One very unique way of fighting algae, diatoms, invasive macro etc

Hi Sherman,

Actually I'd mentioned that if not 4 the lights n the fact that I'd cut off the sump n the main, I'd b in deep shit! My guess's the lights helped 2 break down the H2O2, lessening its bleaching power but enough 2 knock off most of the DHA n cyano.

NB. I've not done any water change n things r returning to normal.

Also want to remind again that our reference thread shows 3-5 ways to apply peroxide that don't involve adding it to the whole tank all at once

coral stress can be greatly reduced by simply scrolling through the thread and seeing discussion about underwater spot injections, tank drain treatments where you can simply refill with the same water removed to access the spots, underwater capture tricks using little medicine bottles or mini tarps that hold peroxide onto the target area, and more. I like to keep that in mind to prevent new dosers from just going to a whole tank dose first attempt, when in fact there are much better options to clear algae and preserve corals.

Nearly all coral stress can be stopped using the alternate techniques shown in the thread because it uses less overall peroxide in the system, and concentrates more on the target.

B

Also want to remind again that our reference thread shows 3-5 ways to apply peroxide that don't involve adding it to the whole tank all at once coral stress can be greatly reduced by simply scrolling through the thread and seeing discussion about underwater spot injections, tank drain treatments where you can simply refill with the same water removed to access the spots, underwater capture tricks using little medicine bottles or mini tarps that hold peroxide onto the target area, and more. I like to keep that in mind to prevent new dosers from just going to a whole tank dose first attempt, when in fact there are much better options to clear algae and preserve corals. Nearly all coral stress can be stopped using the alternate techniques shown in the thread because it uses less overall peroxide in the system, and concentrates more on the target. B
Hi Brandonm, thks for the great advise.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Thank you Admiral! I also wanted to drop this in, thought Id already put it up but I guess not.

This is the reefbowl where 100% of the peroxide technique I use started and continues, its 9 yrs old and immune to any invader no matter the nutrient levels. Sure the sps are mainly brown but its a gallon give a brother some slack it is hard enough just to get them to stick all over the glass, and, sps from 2006 wasnt all colorful and awesome like it is now for pico reefs lol

thanks for participating in our thread everyone, I hope for it to become another giant repository of pictures before, after and during of various peroxide work. it is the handiest tool Ive ever seen in 25 yrs of aquarium work.

I use the drain and treat method. drop the water line to zero, spot dose, refill change water again.

this is how nanos work best for our treatment, this concentrates the peroxide on the target and then briefly dissolves it in the whole water, only to be changed out again for clean water.

this is a tidal motion that cleans out my sandbed too, making it last indefinitely and not pollute the bed. It means the system doesnt have to take on the full capacity of peroxide and slowly expose all the animals to it...even my coral banded shrimp doesnt mind and this is

35%

its 6x stronger than whats being used here!

B

Hi Sherman, Did the peroxide kill the algae? If so, then my guess is that the die-off of the algae created a massive bio-waste that caused your skimmer to go crazy and took days to clear from your tank. The bio-waste would also upset your water parameters, thus your corals, especially sensitive SPS, reacted to it negatively. Do a few large water change and I believe your LPS will be back to normal soon. Can't comment on SPS as I dunno much about them. Just my 2cts worth.

Hi DottyClown,

70% of the algae with kill the next day. KH drop to very low of 5.6.

Most of the SPS not issue . Only all monti plate turn brown or gray.

In fact most of the other SPS color remain except all yellow and green

turn brown or pale.

Some of the softies is slowly going back. Hammer recover on 3rd day.

One of plate start to recover today morning.

This is my observation so far

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

Hi Sherman,

Actually I'd mentioned that if not 4 the lights n the fact that I'd cut off the sump n the main, I'd b in deep shit! My guess's the lights helped 2 break down the H2O2, lessening its bleaching power but enough 2 knock off most of the DHA n cyano.

NB. I've not done any water change n things r returning to normal.

Look like same problem. How long did it take for your livestock to recover?

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

Also want to remind again that our reference thread shows 3-5 ways to apply peroxide that don't involve adding it to the whole tank all at once

coral stress can be greatly reduced by simply scrolling through the thread and seeing discussion about underwater spot injections, tank drain treatments where you can simply refill with the same water removed to access the spots, underwater capture tricks using little medicine bottles or mini tarps that hold peroxide onto the target area, and more. I like to keep that in mind to prevent new dosers from just going to a whole tank dose first attempt, when in fact there are much better options to clear algae and preserve corals.

Nearly all coral stress can be stopped using the alternate techniques shown in the thread because it uses less overall peroxide in the system, and concentrates more on the target.

B

Hi Brandonm, thks for sharing. Good thread

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

Look like same problem. How long did it take for your livestock to recover?

