Anyone Using Natural Seawater from our Shore?

Hi, like to check if anyone is using natural seawater from our shore for your aquarium for top-up and if so, which are the preferred locations?

Thanks.

1.5' Cube | Overflow Box | 1' Sump with filter sock and 3L bacteria king | Eheim 1000 return pump | BM 3.5 | Sunsun JVP-110 wavemaker | Full spectrum Par38

If I'm not wrong, I think if you intend to top up

water that is lost during evaporation it is recommended to use RO/DI water. Because only the water evaporates (and needs to be replaced), while the dissolved salts remain behind. If you top up with salt water it will increase the salinity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeeBee's Aquarium

Dimensions:

L 180cm x H 60cm x W 50cm (approx. 540L)

Other Specifications:

MAXSPECT Razor 300W 16K

EHEIM 1264 return pump

VERTEX Omega 150 skimmer

JEBAO WP40 wavemaker x2

HAILEA 1/4HP chiller

D-D H2Ocean FR (Rowaphos + Biopellets)

• SRC Member
If I'm not wrong, I think if you intend to top up water that is lost during evaporation it is recommended to use RO/DI water. Because only the water evaporates (and needs to be replaced), while the dissolved salts remain behind. If you top up with salt water it will increase the salinity. I agree..our sea water is filthy..even oil is mix with the sea...

I have used natural sea water from singapore shores previously for my small 2.5f tank .. Yes they are quite dirty but after running them thru the filter and skimmer the became crystal clear like all saltwater aquarium.

Best water to take from is from the south area sentosa to be exact and during high tide...

Changi beach not so bad ..

Worst is those from north side like woodlands, sembawang , punggol , kranji.

I have kept clowns, tangs and gobys with no problem. GSP , anemony , zoas grows bigger also.

If you have a small tank or for top up ... I guess its ok ..

But for top up we use fresh water ... Not sea water .. Water evaporates not the salt content... Right?

Stairway to Heaven

Salinity also differs from different area and during different tides .. best if you could get water from a deeper source..

Yes our shores are dirty i agree ... But we do still have corals triving and living on out shorelines meaning the water are still good to support life..

I have upgraded to a 3,2,2 tank and honestly .. If i could transport 300litres of natural seawater from sentosa .. I will ..!! Hahaha

• Like 1

Stairway to Heaven

• SRC Member

I have used natural sea water from singapore shores previously for my small 2.5f tank .. Yes they are quite dirty but after running them thru the filter and skimmer the became crystal clear like all saltwater aquarium.

Best water to take from is from the south area sentosa to be exact and during high tide...

Changi beach not so bad ..

Worst is those from north side like woodlands, sembawang , punggol , kranji.

I have kept clowns, tangs and gobys with no problem. GSP , anemony , zoas grows bigger also.

If you have a small tank or for top up ... I guess its ok ..

But for top up we use fresh water ... Not sea water .. Water evaporates not the salt content... Right?

I think its nt a gd idea to take the seawater frm the shore..u will nvr know wats the sea water contain..and our sea is nt that clean due to pollution unless u willing to take the risk..or u have the special filteration to gt rid all the chemical and dirty stuff frm the water u take...=)

• SRC Member

Salinity also differs from different area and during different tides .. best if you could get water from a deeper source..

Yes our shores are dirty i agree ... But we do still have corals triving and living on out shorelines meaning the water are still good to support life..

I have upgraded to a 3,2,2 tank and honestly .. If i could transport 300litres of natural seawater from sentosa .. I will ..!! Hahaha

Pulau Hantu is the only dive area in SG I think..sad to say that the corals there are surviving but not thriving..NSW ard SG shore I think lagi worse..if really die die want to use, maybe use a pump to draw water from a deeper area..then filter the water then use..I dunnoe where NSW from LFS come from but I think they pump from the sea n then process it..this shd explain the different sg for different batches of NSW..I m not a happy NSW user, but note that all tank r different so to use or dun use it's up to u.. Happy reefing

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

Pulau Hantu is the only dive area in SG I think..sad to say that the corals there are surviving but not thriving..NSW ard SG shore I think lagi worse..if really die die want to use, maybe use a pump to draw water from a deeper area..then filter the water then use..I dunnoe where NSW from LFS come from but I think they pump from the sea n then process it..this shd explain the different sg for different batches of NSW..I m not a happy NSW user, but note that all tank r different so to use or dun use it's up to u.. Happy reefing
If take NSW near the shore it may contain other types of wastes like urine and stuff... Yuks... Lol...

• SRC Member

Please don't use NSW from our shores. It is said that marine aquariums are like hotel california compared to even the cleanest reef on earth. So singapore shores with thousands of visiting ships from all over the world? definite no.

• SRC Member

Please don't use NSW from our shores. It is said that marine aquariums are like hotel california compared to even the cleanest reef on earth. So singapore shores with thousands of visiting ships from all over the world? definite no.

:thumbsup::agreed: