Nualgi Aquarium Trial

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Day 1. 32 litre tank packed w LPS and a little SPS. Corals and fishes normal. No thin algae film on glass which I had and have to clean daily. Water clear. Interestingly those macro algae that have tu

As much as possible...agree 100% is not possible.

I am west too. PMed u.

Posted Images

• Sponsor
Just obtained Nualgi with their latest revised pricing and dosing instructions. Gracias Senor Philip ! P.S. will post my pics soon.
Thank you for your support, Jand118. Looking forward to your weekly progress pics. Cheers, Aquarium Iwarna

Do refer to our Facebook Page : Iwarna Aquafarm

Pictures are uploaded there for new shipments. Thank you.

Untitled-1copy.jpg

*We have strict reservation policies for livestock, please refer to our sponsor forum for more information.

• Sponsor

Ouch! Price dropped so much

Why 'Ouch'?

Finally,we are able to come to an agreement with Nualgi that benefits reefers in Singapore.

Cheers,

Aquarium Iwarna

Untitled-1copy.jpg

*We have strict reservation policies for livestock, please refer to our sponsor forum for more information.

• Sponsor

Dear All,

We are pleased to inform that Nualgi is now available in the west at Marine Life Aquarium.

Cheers,

Aquarium Iwarna

Untitled-1copy.jpg

• Sponsor
Because bought it earlier ..... But it's a good product.
Hi Patrick, Do you remember when you bought it?

Untitled-1copy.jpg

• Sponsor
3 weeks ago seeing result now :)
Patrick, No worries, do drop by Pasir Ris. We will think of something. Cheers, Aquarium Iwarna

Untitled-1copy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hi, i followed your suggestion and stayed patient. It was my 8th dose yesterday but the sand bed is still with algae. Can you please try to diagnose my problem and help me get rid of the ugly green algae on my substrate? I would try to post a photo of my substrate asap. thanks

Please stay patient.. we have results in one week and sometimes up to 8 weeks....a lot depends on the amount of nutrients deposited in the tank from the past..as long as things are improving, enjoy the journey...you will miss the GHA when its all gone! lol!!

hi, i followed your suggestion and stayed patient. It was my 8th dose yesterday but the sand bed is still with algae. Can you please try to diagnose my problem and help me get rid of the ugly green algae on my substrate? I would try to post a photo of my substrate asap. thanks

The answer may lie in husbandry issues. Algae is in business when nutrients and light is available to it and the water is warm. Can you provide us with details of equipment (skimmer, gfo, carbon, flow etc /husbandry(water change) practices to export nutrients. Your feeding routine, details of your lighting and how long it is on for and your current water temp. Once we hear back, we will provide further advise. Here is a recent feedback from another user that may be of relevance to your situation.

I had a very severe hair algae problem. Here's what I did:

1) Fixed problems with filtration (carbon and phosphate reactors had improper flow)

2) Began manually removing the hair algae

3) Stepped up water change frequency

4) Started with Nualgi

After 6 weeks I was seeing less new growth of hair algae, and it was getting easier to remove hair algae, but I was still behind the curve.

5) 3 days of darkness for the tank

6) More manual removal

7) Continue with Nualgi

I'm now close to declaring victory. There is still hair algae present, but is in very small amounts. There are small patches of cyano as well. Thus I'm not ready to declare victory just yet, but corals are growing again and the tank looks much, much better. I see light at the end of the tunnel.

Unquote

Nualgi was a part of the solution, and will continue to use it.

thanks for the quick reply.

here are my tank's details as you have requested:

tank net water volume - 100 US gal

skimmer - reef octopus wnb150

gfo - not using

carbon - BRS rox change monthly

biopellets - warner marine ecobak on reef octopus universal reactor fed by return pump

flow - jebao DC12000

wave maker - 3 x jebao wp25

water change - 10 gal weekly

salt mix - h2ocean pro formula

tank temp - 26.1C to 26.8C

lights - 3 x AI vega color from 12:00n00n to 10:00pm (gradual ramp up and down, all max except whites at 60% to 70%)

feeding (fish) - 1 x mysis cube and a few (3 pinches) TDO pellets daily for 12 fishes.

feeding (SPS/corals) - TLF amino acid and coral vitalizer (5 drops) after lights out (recommended daily dosage)

additives - fauna marine ultra color elements (under dosage)

others:

a few months ago and before using nualgi, i had a serious case of hair algae all over my rocks and sand which i suspect is due to a long power outage where the sump water was mistakenly recirculated back to the system. my corals browned out and GHA everywhere. I did several big water changes and my corals colored back but the GHA decided to stay. from that point i know that my biopellet has restarted and that it is not doing its job so i started to re-seed my tank with biodigest every 15 days then dose VSV to help the biopellets feed the bacteria and kick start the bacteria repolulation. it is after a few weeks at this point where i started dosing nualgi. currently, 98% of my rocks are algae free already except for one small spot which i think is starting getting less algae as i checked last night. so i could only think that so far what im doing is working. it is just the algae in the sand bed that i don't get why is not receding.

here are a couple of pictures i took last night and this morning:

20140721_202410.jpg

20140722_074823.jpg

The answer may lie in husbandry issues. Algae is in business when nutrients and light is available to it and the water is warm. Can you provide us with details of equipment (skimmer, gfo, carbon, flow etc /husbandry(water change) practices to export nutrients. Your feeding routine, details of your lighting and how long it is on for and your current water temp. Once we hear back, we will provide further advise. Here is a recent feedback from another user that may be of relevance to your situation.

I had a very severe hair algae problem. Here's what I did:

1) Fixed problems with filtration (carbon and phosphate reactors had improper flow)

2) Began manually removing the hair algae

3) Stepped up water change frequency

4) Started with Nualgi

After 6 weeks I was seeing less new growth of hair algae, and it was getting easier to remove hair algae, but I was still behind the curve.

5) 3 days of darkness for the tank

6) More manual removal

7) Continue with Nualgi

I'm now close to declaring victory. There is still hair algae present, but is in very small amounts. There are small patches of cyano as well. Thus I'm not ready to declare victory just yet, but corals are growing again and the tank looks much, much better. I see light at the end of the tunnel.

Unquote

Nualgi was a part of the solution, and will continue to use it.

i am guessing your photoperiod might be too long and intensity too much.

Cheers,

James

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• Sponsor

thanks for the quick reply.

here are my tank's details as you have requested:

tank net water volume - 100 US gal

skimmer - reef octopus wnb150

gfo - not using

carbon - BRS rox change monthly

biopellets - warner marine ecobak on reef octopus universal reactor fed by return pump

flow - jebao DC12000

wave maker - 3 x jebao wp25

water change - 10 gal weekly

salt mix - h2ocean pro formula

tank temp - 26.1C to 26.8C

lights - 3 x AI vega color from 12:00n00n to 10:00pm (gradual ramp up and down, all max except whites at 60% to 70%)

feeding (fish) - 1 x mysis cube and a few (3 pinches) TDO pellets daily for 12 fishes.

feeding (SPS/corals) - TLF amino acid and coral vitalizer (5 drops) after lights out (recommended daily dosage)

additives - fauna marine ultra color elements (under dosage)

others:

a few months ago and before using nualgi, i had a serious case of hair algae all over my rocks and sand which i suspect is due to a long power outage where the sump water was mistakenly recirculated back to the system. my corals browned out and GHA everywhere. I did several big water changes and my corals colored back but the GHA decided to stay. from that point i know that my biopellet has restarted and that it is not doing its job so i started to re-seed my tank with biodigest every 15 days then dose VSV to help the biopellets feed the bacteria and kick start the bacteria repolulation. it is after a few weeks at this point where i started dosing nualgi. currently, 98% of my rocks are algae free already except for one small spot which i think is starting getting less algae as i checked last night. so i could only think that so far what im doing is working. it is just the algae in the sand bed that i don't get why is not receding.

here are a couple of pictures i took last night and this morning:

20140721_202410.jpg

20140722_074823.jpg

"lights - 3 x AI vega color from 12:00n00n to 10:00pm (gradual ramp up and down, all max except whites at 60% to 70%)"

Hi,

I believe the AI Vega LED has both green and red LEDs, am I correct?

As the green is in the 500+ nm and red is in the 600+ nm, these two spectrums promote algae growth.

I would like to suggest that you reduce both to 30% intensity and for the red you can set it at 100% for 1 hour each during sunrise and sunset.

And as pointed out by James your photo period is a little too long, perhaps you can reduce it by an hour.

Cheers,

Aquarium Iwarna

Untitled-1copy.jpg

thanks for the replies.

my vegas have the upgraded pucks and do not have the red and green leds as i find them useless. i would like to think that its the photoperiod but i have had the same photoperiod for 2 years already but i only had the algae on the sand bed in about six months. besides, shouldn't the liverocks still be covered with algae like the sand if the photoperiod is the culprit? instead, the liverocks are almost algae free already. do you think the 10 hour photoperiod that slowly ramps up and down too long?

could it be that nutrients are still trapped in my sand bed and would need more time to eliminate? i used to have about 3cm of sand but in several ocassions i have removed the top layer covered with algae only to come back after two or three weeks, which left me now to about 1 cm of sand in my dt.

i would first like to hear nualgi's expert opinion regarding my case before i decide on my next course of action which could include reducing my photoperiod by an hour as suggested.

"lights - 3 x AI vega color from 12:00n00n to 10:00pm (gradual ramp up and down, all max except whites at 60% to 70%)"

Hi,

I believe the AI Vega LED has both green and red LEDs, am I correct?

As the green is in the 500+ nm and red is in the 600+ nm, these two spectrums promote algae growth.

I would like to suggest that you reduce both to 30% intensity and for the red you can set it at 100% for 1 hour each during sunrise and sunset.

And as pointed out by James your photo period is a little too long, perhaps you can reduce it by an hour.

Cheers,

Aquarium Iwarna

• Sponsor
thanks for the replies. my vegas have the upgraded pucks and do not have the red and green leds as i find them useless. i would like to think that its the photoperiod but i have had the same photoperiod for 2 years already but i only had the algae on the sand bed in about six months. besides, shouldn't the liverocks still be covered with algae like the sand if the photoperiod is the culprit? instead, the liverocks are almost algae free already. do you think the 10 hour photoperiod that slowly ramps up and down too long? could it be that nutrients are still trapped in my sand bed and would need more time to eliminate? i used to have about 3cm of sand but in several ocassions i have removed the top layer covered with algae only to come back after two or three weeks, which left me now to about 1 cm of sand in my dt. i would first like to hear nualgi's expert opinion regarding my case before i decide on my next course of action which could include reducing my photoperiod by an hour as suggested.
Hi, Without the green and red LEDs, lighting should not be a problem. From the pics posted, we didn't think that the sandbed is trapping any nutrients as it is not thick enough but if it was 3cm deep then there is a high possibilty of Po4 trapped in the sandbed. We do need the following information if possible: 1. When was the sandbed reduced from 3cm to 1cm or rather how many weeks you have the 1cm sandbed in place. 2. Is there some flow on the sandbed? Cheers, Aquarium Iwarna

Untitled-1copy.jpg

hi,

my answers:

1. about 8 to 10 weeks. but please take note that it took several top layer sand removal on different occasions before it reached 1cm.

2. yes, two of the wp25 are placed near to the bottom from opposite sides of the tank's length but not facing each other so as not to cancel out the wave. the last wp25 is placed near the water surface to create water agitation.

best regards,

weekdaywarrior

• Sponsor

Do you mean i should divide the weekly dose by 7 4ml/7 or do a 4ml dose everyday?

Yes, 4ml/7.

Cheers,

Aquarium Iwarna

Untitled-1copy.jpg