Tank cover for jumping fish

Clement Chen

• SRC Member

May be a bit late to suggest now but previously I was using wooden frame DIY from Daiso. I purchased those slim wooden frame from Daiso Sengkang Riverview Mall I think.

They comes in different length and the edge of those plastic mesh is secured using cable tie.

NIcely done. Im thinking about doing it the same way being that I have a rimless tank.

Bro, did you use acrylic for the frame? can you share how was it done? how did you fix the net to the frame? by the way, i also ordered from the same seller in the US.

My completed tank cover. Hope it works.

• SRC Member

NIcely done. Im thinking about doing it the same way being that I have a rimless tank.

Bro, did you use acrylic for the frame? can you share how was it done? how did you fix the net to the frame? by the way, i also ordered from the same seller in the US.

Thanks Warrior.

But I did not buy the pre-made net from the US seller. I used fishing lines (kiasu a bit, I used flourocarbon lines, haha) to make a net.

My steps quire simple, listed below.

- Bought Acrylic plate from Art-Friend. But the thickest they have is 3mm. If you can get 5mm or more, would be better, as it would be less flexible. Less flex will allow you to make the frame size bigger.

- Measured my tank top and then cut the acrylic into "strips" that is slightly longer than the tank measurement.

- Drilled small holes all along the frame strip, For me, the holes are drilled 1cm apart so the net is 1cmx1cm square.

- As I have a return pipe protruding from one corner of my IOS tank, I had to use a heat gun to bend the acrylic so that it bends around the pipe.

- Super glued the strips to make the frame.

- Using fishing lines, I thread them through the drilled holes, creating the net.

That's all.

The best part is, it costs me less than $20 in total.

Happy DIYing.

• SRC Supporter

Thanks Warrior.

But I did not buy the pre-made net from the US seller. I used fishing lines (kiasu a bit, I used flourocarbon lines, haha) to make a net.

My steps quire simple, listed below.

- Bought Acrylic plate from Art-Friend. But the thickest they have is 3mm. If you can get 5mm or more, would be better, as it would be less flexible. Less flex will allow you to make the frame size bigger.

- Measured my tank top and then cut the acrylic into "strips" that is slightly longer than the tank measurement.

- Drilled small holes all along the frame strip, For me, the holes are drilled 1cm apart so the net is 1cmx1cm square.

- As I have a return pipe protruding from one corner of my IOS tank, I had to use a heat gun to bend the acrylic so that it bends around the pipe.

- Super glued the strips to make the frame.

- Using fishing lines, I thread them through the drilled holes, creating the net.

That's all.

The best part is, it costs me less than $20 in total.

Happy DIYing.

Nicely done!!

I assume you used acrylic solvent (eg. Methylene Chroloride) instead of Superglue (cyanoacrylate) to glue the parts together? Acrylic solvent bonds 'clear' & is stronger than super glue.

The vendor Darma (@ Ubi) should be able to cut >5mm strips to size.

And to emphasize.... very nice DIY & money well spent :thumbsup:

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member

Nicely done!!

I assume you used acrylic solvent (eg. Methylene Chroloride) instead of Superglue (cyanoacrylate) to glue the parts together? Acrylic solvent bonds 'clear' & is stronger than super glue.

The vendor Darma (@ Ubi) should be able to cut >5mm strips to size.

And to emphasize.... very nice DIY & money well spent :thumbsup:

Thanks SubZero,

I used normal superglue and improvised to "re-enforced" the joint to make it stronger.

Totally agree, should have used acrylic solvent as it gives a stronger bond and nicer finishing. But was lazy to go back out to buy it, so I worked with what I had.

Did not know about Darma, wished I had. Would you know their cost for acrylic bars? Just in case I decide to re-do to make it one big single cover instead of having 2 small covers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...