ba.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Yay fellow sengkang reefer :D for a small tank like that you can considered buying distilled water from ntuc, save you money and space on the ro/di unit

Where do you stay? I am near to fernvale area. Maybe next time can go LFS together when my cycling is done :D I am going to try using dechlorinated tap water see how is the result.

Where do you stay? I am near to fernvale area. Maybe next time can go LFS together when my cycling is done :D I am going to try using dechlorinated tap water see how is the result.

I stay compassvale area :D yeah that's a good idea! Btw if you need cheap supplies can go seaview aquarium, very near fernvale! Or aquamarin @ jalan selaseh. All the best for your new tank!

I just went to aquamarin yesterday. Not as good as it was last time. The sales person like so slack. And I even saw one tank for dead juvenile blue tangs.
All dead? It was still all alive last fri.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Blue tang sometimes sleep with their body flat on the ground or like to lean against some hard object like LR.

hahaa. i see. then maybe i have mistaken. new lesson learnt. :lol:
No worries, I could be wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Nassarius snails are good at eating dead or decomposed organisms. I suggest you keep them.

Aquarium 3 - 250 liters with sump and refugium

Jebao DC 6000 pump with speed controller

Skimz skimmer

AI Hydra 52 HD

Hailea HS-66A (1/4 hp) chiller

Maxspect Gyre

TLF Phosban reactors with Phosban

Tunze nano osmolator

Marine Magic Triplet Dosing

Aquarium 1 - 27 litres

Atman HF-0600 HOB filter

Maxspect Razor Nano 60W (10,000 K)

AOL 60 litres chiller

Tunze Nano Osmolator

• SRC Member

Nassarius snails are good at eating dead or decomposed organisms. I suggest you keep them.

Keep them better :) they will help you to eat : detritus, fishe waste... Cheers

thanks guys for the advise. but my tank is quite small after minus the in built filter housing at the back. around 7 gallon only. so I sold 3 out of my 5 nassarius snail. got my 3 fenestrate snails to help me clear my algae problem too. waiting for another 1 to 2 weeks to stocking up my tank :D

• SRC Member

My nano tank after 1 month of cycling as of 29 March 2014 using just live rocks and sands.

post-20194-0-37169500-1396424652_thumb.j

Bought some equipment along the way:

1 x Par38 - 6 blue (455nm) + 6 white (8000k)

1 x tunze compact 1000

1 x jebao wp10

Filtration wise I am running through sponge -> chemi pure elite -> chaeto

Gotten 2 nass + 3 fenestrate snails to help me clean up the tank from diatoms and algae as of now.

• SRC Member

Hey bro, nice set up. Simple and neat nano. What u planning to keep? And whats your water change regime like?

Thank you. I am planning 1 or 2 times WC weekly. Am planning to keep mainly zoas and plays. And maybe a torch. Other than that will see if space allows more corals.