Sump and overflow design

• SRC Member

Hi all, I'm getting a new 4x2x2.5 tank to replace my current 4x2x2 freshwater tank (have to make a new tank as my 4x2x2 is using 10mm glass, and I was recommended to use 12mm glass for this size of tank for marine to be safe). As my tank maker is primarily a fresh water tank maker, I am designing my sump to be optimal for marine use. Tried using a freshwater style sump for my other marine tank before and ended up having to replace it - hence, I want to get it right the first time round for this tank.

This is the design and dimensions that I have come up with so far, based on a design I got from Melev's Reef webpage. It's also similar in concept to the sump that Iwarna did for me previously, except that this design is more "linear" while the Iwarna one divided the sump into back and front instead of side to side. What do you think of the dimensions I chose for each compartment? Should I make any of the compartments bigger or smaller? I decided on 3ft as the length of the sump to leave space within the cabinet for jerry cans for ATO and dosing liquids (Ca and Mg). Equipment that I expect to use are:

1. Left compartment - Skimmer (Bubble Magus Curve 7/9), 7" filter sock + holder

2. Middle compartment - Return pump, chiller pump, biopellet reactor (JNS Alpha II) and optional 2nd reactor for Rowa or Carbon (JNS Alpha I)

3. Right compartment - Refugium light(s)

Sump_zps14746429.jpg

The other query I have relates to the overflow compartment within the tank. Typically for freshwater, the overflow compartment is triangular and takes up quite abit of space in the corner of the tank. Many people pour bioballs into the compartment to reduce the water splashing sound plus to act as a wet/dry filter compartment. Is this necessary for marine? I find that this takes up alot of tank real estate space, plus bioballs will be a nitrate factory due to dirt/mulm accumulation. What is the best placement for the overflow compartment (center or corner), and is it necessary for it to be a large compartment that takes up alot of tank real estate or would a small one do? What's the best way to reduce water splashing sounds?

Thanks for your advice!

• SRC Member

May I know how is your flow to your refugium like?

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• SRC Member

Ok that sounds good.

Cheers,

James

[url="

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

I would suggest you make the bean animal overflow, so that you have a quiet setup and no bubbles in the sump. Downside is that the over flow is big as it has 3 down pipes (2 if like to live on the edge). Or you can actually make the overflow external coast to coast on the tank. But it be more complex for the tank maker. Or you can refer here. I think this is a very neat setup and I hope to replicate this on my tank next time. http://www.glassreef.com/basics_overflow.php Plus you can consider having a trapezoid shape overflow in the middle in case you want to create standing wave in your tank. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Wish List

- Black Ocellaris

- Royal Grammar

- Orchid Dottyback

- Rose Anemone

- Zoos (all kinds!)

- Purple People Eater

- Floridae Rics

There are some considerations as well:

Surface skimming is not very efficient with tooth weirs. The author suggest toothless weirs but the fishes can easily get trap in the overflow.

And also, do take note that the author suggests using gate valve instead of ball valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Wish List

- Black Ocellaris

- Royal Grammar

- Orchid Dottyback

- Rose Anemone

- Zoos (all kinds!)

- Purple People Eater

- Floridae Rics

• SRC Member

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, I think my tank maker is more a bespoke maker than custom, so he may not know how to do the BeanAnimal drain system properly. Last time I got him to do a durso and it ended up not 100% accurate either. Full overflow from the back is not feasible as the tank will be braced, neither is going without a tooth weir as I am possibly keeping snowflake eels. A centre trapezoid overflow is possible, but what are the benefits? What's a standing wave and how does the overflow create it? Finally, is my sump design OK? Do you think I'll be able to fit all my listed gear in?

Standing wave is something like this,

It allows for good circulation with very little power.

My Wish List

- Black Ocellaris

- Royal Grammar

- Orchid Dottyback

- Rose Anemone

- Zoos (all kinds!)

- Purple People Eater

- Floridae Rics

Sump design is pretty much standard. You might want to take note of the height of the sump and consider if you want to remove any of the equipment for maintenance, you should have enough maneuver space. I am not familiar with the dimensions of the equipment you have listed but you should allow for 10%-20% buffer space just in case.

Another thing you might want to take note is the size of the return pump compartment. You won't want to make it too small as the water level will drop too fast due to evaporation. I see that you have catered for auto top up, but that is still some work if you need to refill the auto top up frequently.

Personally I would opt for a larger sump, as much space my cabinet can accommodate.

My Wish List

- Black Ocellaris

- Royal Grammar

- Orchid Dottyback

- Rose Anemone

- Zoos (all kinds!)

- Purple People Eater

- Floridae Rics

Yes. BC82 setup is very silent. Can hear a pin drop in his office.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Wish List

- Black Ocellaris

- Royal Grammar

- Orchid Dottyback

- Rose Anemone

- Zoos (all kinds!)

- Purple People Eater

- Floridae Rics

Standing wave is something like this, 

It allows for good circulation with very little power.

i correct myself. It allows for water movement with little power, the movement is oscillatory. You will still need some gear to circulate the water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Wish List

- Black Ocellaris

- Royal Grammar

- Orchid Dottyback

- Rose Anemone

- Zoos (all kinds!)

- Purple People Eater

- Floridae Rics