red or puple firegoby, which one do you prefer?

red or puple firegoby, which one do you prefer?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. red or puple firegoby, which one do you prefer?

• red fire goby
    • purple fire goby

• SRC Member
Just to add my 2 cents...However, if kept in small numbers like twos or threes as they often are...one individual will soon emerge as a dominant fish (explains the brighter colours)and possibly kill all the rest.I have also noticed purple fires to be more aggressive too.

How confident are you on the above comments?

• Sponsor

How confident are you on the above comments?

:( Witnessed this in my 6Ft display at the shop, those kept in large numbers like 10 or more in the retailing tanks are often ok, also fine are solos or seemingly mated pair in my coral retailing tanks.....well,it could be an isolated case, just unlucky for me :unsure: but perhaps this would be a good chance to find out from feedback of other members? :lol:

:( Witnessed this in my 6Ft display at the shop, those kept in large numbers like 10 or more in the retailing tanks are often ok, also fine are solos or seemingly mated pair in my coral retailing tanks.....well,it could be an isolated case, just unlucky for me :unsure: but perhaps this would be a good chance to find out from feedback of other members? :lol:

From my experience & IMO, firefishes should not be kept in a school in captive reefs with limited space, there will be always a dominant pecking order and it has always led to the 'bullying to death' effect down the line.

I have much better success with a pair, and even a trio has resulted in a pair again (one jumped out.. was it chased.. i dunno).

In my dives at Sipadan, the purple and red firefishes I spotted were singles or in a pair too. Perhaps we should take a cue from nature regarding this species? Again, it is my limited experience speaking. ;)

My mated pair sleeps in the same crevice every night with both their tails sticking out! :P They are so cute!

• SRC Member
My mated pair sleeps in the same crevice every night with both their tails sticking out! :P They are so cute!

my pair sleep in the cave side by side too each facing opp. direction... how to explain... :idea: 69 position :lol:

• SRC Member

From my experience & IMO, firefishes should not be kept in a school in captive reefs with limited space, there will be always a dominant pecking order and it has always led to the 'bullying to death' effect down the line.

I have much better success with a pair, and even a trio has resulted in a pair again (one jumped out.. was it chased.. i dunno).

In my dives at Sipadan, the purple and red firefishes I spotted were singles or in a pair too. Perhaps we should take a cue from nature regarding this species? Again, it is my limited experience speaking. ;)

in my tank, i used to have 11 of fire gobies and during my ICT last week, 5 of them disappeared without a trace... i managed to remove 3 1ft long bristleworms which i gather might be the culprit and found 3 bodies behind the tank.

Currently, my 6 gobies are fine, all sharing the same crevice at nite... think i stop at that number... tempted to get purple but a bit ex...

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Supporter

i got 6 purple goby weeks ago.. but they have died..and now left 1..

only reason i think of tis the high nitrate and ammonia level..

now i only have the biggest 1 left..

wonder if i can add in the orange 1s when my water condition is ok..

after reading the experinces from AT and other reefers..

should we only have 1 or 1 pair of firegoby in a reef tank?

btw purple goby have a unhappy face if u see it properly. :P

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

Purple firefish are much more aggressive compared to red firefish. Pls be careful when mixing 2 different species. My firefish is hiding most of the time due to my purple firegoby (very tempted to catch it out)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• 2 years later...
  • SRC Member

I agree that these gobies are only in singles or pairs .. here's the story of my gobies

bought 2red .. both died

bought 3 red and 2 purple .. left purple

bought 5 red .. left 1 red purple gone also

bought 3 red and 3 purple .. left 2 purple .. all red gone

bought 2 red .. left 1 red and 1 purple ..

been surviving like this until now .. sianz man ..

think I'll buy helfrichi next :yeah:

according to Irwana .. they also same experience .. always left 1 or 2 ..

aquatronica7na.gif

• 1 year later...
  • SRC Member

In my opinion, I will vote for the red as it is nice, cheaper, and one is ok enough for my nano tank (2ft). The purple is nice but very expensive and I have not tried it yet and don't intend to try unless the current livestock in my tank has problems.

• SRC Member

Started my saltwater tank because of the red firegoby. I have tried mixing both purple and red but it's always the same result, the stronger species will be left swimming. Now only have a pair of red but 1 is in the overflow compartment and the other is getting more and more healthy and aggressive, it can stare and even flare at my flameback without backing down. I had a dream of mixing all 3 species but that might just be an expensive lesson to go through.

• 5 months later...
  • SRC Member

Purple fire goby more unique mah I prefer purple to red fire goby...

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• 1 year later...