Bio pellet and rowaphos

• SRC Member

My 1st Tank was 7ft x 1.5ft x 2.5ft come with a sump 2ft x 1ft x 2ft (12mm) with full height cabinet all made of plywood, NSW and some clown fish and chromis no LR at $8k.

The new tank was quoted about $7k, removal and disposal of existing tank about $800 . Comes with kapor stucture full cabinet 7ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft(15mm), a 4ft x 1.8ft x 1.5ft sump, a 1ft x 1.8ft x 1.5ft QT and all the wirings.

I intend to hang up the lights so should not be a problem. Problem is i don't know if my existing light is big enough for my new tank.

Wow... new tank not cheap. Who is your tank maker?

Hanging or using stand. The bracing may block your light. So the less bracing the better. That's why i meant need to plan properly.

Wow... new tank not cheap. Who is your tank maker?

Hanging or using stand. The bracing may block your light. So the less bracing the better. That's why i meant need to plan properly.

Actually i got a few quote they quite pro and price oso the better 1 already and they will advice me what to look out for.

i see, for the bracing. no idea whether it will block but my existing tank is ok so i think shd be no problem also. just afraid the beam will not be wide enough. but if so maybe i get a wider lens and diy myself

DT 7ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft
Sump 4ft x 2ft x 2ft
2 x Jebao Wp60
2 x 5000 GPH Return Pump
1 x Teco Tr20 Chiller
4 x 150w Led Light Set
Np Biopellets

Ultraphos
Bubble Magus C99

Chaeto Refugium

2 x T5

Rowa only required surface agitation while biopallet required more turbulent flow. If connect directly to rowa first to bp, it will surely flush all the media away right...? :dunno:

let me check it out with the shop.

DT 7ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft
Sump 4ft x 2ft x 2ft
2 x Jebao Wp60
2 x 5000 GPH Return Pump
1 x Teco Tr20 Chiller
4 x 150w Led Light Set
Np Biopellets

Ultraphos
Bubble Magus C99

Chaeto Refugium

2 x T5

• Sponsor

This is a recurring subject, as many bio-pellet users have trouble maintaining a low PO4. Others have no troubles keeping both at almost undetactable levels with the pellets alone. The big questions is why?

From a purley scientific point of view, we simply have more PO4 to assimilate in proportion to the NO3. The assimilation of these waste products is largely governed by the Redfield Ratios, which state for every atom of P(phosphoros) assimilated, one requires 16 atoms of N (nitrogen) and 106 atoms of C (carbon): 106C:16N:1P. This is not always the exact case, but the principle does apply. It is the basis of carbon dosing technique.

One can add a PO4 adsorber to bring the PO4 down, but this may lead to a rise in the NO3 levels. A balance is possible, but may be difficult to create. Another approach is to add nitrogen to the system in the form of ammonia or a nitrate. This supports the Redfield Ration and both waste products can be kept under control. I use this method in one of my larger tanks, where I feed lots of PO4 rich foods. Keeping the NO3 between 1-2ppm seems to work well. Once the PO4 is is at the desired level, it may remain so without additional nitrate, or it may require regular nitrate dosing. In any case, one should be monitoring for these two waste products regularly.

Pellets must be kept in an aerobic state for the best function. This means in constant movement with O2 rich water. A skimmer is required for such system to harvest the excess bacteria, which tends to assure a high O2 level.

here is a guide ot bio-pellets:

Jamie

Jamie Vande

Vertex Aquaristik

Cologne, Germany

www.vertexaquaristik.com

jamie@vertexaquaristik.de

Thanks jamie for the clear explanation. But one contradicting things about using the bio pellets which u mention about is using bio pellet to remove NO3 but on the other hand u need to dose nitrate to make sure the redfield ratio is correct if not there will be problem controlling PO4. Qns is if that is the case y should we remove nitrate?

I hv been reading thru quite a few forum,online articles there are successful stories of having ULN tank and high nutrients sps tanks. And i was looking thru those pics and i was thinking most of their tanks are full of corals and most pple saying corals need little NO3 and PO4, will it be the case because they have so much coral and the coral absorbs most of them and gave out different nutrients which reefers don't measure that made the tank thriving?

Sorry if said something wrong i'm still very new in this hobby just wanna know more stuff which is unclear for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

DT 7ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft
Sump 4ft x 2ft x 2ft
2 x Jebao Wp60
2 x 5000 GPH Return Pump
1 x Teco Tr20 Chiller
4 x 150w Led Light Set
Np Biopellets

Ultraphos
Bubble Magus C99

Chaeto Refugium

2 x T5

• Sponsor

Thanks jamie for the clear explanation. But one contradicting things about using the bio pellets which u mention about is using bio pellet to remove NO3 but on the other hand u need to dose nitrate to make sure the redfield ratio is correct if not there will be problem controlling PO4. Qns is if that is the case y should we remove nitrate?

I hv been reading thru quite a few forum,online articles there are successful stories of having ULN tank and high nutrients sps tanks. And i was looking thru those pics and i was thinking most of their tanks are full of corals and most pple saying corals need little NO3 and PO4, will it be the case because they have so much coral and the coral absorbs most of them and gave out different nutrients which reefers don't measure that made the tank thriving?

Sorry if said something wrong i'm still very new in this hobby just wanna know more stuff which is unclear for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very good questions!

As I mentioned, the Redfield Ratios are not a firm formula in all instances. They reflect the general building blocks of marine plankton, which are pretty universal in the oceans. There are other processes involved in the consumption of nitrogen, but fewer processes that require large amounts of phosphoros (many are anaerobic, as well). This is why we often see an imbalance in a closed system (an aquarium). If we did not constantly add an imbalance to the closed system, generally as food, then the system would remain more stabile.. But we don't maintain our system in such a balanced manner. We over feed or maintain animals with a preference for, for a better word 'dirty' foods, we over crowd, often favouring specific animal types and we change our minds! Always looking for something new.

