How to catch/trap unwanted fish in your reef tank?

Hi reefers,

Recently, backside itchy and added a flame angel to my reef tank. 1st wk was ok but after that as it get acclimatized and bolder, it went on to nip on my Christmas tree worm, German blue digi, jade green digi, superman monti and some of my other acros. Cos after its introduction, there's no or in some case very little polyps extension. I did saw it nipping on a few occasions.

So my question is how to trap or catch it out?

I've been trying for a wk, got a hangon fish trap/isolation box to trying bait it in. Put some prawn meat but it juz won't go in. Any suggestion from experts on how to catch it?

Thanks in advance for all valuable advise.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

so far the isolation box (with front cover) works well for me.

you have to put the box in the tank for days or weeks so that the fish gets familiar with it..

drop the fish food into the box regularly so that they know that's the place to get food.

>>

Admiraltian, backside itchy, just scratch it. Leave the flame angel alone. Here's why:

Flame is a nipper. Goes round nipping, corals and all. But soft nipping, not pulling off the tissues or polyps.

Your flame, being new, is more inquisitive and you, being new to it,are more sensitive to her action.

Agreed, there will be less PE, but nonethesis, no harm done to the corals.

You have a red beauty, actively swimming about in the tank, enhance the delights of your reef.

It's so natural, as opposed to a tank with corals and no fishes

After some time, the corals and the Flame will get use to the environment, hence less nipping on the corals and more pe. But not like before.

I am speaking with experience. But the choice is yours.

Backside itchy, scrAtch it Hard.

post-74-13943408591267_thumb.jpgpost-74-13943408717789_thumb.jpgpost-74-13943408891428_thumb.jpgpost-74-13943408992633_thumb.jpg

Here's my Flame. Your story was my story. But the ending , depends on you. Mine is a happy ending with the Flame.

Cheers

YT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Admiraltian, backside itchy, just scratch it. Leave the flame angel alone. Here's why:

Flame is a nipper. Goes round nipping, corals and all. But soft nipping, not pulling off the tissues or polyps.

Your flame, being new, is more inquisitive and you, being new to it,are more sensitive to her action.

Agreed, there will be less PE, but nonethesis, no harm done to the corals.

You have a red beauty, actively swimming about in the tank, enhance the delights of your reef.

It's so natural, as opposed to a tank with corals and no fishes

After some time, the corals and the Flame will get use to the environment, hence less nipping on the corals and more pe. But not like before.

I am speaking with experience. But the choice is yours.

Backside itchy, scrAtch it Hard.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394340858.723089.jpg{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394340871.479716.jpg{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394340888.813056.jpg{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394340899.079386.jpg

Here's my Flame. Your story was my story. But the ending , depends on you. Mine is a happy ending with the Flame.

Cheers

YT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed with uncle mike give it some time. It will not do harm to your coral. After awhile will be ok. As long it never nips untill your coral lose tissue. Has my flame with me for almost 2 years.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Thks angmoh, Uncle mike and Bro Kakani for your advises, I would luv to keep the flame as it really enhance my tank. But the nipping kinda bad til there's a white patches on my gb digi & my superman monti not opening. So not sure it will recover? My trap is from Gemsurfs, reef tech so ya, front cover type. Some pics of its victims,

5y7ugydu.jpg

6age5e4e.jpg

And ya, backside itchy...ha ha

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

So is it confirm that after it get used to the tank surroundings, the nipping from the flame angel will reduced?? Anyone else can share their experiences?

Juz when I thot I never catch this fish, it went in on its own. Ha ha, now who wants a flame angel??

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...