Me vs diatoms! Diatoms winning...

Hi guys, need help on tackling my war on diatoms.

Added seachem seagel two weeks back to remove silicates and phosphates, added nitraguard original 1 week ago (not the titanium version), added a handful of caulerpa plus par 38 8w 4b at 3wts per LED running 12 hrs per day (reduced from 15 hrs) 3 weeks ago.

Currently using tap water for water changes once a week. I got no space for a ro/di unit and haven't really considered getting distilled water from the supermarket. Trying to keep the cost cheap and don't really want to be lugging water around. 12litres change for a 100litre tank. Done this water change every week for a few months.

Major water change about 2 months ago after tank crash.

Nitrate levels currently still more than 50ppm. Can't seem to reduce it even after the major tank crash water change.

The stuff I added and algae didn't even budge the nitrate reading.

Diatoms have been more or less manageable till about last week. And now the diatoms that used to be isolated in my display has spread to my refugium with a major vengeance! Water in the refugium smells abit foul. Display tank smells ok.

Only 1 snail died but promptly removed in the past 3 weeks. 2 snails added last week.

Other livestock:

2 clownfish

1 pink skunk clownfish

1 bicolor blenny

2 mandarin fish

1 red scooter dragonet

1 doctor shrimp

1 watchman goby

2 snails

2 small hermit crabs

1 sand sifting starfish

Feeding 1-2 times daily on frozen brine shrimp and prawns. Very little wastage.

I suspect it blooms in the tank because of the par38. But I have already done so much to reduce the nutrients it needs so I thought it would be ok! Anything else that I can add specifically to get rid of diatoms? I'm at a loss. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diatoms need silicates for growth. Silicates are found in tapwater. If you are feeding your diatoms weekly why should'nt they be growing? Ability of media claiming to remove silicates is never advertised to be 100% absorption. Stop using tapwater & you will solve your problem.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Tap water is the issue here bro.

For a start, you can try topping up with distilled water.

Otherwise, there is another method whereby you run your tap water with DI resins to remove silicates and reduce your TDS.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Supporter

IMO, the lighting is also another contributing factor. Is 12 hrs required? Are you having highly photosynthetic corals that require long lightings? If not, still can reduce. I am having an average of 8 hrs lighting per day, 4hrs in the morning and 4 hours in the evening (for my viewing pleasure after work) with soft corals/LPS.

To get rid of the diatoms, apart from the silicate, try to off the light for at least 3-5 days to starve out the light source.

If your hand cannot carry heavy load, spread out the purchase of the distill water from supermarket. I used to get like 4 bottles each visit (2 bottles per hand).

Cheers and dun give up. :)

• SRC Member

Ur LR could also be an issue here besides the tapwater problem that other bros has highlighted.

It could possibly be leeching many things now, having absorbed it from ur last tank crash. Its almost like a reverse osmosis problem. While ur water had high Po4 n No3, the LR didn't leech much; but when u start introducing things to reduce nutrient levels in the water, that higher potential of nutrients in the LR will be leeched to a lower potential in ur water. This is my alternative theory. But biggest cause will be silicates from the tapwater. HTH

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• SRC Member

Hi guys, need help on tackling my war on diatoms. Added seachem seagel two weeks back to remove silicates and phosphates, added nitraguard original 1 week ago (not the titanium version), added a handful of caulerpa plus par 38 8w 4b at 3wts per LED running 12 hrs per day (reduced from 15 hrs) 3 weeks ago.Currently using tap water for water changes once a week. I got no space for a ro/di unit and haven't really considered getting distilled water from the supermarket. Trying to keep the cost cheap and don't really want to be lugging water around. 12litres change for a 100litre tank. Done this water change every week for a few months.Major water change about 2 months ago after tank crash.Nitrate levels currently still more than 50ppm. Can't seem to reduce it even after the major tank crash water change. The stuff I added and algae didn't even budge the nitrate reading.Diatoms have been more or less manageable till about last week. And now the diatoms that used to be isolated in my display has spread to my refugium with a major vengeance! Water in the refugium smells abit foul. Display tank smells ok.Only 1 snail died but promptly removed in the past 3 weeks. 2 snails added last week. Other livestock:2 clownfish1 pink skunk clownfish1 bicolor blenny2 mandarin fish1 red scooter dragonet1 doctor shrimp1 watchman goby2 snails2 small hermit crabs1 sand sifting starfishFeeding 1-2 times daily on frozen brine shrimp and prawns. Very little wastage.I suspect it blooms in the tank because of the par38. But I have already done so much to reduce the nutrients it needs so I thought it would be ok! Anything else that I can add specifically to get rid of diatoms? I'm at a loss. Thanks guys.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

u not keeping corals? Then dun need so frequent water change le. If only fishes n invertebrates, can consult pple who are in fowlr.

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

Hi guys, need help on tackling my war on diatoms.

