Keeping the tank floor clean

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

I started a 2 feet cube reef few month ago.

Decided to go bare bottom cause of my previous tank experience where all the dirt gets deposited in the sand...& it become a ticking time bomb.

All things are merry except I see sand like deposit on the tank floor every week.

Since these particles are heavy they don't get blown into the filter.

I do syphon them on my weekly water change, but until that I don't like the look of it on my tank floor.

Has anyone else faced such issues? & how do you deal with it?

thanks again for reading & have a lovely weekend Posted Image

I used to have this problem but after few months of clearing, it's gone. My advise is don't always change rock scape or it will be never ending. Also make sure tank flow is good where all the shit will blow towards sump intake area

• SRC Member

BB are usually for systems with high flow. It works hand in hand with strong wavemakers pointed at dead spots or tank bottom to blow the dirt and detrius into the water column which will be sucked into the overflow.

Of course this does not work with setups with sand previously. The leftover sand grains and particles need to be siphoned out manually if the flow is not strong to blow it into the water column.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

I used to keep bb tank until i decided to put in very shallow sand (abt 1-2cm). my sand remain clean (visibly) and i suck partial sand to rinse it every 6mths. I have yet to change water for many months and tank seem to go on auto pilot now. Keeping marine tank is never easier ;)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Usually I used fine net or plantonk net and weekly scoopup the shit detritus. It reduce the water change load, For me water is money. Overflow must put filterwool and must change whenever dirty or hand wash for recycle.

• SRC Member

Usually I used fine net or plantonk net and weekly scoopup the shit detritus. It reduce the water change load, For me water is money. Overflow must put filterwool and must change whenever dirty or hand wash for recycle.

If you are running a sump you can siphon the water into your sump filter wool or sock. That way you can still save on water. :)

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member

Yes, At the moment half weekly, i would siphon the water into the sump with a fine net to collect all the sand like particles & on weekends just siphon the tank floor & change water...(too much work)

Just wonder where all these sand like things come from :mellow:

Maybe its just fragment of the live rock.

• SRC Member

Its not possible to blown all detritus out to overflow. You just need regular siphoning

Cheers,

James

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• SRC Member

i prefer to have sand cos of aesthetic purposes but yes, detritus can be irritating especially when they go underneath the rocks. even lifting the rocks gently will cause all the detritus to fly out.. no choice but to siphon them out during WC. but even up till now i have no idea where these detritus come from, i dont keep any fishes haha

• SRC Member

Hi Andrea ...are u using many wave makers? How big is ur tank? I have only 1 wp25 in my 2 ft cube...& its blowing upwards towards my corals...so there will always be detritus mostly collecting at one corner of the tank.

Thankfully I don't have sand...so its much easier to syphon it out..

• 1 month later...