How to get coraline algae to grow?

Martian

I have a 3x1.5x2 FOWLR tank maintained at 26.5 to 27 DegC for about a year now but I still cannot see any coraline algae from growing. I did I not any additives to promote their growth but I actually have a LR with coraline and I tried to scrap off some of it to promote seeding...

Any bros can advice...?

• SRC Member

What's your water parameters?

You mentioned its a FOWLR

Things that promote coralline algae growth:

-good water flow
-proper alkalinity
-intense, indirect lighting

Do you dose copper? if yes, copper does prohibit CA to grow ( if i'm not wrong).

What's your water parameters? You mentioned its a FOWLR Things that promote coralline algae growth: -good water flow -proper alkalinity -intense, indirect lighting Do you dose copper? if yes, copper does prohibit CA to grow ( if i'm not wrong).
My PH is 8.2. I'm using a 17w and 2.5w wave maker so the flow is better than decent. I just changed to a LED lighting and my Zoas seem to like it... Unlike previously they seldom open up. No copper dosing before.. I guess maybe it's the lighting? I read that dosing some nutrients is required to promote CA growth...

My PH is 8.2. I'm using a 17w and 2.5w wave maker so the flow is better than decent. I just changed to a LED lighting and my Zoas seem to like it... Unlike previously they seldom open up. No copper dosing before.. I guess maybe it's the lighting? I read that dosing some nutrients is required to promote CA growth...
Bro Clowny_lover... How long do I have to wait for CA to start growing if it's really b'coz of the lighting...

• SRC Member

If your tank has a lot of nuisance algae it will inhibit coralline growth. You also need to have low phosphates. And the coralline algae has to be present in the tank in order for it to grow. That's why some people buy live rock solely for the coralline algae. Other than that you just need stable perimeters. Hope this helps :)

If your tank has a lot of nuisance algae it will inhibit coralline growth. You also need to have low phosphates. And the coralline algae has to be present in the tank in order for it to grow. That's why some people buy live rock solely for the coralline algae. Other than that you just need stable perimeters. Hope this helps :)
Bro Quas111... Yes, come to think of it I do some nuisance algae... I've been trying to get rid of them for a long time but no success... Thanks for the advice...

• SRC Member

Hi bro, I'm no expert in marine tanks but I have a nano reef and I dose Brightwell's liquid reef and sea balance's part A and part B and recently have seen some coraline growth on my liverocks. My lighting only normal LED and T5. Not saying that dosing those will help but I'm sure some components help in their growth. My tank's only one month plus old :)

• SRC Member

Hi Bro Martian..coraline algae loves MG+CAL In proper levels..Keep your cal at 400+ And Mg At 1470+..I Personaly feel mg at 1500 and ca at 450 gives me super growth of coraline until im scared haha..Best to maintain this two and it will florish!

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

Hi bro, I'm no expert in marine tanks but I have a nano reef and I dose Brightwell's liquid reef and sea balance's part A and part B and recently have seen some coraline growth on my liverocks. My lighting only normal LED and T5. Not saying that dosing those will help but I'm sure some components help in their growth. My tank's only one month plus old :)

Very well said! :)..Your Part A.. And B Has cal And mG..that contributing to the algae bro..Hehe..hows your clam btw?

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

Bro Coraline can grow in the dimmest of lighting..im running a 22Watt spiral daylight bulb in my fuge and have some crazy reasonable growth of coraline

Bro Coraline can grow in the dimmest of lighting..im running a 22Watt spiral daylight bulb in my fuge and have some crazy reasonable growth of coraline
All Bros... Thanks for the advice So I guess lighting is not the issue and I need to dose Cal and Mg...

• SRC Member
Hi Bro Martian..coraline algae loves MG+CAL In proper levels..Keep your cal at 400+ And Mg At 1470+..I Personaly feel mg at 1500 and ca at 450 gives me super growth of coraline until im scared haha..Best to maintain this two and it will florish!
I second this. Cal and Mg contributes to coraline algae growth. Get a test kit and test your levels.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter