Dinoflagellates

Dinoflagellates  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever encountered Dinoflagellates?

• Yes, and have successfully eradicated it.
    • Yes, and is keeping it under control
    • Yes, and is currently still struggling with it.
    • No, but have heard of it.
    • No, have never heard of it.

I noticed a lack of information on dinoflagellates on this forum, and the little bit of information says increased pH and phosphate reduction would help but there isn't much explanation. I'm just wondering if locals here just do not encounter dinos or everyone knows exactly how to get rid of them. I've tried almost everything from blackouts to increased pH to algae scrubbers and even hydrogen peroxide but the dinos just come right back.

I've currently battling dinos in my tank, if anyone had been successful in eradicating this pest, can you share your experiences here?

• SRC Member

You have to share your tank setup and live stocks first in order to determine the possible root cause. Pics will help. Both tank and sump Cheers, James http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/topic/105744-the-journey-to-the-valley-of-the-reef-by-james/'>

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• SRC Member

Different strains of dino have different ways of eradicating. The most common and easiest strain is the one that will be eradicated with raising pH level and magnesium.

I once had a dino attack that no matter what I did, it came twice as hard. I eventually found out that the more water changes I made the more it was feeding on the new nutrients from the wc and thus helped to fuel it.

So I stopped all wc and waited it out, and one day the dino went away as fast as it came.

Just to ask, do you notice and increase growth after doing wc?

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

You have to share your tank setup and live stocks first in order to determine the possible root cause.

Pics will help. Both tank and sump

Cheers,

James

Determining the root cause is one possible way to find a solution this issue, but here I'm asking if anyone has experience in dealing with dinos. Not specific to my case.

Different strains of dino have different ways of eradicating. The most common and easiest strain is the one that will be eradicated with raising pH level and magnesium.

I once had a dino attack that no matter what I did, it came twice as hard. I eventually found out that the more water changes I made the more it was feeding on the new nutrients from the wc and thus helped to fuel it.

So I stopped all wc and waited it out, and one day the dino went away as fast as it came.

Just to ask, do you notice and increase growth after doing wc?

Not really, I don't notice any bloom after doing my water changes. But I did read that trace nutrients in wc fueled dinos in other tanks. Mine took over the tank overnight when I forgot to turn off my lights. Could be due to excessive lighting

Very true what Firestarter said ... Water change only fuel them .. Just need to wait them out and they will go away ... But I dose nualgi during that period..

Hopefully they'll go away soon, I've stopped my water changes, just siphoning out whatever I can through a filter sock and pour the water back in. Did nualgi help?

Nualgi works .. I guess so , never used anything else.. It was really frustrating when you have a tank full of yellow/brown slimy rocks !! Take a look at my tank .. Couple of months ago and present.

post-1415-0-49797600-1401630756.jpg

post-1415-0-33486500-1401630768.jpg

post-1415-0-27593300-1401630778_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Stairway to Heaven

I have a new tank and is currently battling dino. I remembered seeing a thread by one of the mod on dino eradication.

I have little success after blackout of 1 week while weeding them out as much as possible and doing water changes thereafter. But eventually they came back again only to grow longer tails.

Thanks for information above. I guess i have more options to try now.

I have a new tank and is currently battling dino. I remembered seeing a thread by one of the mod on dino eradication. I have little success after blackout of 1 week while weeding them out as much as possible and doing water changes thereafter. But eventually they came back again only to grow longer tails. Thanks for information above. I guess i have more options to try now.
Me too, I've tried manual removals and blackouts but they seem to come right back.

Nualgi works .. I guess so , never used anything else.. It was really frustrating when you have a tank full of yellow/brown slimy rocks !! Take a look at my tank .. Couple of months ago and present.
nice tank xiggie, can you pm me the price for the nualgi treatment?