Added seachem seagel two weeks back to remove silicates and phosphates, added nitraguard original 1 week ago (not the titanium version), added a handful of caulerpa plus par 38 8w 4b at 3wts per LED running 12 hrs per day (reduced from 15 hrs) 3 weeks ago.

Currently using tap water for water changes once a week. I got no space for a ro/di unit and haven't really considered getting distilled water from the supermarket. Trying to keep the cost cheap and don't really want to be lugging water around. 12litres change for a 100litre tank. Done this water change every week for a few months.

Major water change about 2 months ago after tank crash.

Nitrate levels currently still more than 50ppm. Can't seem to reduce it even after the major tank crash water change.

The stuff I added and algae didn't even budge the nitrate reading.

Diatoms have been more or less manageable till about last week. And now the diatoms that used to be isolated in my display has spread to my refugium with a major vengeance! Water in the refugium smells abit foul. Display tank smells ok.

Only 1 snail died but promptly removed in the past 3 weeks. 2 snails added last week.

Other livestock:

2 clownfish

1 pink skunk clownfish

1 bicolor blenny

2 mandarin fish

1 red scooter dragonet

1 doctor shrimp

1 watchman goby

2 snails

2 small hermit crabs

1 sand sifting starfish

Feeding 1-2 times daily on frozen brine shrimp and prawns. Very little wastage.

I suspect it blooms in the tank because of the par38. But I have already done so much to reduce the nutrients it needs so I thought it would be ok! Anything else that I can add specifically to get rid of diatoms? I'm at a loss. Thanks guys.

Immerse the seagel in the tapwater for a period before using the water.

• SRC Member

I thot diatoms come out at the start of new tank cycle ? If old tank then should be algae... In any case, my diatoms disappeared about 6 months into tank cycling

Hi to reduce your diatom in your tank, you need to starve them.

• Employ phosphate and silicate remover such as Rowaphos will help you win 50% of the battle.
  • Next is to invest in a good and efficient skimmer to remove organic before it builds up to a level that can feed them, a good skimmer will also help in the reduction of nitrate level which in turn translate into a healthier tank
  • Using RO/DI water/distilled might be cheaper in the long run, a nano DI unit from madpetz does not require a lot of space and is capable of producing 0 TDS water which is gd enough for any reef tank anytime. Not to mention there is no need to lug water container everywhere anymore.
  • If you find that you have already done all the above, activated carbon such as ROWAcarbon may help you further by absorbing the rest of the organic.
  • Last but not least, ask yourself a few questions: What kinda of food you feed to your fishes (frozen mysis is known to contain high level of phoshate), did you used a reliable test kits? Do all your fishes finished up all the food you feed?

P/S Water change using tap water will fuel your problem to a bigger pproblem

just some sharing

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

Ok I'll try that with the soaking. Thanks.

Anyone have cheap places to get bottled distilled water? Realise if I use distilled water to do water top up it'll cost me $60 a month. Abit too ex

since you mentioned about lugging it around and you have no space for ro/di unit + you would want to get distilled water, try ntuc home delivery. they have their inhouse Life brand which is distilled water.

just a rough calculation for you :

you change 12liters a week. 48 liters a month. 48 liters = 32x 1.5L bottle.

1 carton(12 bottles) = $5.514 before GST

You need 3 cartons (36 bottles) for water change with excess 4 bottles for topup or even for your own drinking consumption which equates to $16.542 before GST.

Add $10 for delivery charges and 7% for GST ($1.8579), you get a grand total of $28.40.

That is just a little below of half of your current planned expenditure of $60 for distilled water. Plus they deliver straight to your doorstep, no need to lug around bottles of distilled water. You could even order more one shot and save a little bit on delivery. :thumbsup: Hope this is helpful for you.

Anyways just to clarify, DI in RO/DI is not distilled. Its deionisation. A different process altogether.

Lastly, here's a rather old thread on sgreef where bros here discuss about distilled water delivery.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• SRC Member

Apologies, double post.

Edited by bombom

How bout using the goodbye po4 on the salt mix with tap water? It removes phosphate too ... Just need to have a skimmer in the tub before water change ... Cheaper?? Need like 5 ml for 100ltrs of water?

Stairway to Heaven

How bout using the goodbye po4 on the salt mix with tap water? It removes phosphate too ... Just need to have a skimmer in the tub before water change ... Cheaper?? Need like 5 ml for 100ltrs of water?
Where can I find Goodbye PO4? How much is a bottle? I've been to C328 but they dun carry them...

When using goodbye po4 .. Or most likely lanthanum ... It's a must to have a very good skimmer .. Run it wet , and/or a 10micron filter sock ... Dose slowly and not dump the whole recommended amount into the tank ... Best dosed right at the skimmer intake or before the socks.. Water will turn cloudy ... Try at best to make sure the main tank doesn't cloud .. So confine the cloudiness In the sump ,

My yellow tang was affected when I dosed too fast , heavy breading and looks like it's gonna climb the ' stairway to heaven ' anytime .. But ... He survived !! Lol

Stairway to Heaven