Anyone Using Natural Seawater from our Shore?

Thanks for all the advices and comments. In general, most are not supportive of introducing sea water to home aquarium for the various reasons cited. I am new to saltwater but do have a fair bit of experience in freshwater for quite a while. I have also read up on the use of natural sea water from other non local forums. I have just harvested some natural seawater from our shore and done some filtering and treatment of the sea water. Will run the treated water, with no livestock, for a period of time with filter and skimmer before doing a test to determine if the saltwater can support livestock with no detrimental effect.

1.5' Cube | Overflow Box | 1' Sump with filter sock and 3L bacteria king | Eheim 1000 return pump | BM 3.5 | Sunsun JVP-110 wavemaker | Full spectrum Par38

Thanks. The test will be done on a small scale 1.5' cube tank. Probably house a locally caught livestock as discussed with another hobbyist offline.

1.5' Cube | Overflow Box | 1' Sump with filter sock and 3L bacteria king | Eheim 1000 return pump | BM 3.5 | Sunsun JVP-110 wavemaker | Full spectrum Par38

Would be interesting to see how the skimmer reacts to unfiltered natural seawater. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for your comments. Would you elaborate on this cause I don't really get it. It's still saltwater, the skimmer is operating as normal.

End of the day, locally caught fish with locally taken seawater with normal filtration system. Dont see anything wrong. If u talking about corals and imported fish, than yes, it may be a problem.

I Love Stagsss

End of the day, locally caught fish with locally taken seawater with normal filtration system. Dont see anything wrong. If u talking about corals and imported fish, than yes, it may be a problem.
Yes. That will be for the initial part of it. When the local species proof to be successful, will then proceed with more hardy imported species.

• 3 weeks later...

The harvested seawater is all clear after running with a prizm skimmer and wavemaker for 2 weeks. Now looking for live/dead sand and rocks to complete the tank cycling. Anyone has any to let go or sale please let me know. Thanks.

• 3 months later...

I understand the risks involved. Thanks for your concern. The tank has been doing fine for the past 3 months with both fish and subsequently corals.

Just to highlight that top up for evaporation is using tap water kept overnight. Tds at punggol is about 70ppm.

• 2 weeks later...

U may filter out chemicals and particles out of the nsw in sg waters but wat abt bacteria?? Eg. Ich. Bro xiggie care to share how is ur filteration done? Quite interested to know. Im not siding anyone here. Im just curious to know thats all... Hope im not stepping on anyones toes. :peace:

No pre filtering used, just check salinity and dump into the tank. But taken from a good source eg sentosa or east coast during up going tide. But that was when I had 2feet tank, now I buy nsw from LFS for wC.

Stairway to Heaven

U may filter out chemicals and particles out of the nsw in sg waters but wat abt bacteria?? Eg. Ich. Bro xiggie care to share how is ur filteration done? Quite interested to know. Im not siding anyone here. Im just curious to know thats all... Hope im not stepping on anyones toes. :peace:

That's very interesting question on bacteria. I believe the testing for bacteria can only be done using equipment and/or lab equip which are not readily available or affordable to most people. Having said that, Does anyone using NSW from LFS/ farms test for bacteria?