Save the live stocks.....

• SRC Member

Starting this thread for sharing of information from your personal bad experiences and how it kill your live stocks.

I will kick start one, hope more reefers can share....

1) Do not underestimate the strength(par) of your led light set, do not place led light set too low as it can burn your corals. Place high for spread and always go slow with the percentage.

Cheers,

James

• Like 1

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

Starting this thread for sharing of information from your personal bad experiences and how it kill your live stocks.

I will kick start one, hope more reefers can share....

1) Do not underestimate the strength(par) of your led light set, do not place led light set too low as it can burn your corals. Place high for spread and always go slow with the percentage.

Cheers,

James

Bro,

I strongly support your suggestion.

LED can kill

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

Most of us dont have a par meter to measure. But we do alot of read up on the corals or fishes we going to get before we go out there to buy them. With the right info, we know where to position our corals. Then next is through close observations. If the coral is not opening well within 1-2 days, you better start shifting it to another location or check your water parameters. I have personally recovered a few bleached lps, mostly its due to too strong lights. Keeping them undershade or lower lighting zone with good water parameters will get it colour up in 6 months time. Dont expect a miracle cure. Many a times I see impatience newbies started blasting lights or dosing chemicals they do not measure to try achieve the colours they desire. Time and diligence water change is the best medicine for this hobby. If you dont have it, whatever you try will deem to fail. Disclaimer: Above statement refers to newbies and not season reefers who know what they are doing to speed up the process with tight counter measures. Cheers, James http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/topic/105744-the-journey-to-the-valley-of-the-reef-by-james/'>

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

• SRC Supporter

2) do not add too many livestock at one go. Most of the time we human like to " play with fire" i add 2 fish today no problem, tomorrow add another 2 and so on for a week or 2. when the problem comes they all go at one go.

fishes dont die like instantly. Any disease or illness on them takes awhile to surface. Do not over estimate your system capability.

:)

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

Be very careful with led. It kill your livestock. Always start with lowest intensity level and increase slowly over time. Do not full blast immediately.

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

So we need to do proper research before buying LS bcos after a while one may get "sian" of the "easy" / "beginner" LS and decide on ways to let it go...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

4)In Balance In Parameters Is A Big No No..Flux In Kh,SG Will cause harm to SPS And Lps so keep these two stable and the others too :thumbsup:

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

6) cooking live rocks by putting them in the sun. This not only add extra nutrient to the rocks due to die offs inside the rock and also result in longer start up period. "Cooking" is not kill the rocks. Cooking is soaking rocks in hyper salinity or slightly higher than usual temperature to remove unwanted pests therefore keeping the entire integrity of the live rock intact. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

That is interesting bro marcovan... I noticed many reefer here soaked rocks in boiled distilled or ro/di water and sun-dried it... How to treat the rock with algae if one want to restart the tank?

You soak it in seawater inside a pail and leave it somewhere dark corner off light and preferably abit of sun on it for couple of hours just to raise the temp.

Meantime you dose good bacteria which upon heavy temp metabolizes faster to consume nutrients within the rock and those nutrient reside in water.

No light no nutrient algae dies. Which becomes new nutrient for bacteria to consume.

Process is abit long but definitely fruitful.

Do some planning in advance.

I do this while waiting for my tank to come.

Works on dead rocks too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Live rock should be cure first and sun dry before placing into tank, pest will big headache once your tank mature..

Coralline agale can be achieve once water parameters is good and the correct chemical dosing, so far I use Red Sea coral products and its does well and it's the most affordable..

Don't forget placement of wave is important for LR as brown sludge tend to stick on it. Correct targeting of water flow will help to keep it clear of it..

Cycling is important, correct bacteria dosing and introduce your fishes in a later stage, ideally smaller ones after placements of corals and refugium ( if space permits. ). I have experience in cycling my tank in a few days with careful planing so that it's doesn't build up debris in the tank..

Summary, Water is gold and so is your livestock.. :)

When you fish for love, bait with your heart, not your brain...

When you fish for love, bait with your heart, not your brain

2) do not add too many livestock at one go. Most of the time we human like to " play with fire" i add 2 fish today no problem, tomorrow add another 2 and so on for a week or 2. when the problem comes they all go at one go.

3) impatient in cycling process and introduce livestock too early in the process when water parameter is still unstable

4)In Balance In Parameters Is A Big No No..Flux In Kh,SG Will cause harm to SPS And Lps so keep these two stable and the others too :thumbsup:

5) adding new fish and corals without doing research of it's behaviour and requirements.

6) cooking live rocks by putting them in the sun. This not only add extra nutrient to the rocks due to die offs inside the rock and also result in longer start up period. "Cooking" is not kill the rocks. Cooking is soaking rocks in hyper salinity or slightly higher than usual temperature to remove unwanted pests therefore keeping the entire integrity of the live rock intact

7) Not using the correct TDS water and inappropriate salt mix for more sensitive livestocks

8) Not inspecting / quarantining livestock before adding to main tank, pest introduction is a disaster that will take over the tank.

I Love Stagsss

With regards to strong lights and it killing or bleaching corals, just like fish, corals also need to be acclimated ... specifically light acclimated. A method I am familiar with is the use of different layer of screening over newly arrived corals. And every week or so remove a layer so that it progressively becomes brighter until no more screening is left. This method is called photo acclimation. Dont know if anybody here follows it but this is the best method I ve seen for people who own powerful lighting.

• Like 1

Previous setup:

45gal, 150watt MH lighting 16k, DSB refugium/sump (15gal), canister filter for various media, assorted pumps etc

Livestock: 1 pair true percula clowns

1 bicolor blenny

4 blue green chromis

2 cleaner shrimp

1 blue zebra reef safe hermit crab

Innumerable sabelastarte tube worms

Assorted miscellaneous critters

Corals: 1 plate brown montipora

1 bushy blue acropora

1 brown millepora

1 closed brain coral

1 pink goniopora

Blue palethoas

Green zoanthids

• SRC Member

That's good sharing. ....blesson87 ;)

Cheers,

James

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Cheers ☺

Previous setup:

45gal, 150watt MH lighting 16k, DSB refugium/sump (15gal), canister filter for various media, assorted pumps etc

Livestock: 1 pair true percula clowns

1 bicolor blenny

4 blue green chromis

2 cleaner shrimp

1 blue zebra reef safe hermit crab

Innumerable sabelastarte tube worms

Assorted miscellaneous critters

Corals: 1 plate brown montipora

1 bushy blue acropora

1 brown millepora

1 closed brain coral

1 pink goniopora