Hi Sherman,

As a follow up, I took out some of the rock formation which I'd tied together and dabbed them with H2O2. After hosing with tapwater, I placed back in the tank. The rocks've been with me for more than 8 yrs n I repeat, never changed my water,just added phos- treated water to replace evaporation(credit to Nakazoru on how to remove PO4 ). Hence the aftermath was such a great amount of dead n dying organisms lumped together for the skimmer to clear up.

Currently the scenario's like I'd just run in a new set-up n everything inside is peaceful. The skimming's still running great.

Hi Sherman, As a follow up, I took out some of the rock formation which I'd tied together and dabbed them with H2O2. After hosing with tapwater, I placed back in the tank. The rocks've been with me for more than 8 yrs n I repeat, never changed my water,just added phos- treated water to replace evaporation(credit to Nakazoru on how to remove PO4 ). Hence the aftermath was such a great amount of dead n dying organisms lumped together for the skimmer to clear up. Currently the scenario's like I'd just run in a new set-up n everything inside is peaceful. The skimming's still running great. .
Can u show a pic of ur tank?

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

This is a powerful and cheap tool for use, its this type of approach we favor over adding mls of peroxide to the topwater:

with this simple meat injector, we can turn off pumps and still the tank. The we can inject any clump of algae, slowly, and make less peroxide more effective.

Super slow basting inject!

others have used diabetic syringes

Peroxide has a unique place in aquarium science because its a fairly tolerable oxidizer with known metabolic pathways in almost all respiring organisms from the reef to the lake to the desert, even humans produce it measurably at the cellular level and have enzymes to deal with it, as do many animals.

In our case, the list of tolerant organisms vastly outweighs the intolerant ones, so whether we use it in a broadcast manner in the water, or targeted in some of these creative ways its an amazing molecule that seems to target algae in interesting ways.

Ive found this to mean its stressing everything in the tank, but 99% have the cellular mechanisms to deal with it and plants do not. Thats how we discovered the amazing usefulness across reef tanks, each person giving feedback over thousands of posts of what succumbed and what thrived after use.

Discosoma mushrooms actually begin to reproduce after habituated treatmenst~my vase is now overrun with them but it sure is algae free heh

this thread here is another massive, massive peroxide thread with more examples you can see, almost all pertaining to nano reefs. the RC linked thread is mainly large reefs 20-300 gallons

i estimate through these threads, and through private PM tank fixes we have used peroxide to correct five thousand aquariums. a straight 5 yrs and more pms are in my inbox right now

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/268706-peroxide-saves-my-tank-with-pics-to-prove-it/page-49

post-17700-0-46671700-1414082541_thumb.j

in these cases above, we see that target kill was the right move

not a months long slow starvation process...thats using a preventer where a remover should be used. the pics above show the simplest way we've found to battle algae, cheat when you need to. we are already cheating keeping these animals from a large natural habitat in our little boxes.

when you see algae in your tank, your GFO, phosphate management, clean up crew is failing, they aren't able to keep up with eutrophication rates due to lighting and inevitable nutrients we will keep adding

so you go in, kill the mass, then stay the course with your secondary water treatments. Dont reactively alter whole tank water chemistry when you get an algae outbreak, natural reefs dont, just graze better, thats exactly what natural reefs do to withstand algae incursion.

I have found for sure that we stress corals less overall with a targeted kill w peroxide, vs heavier nutrient stripping which has bleached many a tank as reactive whole tank algae treatments were chosen first. we step in to correct that mode, in these big peroxide threads.

natural reefs that would test perfect on our test kits will simply be overrun with many species of algae if you remove the grazers, fact.

we are but mere chemical grazers in this thread

B

One of the meaty plate is recovering. Start to see 70% of tentacles waving this morning

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

Can u show a pic of ur tank?

Hi Admiraltian,

The sudden cleanliness may have caused white spots to resurface. It happened in the past when I siphoned my then gravel -lined tank bed. Since the removal and running an ATS, things were doing fine. Then the GHA appeared and despite hosing and brushing the rocks in the toilet, it won't go away. Now the H2O2 has done its job and I'm having a new headache.

Currently, dosing 70ml per 70 galls every night n keeping my fingers crossed. H2O2 kills shrimps so why not the white spots parasites?

Hi Brandonm,

Guess I goofed again. The white spots on my blue tang. This guy's a tough one. Only two months ago, it had a real bad gash on the left side of its body, which subsequently mended on its own. The healed mark's has a much lighter coloration but otherwise life goes on as usual. Lol!

Oh! On the fish.,,thought you meant on the walls of the tank I was trying to picture what that must look like lol

I thought by now, the term 'white spots' in marine tanks would refer to 'ich' parasites on fishes.

Anyway, after 3 straight days of dosing at 1ml per gallon on the display tank ,cut off from the sump during treatment throughout the night till 8am the next day, the blue tang is out again and behaving normal. No venture, no gain?