newbie venturing into marine tank

Sarah

Hi all,

I've decided to keeping a marine fish tank. totally no experience in this because i only use to keep freshwater fish.

I've gotten quotes from various supplier, the estimated cost for a 3 X 2 X 2 full system tank with a full height cabinet ranges from 3-4k.

however, these packages does not comes with a chiller.

How are the prices? am i being carroted?

I want to keep corals so i guess chiller is essential?? but i dont plan on stocking too heavily on it as i'm still a newbie, so im looking at like just a few maybe 2-3 soft corals .

anyway, one of the supplier quoted me 3k with no chiller, but i noticed his tanks has those soft corals im planing to keep. he explained that those are anemone and i have to hand feed them.

actually what is the main difference between soft corals and anemone? i still have to feed the corals right?

and it's a bit difficult for me to understand why does soft corals need a chiller but a tank with anemone do not.

Hope somebody can enlighten me.

Hi,

I did an exact same dimension 3x2x2 with top hood and cabinet, front crystal glass, overflow box, sump tank for $600+++, have the receipt still! But i got it in 2007

Than again you mentioned its full system. Does this include lights, pumps, skimmer, wavemakers, liverock, sand etc etc??? If it does, 3k is a resonable price depending also on the brands being offered for the full system.

Anyway, i suggest in investing on a chiller. With our weather, the rate of evaporation is a killer. You will need to top up with RO/DI water daily. Also, the corals and fishes are more comfortable and this will decrease the risk of diseases and lost of corals etc. You can still get away with keeping soft corals and anemone without chiller in my opinion. As long as your water dont go pass 29 degrees. Keep it somewhere cool with good ventilation. My 2ft nano has no chiller, with an anemone in it, doing just fine. temp hovers ard 28 degrees. I try not to let it hit 29.

Techincally, with the correct lighting, you dont have to feed your corals. Or at the very most, some supplimented coral food, once or twice a week will suffice. I don't feed my soft corals, they get all the food by photosythesis and my fish poop. They are still doing just fine. As for anemones, its abit tricky, they tend to act more like a live animal than a coral. It requires supplemented feeding of brine shrimp once or twice a week, sometimes if i forget, i dont even feed my anemone. But when lights come on, its opens nice and big.

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

Welcome To The Salthy world!.. :yahoo: Firstly corals need cool water anemone or not..is best to have as our tropical weather is warm and humid..yes corals do well with feedings..anemones are carnivorous "some" tho..so its good to feed and Keep temp around 25-27 degress.max warmth around 29degress..ok difference between corals and anemone..hmm..anemones are cniderians like jellyfish. They are are all fleshy and can sting. Coral is a member of the poriforas and are single celled organisms living in colonies. They have hard calcium rich shells and they cant sting unlike anemones..Thats about it.. :) Hope It helped! :cheers:

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

Thank you all for your help,

Would be great if the tank requires minimum maintenance hahaha

Occasional feeding is fine, I do plan to keep some soft corals.

The package includes rocks and live sand as well.

So I gather it's a must to include a chiller for the tank?

It will just be a fish and minimum coral tank, with some shrimps

Actually considering a narrower width like 3X1x2 / 3x1x4 or 4x1x2 but was told that it would be too narrow to fit a chiller?

I've decided to go for a 4 ft tank. The quotes I've gotten so far hover around 4.5k, includes sump system, pump, lights(led/t5) rocks etc NO chiller, If I want to include a chiller that would be another $500. How does this sound? Frankly I would hope to keep it within 4-4.2k, is that possible?

I got my 6ft whole set (tank/sump/lights/skimmer/liverock/seawater etc without chiller/tank cabinet) for around 5k?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeeBee's Aquarium

Dimensions:

L 180cm x H 60cm x W 50cm (approx. 540L)

Other Specifications:

MAXSPECT Razor 300W 16K

EHEIM 1264 return pump

VERTEX Omega 150 skimmer

JEBAO WP40 wavemaker x2

HAILEA 1/4HP chiller

D-D H2Ocean FR (Rowaphos + Biopellets)

• SRC Member

what you could do is Setup The Tank ..For Time being run some fans to cool it..Later on Source a Chiler .... on SRC..Would be cheaper

Does your package come with a skimmer?..

Cheers!

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

I think for 4k should get a whole setup + a chiller.

yeah thats what i taught..4.5K abit steep without a chiller..have you ever wondered if buying the tank+sump..and buying your own equip..and setting up yourself?that would save you TONS as the LFS charges workmanship and all....As for Equip you can go with your budget..so you dont go of the limit..

:D

cheers

Morning/

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

There are quite a few good tank maker where you can start with your tank and cabinet.

During that period, you can source for your equipment ( chiller, skimmer, etc ).

For long run, you may opt for drop in coil for cost saving, but the trade off would be initial higher investment.

Tank : 3 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup end Feb 2014 ) --> 4 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup early Nov 2016 )
Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC6 --> Bubble Magus Curve 7
Return pump : Jebao 10000l/h ( down in 17th December 2014 ) --> Jebao DC-12000 ( 19th December 2014 )
Compressor drop-in coil
Wavemaker : Tunze 6105 x 1
Lights : Modular based DIY LED light x 4

Chaeto in the sump