Fine, so are aquarists and this is one of the reasons why larger systems are easier to keep stabile. there are simply more players involved.

Corals, although they come from nutrient poor environments, we shouldn't consider these environments sterile. They are simply so full of players that the available nutrients will always remain scarce in comparison to the takers. Corals DO use large amounts of nitrates and phosphates, as well as calcium, magnesium and other trace minerals. In a tank these tend to be abundant to the point of becoming a hinderance. There is a point where the measurable amounts may seem high, but they are in constant circulation going from raw material to complex tissues and back to raw material in a nice balanced cycle. Admittedly, such tanks are rare, as we do fiddle with our systems too much. Still, they are the proof that the Redfield principle functions.

There are many factors involved in a succesfull marine system. Water circulation, along with proper lighting are at the top of the list. Along with nutrient management (filtration), they build the golden triangle of reefing. Reefs are highly oxygenated, quick-moving environments. The metabolism is high. Most tanks do not reach this level, but we still manage to create workable environments where animals thrive for long, possibly indefinite periods.

As you probably have noted, there are many well-proven methods of maintaining a healthy marine reef environment. The current trend is to better understand and manage the available nutrients, instead of removing them toatlly, only to replace them with addatives. This has made pellets popular as a general bacterial food source. We are still collecting data and learning, but this is a fascinating method, which, although may well go over the head of many aquarists at the moment, will set a new basis in the near future.

It never gets boring with marines.

cheers,

Jamie

Jamie Vande

Vertex Aquaristik

Cologne, Germany

www.vertexaquaristik.com

• SRC Member

Very good questions!

As I mentioned, the Redfield Ratios are not a firm formula in all instances. They reflect the general building blocks of marine plankton, which are pretty universal in the oceans. There are other processes involved in the consumption of nitrogen, but fewer processes that require large amounts of phosphoros (many are anaerobic, as well). This is why we often see an imbalance in a closed system (an aquarium). If we did not constantly add an imbalance to the closed system, generally as food, then the system would remain more stabile.. But we don't maintain our system in such a balanced manner. We over feed or maintain animals with a preference for, for a better word 'dirty' foods, we over crowd, often favouring specific animal types and we change our minds! Always looking for something new.

Fine, so are aquarists and this is one of the reasons why larger systems are easier to keep stabile. there are simply more players involved.

Corals, although they come from nutrient poor environments, we shouldn't consider these environments sterile. They are simply so full of players that the available nutrients will always remain scarce in comparison to the takers. Corals DO use large amounts of nitrates and phosphates, as well as calcium, magnesium and other trace minerals. In a tank these tend to be abundant to the point of becoming a hinderance. There is a point where the measurable amounts may seem high, but they are in constant circulation going from raw material to complex tissues and back to raw material in a nice balanced cycle. Admittedly, such tanks are rare, as we do fiddle with our systems too much. Still, they are the proof that the Redfield principle functions.

There are many factors involved in a succesfull marine system. Water circulation, along with proper lighting are at the top of the list. Along with nutrient management (filtration), they build the golden triangle of reefing. Reefs are highly oxygenated, quick-moving environments. The metabolism is high. Most tanks do not reach this level, but we still manage to create workable environments where animals thrive for long, possibly indefinite periods.

As you probably have noted, there are many well-proven methods of maintaining a healthy marine reef environment. The current trend is to better understand and manage the available nutrients, instead of removing them toatlly, only to replace them with addatives. This has made pellets popular as a general bacterial food source. We are still collecting data and learning, but this is a fascinating method, which, although may well go over the head of many aquarists at the moment, will set a new basis in the near future.

cheers,

Jamie

this is good information right there. :bow::agreed:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• SRC Member

Very good questions!

cheers,

Jamie

this is good information right there. :bow::agreed:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

Ok sure can do...do update...!! Thankx..

Bro check with the shop already u can't do that. as bio pellet gives out broken bio stuff if directly go into fr no good.

DT 7ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft
Sump 4ft x 2ft x 2ft
2 x Jebao Wp60
2 x 5000 GPH Return Pump
1 x Teco Tr20 Chiller
4 x 150w Led Light Set
Np Biopellets

Ultraphos
Bubble Magus C99

Chaeto Refugium

2 x T5

• SRC Member

urevytub.jpg3y3eba6y.jpg6uvu7uda.jpgysybypat.jpg This is the existing tank Very empty nv stock up as wanna redo it to a bigger width and dun like the overflow design in the center which is facing my main door. Now at the stage of designing the sump for the new tank whether wanna put both reactor n FR in and with/without refugium. Headache. Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

omg...thats a really big tank i would like to have...

• Sponsor

for a coral only tank...just sps corals for e.g....wud just putting a skimmer be sufficient without any other sort of filtration methods?

Are you thinking of a tank without fish? Only corals?

I wouldn't advise this, as the corals do need nutrients and the fish (and other higher marine life) provide this. The trick is the balance, which will change as the fish grow.

In theory, all is possible, but may actually involve more work/maintenance than creating a balanced community. In short, I would always have a few fish, even if the tank is to be coral oriented. They do not need to be large. And i would use some kind of biological filtering, along with the skimmer. It may be possible to do this without the addition of organic carbon (pellets)

If one has a tank with only a skimmer, which I have done many years ago, you will need water changes,to help replenish trace elements, etc. and may/will still require some type of coral feeding.

There are many degrees of filtration that work in specific incidences. Creating a STABILE balance is the key to any successful marine system.

I hope this helps,

Jamie

Jamie Vande

Vertex Aquaristik

Cologne, Germany

www.vertexaquaristik.com