Newbie here with my cute iQ5 tank

charlene

Hey, a newbie here who bought herself a new little tank, Dymax iQ5.

I got a pair of true percula clown fish and two anemone from Pasir Ris Farm during last weekend. I love clown fish so much. Gonna learn more and more from everyone here in this forum ..

Feel happy to share here. ^^

post-23422-0-05151600-1394637643_thumb.j

post-23422-0-66054000-1394637646_thumb.j

post-23422-0-16057700-1394637651_thumb.j

• SRC Member

The tank doesn't look like it's been cycled. Read up on tank cycling.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

Nice clowns and anemone! But you should have done your research first :/ your cycle may not be over yet so you have the risk of your anemone dying. Anyways best of luck and welcome to reefing :D

(Edit: sorry I missread your post as new tank bought on the weekend!)

I think I really missed out tank

Cycling and Quas111, do not worries, I didn't mentioned in details that's why my sentences misleading ~^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Charlene, welcome to the forum. We all make mistakes so just learn from everyone in this forum. My opinion now is to make sure u are changing out the water everyday! Thats the only chance you got to keeping it alive in that small tank. You have to change it everyday to reduce the ammonia eventually the nitrite once the cycle begins, followed by nitrates. Once everything is settled, which will take a while, u can do water change weekly or every 3-5 days for a small tank

• Like 1

I Love Stagsss

U also need to add in bacteria, those liquid in bottle types. Cheers & happy reefing.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Welcome to the forum. Same here, I just started on a 8L tank (smaller than IQ5) with a pair of Perculas and a anemone. See pictures. Not sure, but I think your anemone is ABS (a bit small) for the clowns. :) I didn't cycle the tank because I used water and media from my DT. Thanks for sharing.

post-22849-0-09655200-1394684867.jpg

post-22849-0-99509500-1394684873.jpg

• SRC Member

certainly looks like.. do note they are poisonous and not easy to keep and can grow rather large. an IQ5 is definitely not suitable to keep one, not even a baby box fish.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

Cute but poisonous box fish. If death occurs it might release poison and wipe out the tank. Especially for a small tank with a pair of notorious territorial clown fish. My atipsia shrimp got terrorized by the pair and then hallelujah.

Welcome to the forum. Same here, I just started on a 8L tank (smaller than IQ5) with a pair of Perculas and a anemone. See pictures. Not sure, but I think your anemone is ABS (a bit small) for the clowns. :) I didn't cycle the tank because I used water and media from my DT. Thanks for sharing.

attachicon.gifIMG_0795-Edit.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0799-Edit.jpg

oh! yours is so cute!!!

oh! yours is so cute!!!

Thanks. All clown fish super cute.

Your black sand bed looks nice. I should have done something like that. Mine is bare bottom, sometimes not careful cleaning the tank the rock will come crushing on to the anemone. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk