transfer of matured live rock to new tank

emanoids

• SRC Member

I have set up my second tank and want to ask you guys if it is ok to move the live rock to my new tank - my worries is in my almost two years nano tank has history of ich. You think its still safe to move my live rock to my new tank?

• SRC Member

You could buy new rocks and start the tank cycling. Meanwhile run ur existing LR in a small tub for 4 weeks to really make sure all ich cyst in the LR are gone. Either that, or u could kill the LR by sun drying it but I assume u want it to be live and retain the coralline/beneficial organisms in the LR.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

+1 to bro bombom. It depends if the liverock still has any ich cyst. You can transfer them to the new tank, while the new tank cycles, do not add any fishes for about a month. During this period, u can add clean up crews and corals. After a month or so, u can try adding a fish or two and observe for any ich outbreaks. If no problem, your live rocks should be free of ich.

Also depends when you mentioned history of ich on liverocks, how long ago was it, and has there been any outbreak since.

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

Thanks for the advises... My new tank already cycled and its been sitting for more than a month... Just that im dont want to waste my matured live rock.... History is like more than 6 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can safely use the matured rocks if the itch happened 6 months ago.

"Once the protomont attaches to a surface, it begins to encyst and is now called a tomont. Division inside the cyst into hundreds of daughter parasites, called tomites, begins shortly thereafter. This noninfectious stage can last anywhere from three to twenty-eight days. During this extended period, the parasite cyst is lying in wait for a host. After this period, the tomites hatch and begin swimming around, looking for a fish host. At this point, they are called theronts, and they must find a host within twenty-four hours or die."

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1985626

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

You can safely use the matured rocks if the itch happened 6 months ago.

"Once the protomont attaches to a surface, it begins to encyst and is now called a tomont. Division inside the cyst into hundreds of daughter parasites, called tomites, begins shortly thereafter. This noninfectious stage can last anywhere from three to twenty-eight days. During this extended period, the parasite cyst is lying in wait for a host. After this period, the tomites hatch and begin swimming around, looking for a fish host. At this point, they are called theronts, and they must find a host within twenty-four hours or die."

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1985626

thanks for the link bro - very helpful.