ZOA melting away

Bought 3 rocks of Zoa about 3 weeks ago. introduce it to my tank and its all blooming happily.

Recently, my zoa is slowly losing its stalk one by one. I believe its "melting" away? On the first day, it was all blossoming and full, but now theres patches and its "balding".

My water parameter is fine. Nothing that i can point out that might contribute to the zoa melting away. Im really at lost. But i wanna rescue my zoa at the same time. Any bros can give a helping hand and advise? :mellow::mellow::mellow::mellow:

• SRC Member

I Know you said your params was ok but can please state it bro..Hmm zoas are hardy could also be due to pest/Lights..try Moving them to bottom and giving them a Coral DIP..That would kill pest and not eggs..get a Sixline Wrasse..Would Also help.. with eggs..If you have time stalk at night see any thing crawling zoa spidets,nudis or anything.. But a coral dip would kill them off,,Hope this helps bro do update us! :)

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

Had this issue before. I did a research and it pointed to "zoa pox". Try reading up on this and see if u have the similar issue. It was doing fine for weeks, and one day the zoa pox took over

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

Yeah a Pic would be better

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

I have encountered one of my zoa frag melted off and some colour faded due to sudden high drop in KH so monitor your KH closely.

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

Here is the pic the day i introduced it to the tank and as of now.

http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/hollymollyg/media/IMG_4721.jpg.html'>IMG_4721.jpg

http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/hollymollyg/media/IMG_4722.jpg.html'>IMG_4722.jpg

I dont know what i should do. Consulted Henry MarineLife, he told me the best is to sacrifice it. But i can try coral dipping. What should i do next?

I have read and came across "zoa eating nudibranch". and yes, i saw a few on my wall glass. Could that be the cause of it? Should i freshwaer dip the zoas to kill all this nudibranch? The one that is in my tank look exactly like this. Could this be the zoa eating nudibracnh?

http://www.saltyunderground.com/images/twoBerghia.jpg

From your picture, dun look like melt off but instead pest invasion. My advice is take out all your zoas and dip with coral RX or TLF ReVive Coral Cleaner immediately.

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

From your picture, dun look like melt off but instead pest invasion. My advice is take out all your zoas and dip with coral RX or TLF ReVive Coral Cleaner immediately.
Thanks for the advise. Beaide madpetz, where else can i get TLF Revive coral cleaner? Probably on the west side? How about Salifert flatworm exit? Is it as good?

For all the Zoas and some lps that I bought, I always dip them in freshwater for a few minutes before putting them in the main tanks to prevent introduction of pests or unwanted organisms. You would be surprised at the types and numbers of such creatures that were removed in the process. I have mostly seen Zoas eating nudibranchs which turned brown in freshwater, bristle worms and crabs.

Aquarium 3 - 250 liters with sump and refugium

Jebao DC 6000 pump with speed controller

Skimz skimmer

AI Hydra 52 HD

Hailea HS-66A (1/4 hp) chiller

Maxspect Gyre

TLF Phosban reactors with Phosban

Tunze nano osmolator

Marine Magic Triplet Dosing

Aquarium 1 - 27 litres

Atman HF-0600 HOB filter

Maxspect Razor Nano 60W (10,000 K)

AOL 60 litres chiller

Tunze Nano Osmolator

Prior to buying dips for my zoa, i killed ALL the nudibranch that i saw on my glass of tank. Killed approximately 30-35 nudibranch. Hunt day and night for it and keep looking at the tank walls from all angles.

Then i bought Lugols solution and finally dipped the zoas in. A couple more nudibranch came off together with a few worms.

Now, my zoa is finally opening up and theres no more nudibranch that i can see on my tank walls!!! but there is still about 5 nudibranch stuck in my ios i do not know how to get rid of them!

• 3 weeks later...

watch out for crabs, I ever bought one palm size and put at one corner of my 3 ft tank. next day, it move to the other extreme corner of my tank. take it up to realise a big hairy crap is the culprit moving the whole rocks together with the Zoas. :blush:

• 2 weeks later...