Cuttlefish keeping

A. Quarium

• SRC Member

Any skimmer can be used. I used only live rock and aeration. Chiller is recommended as the cooler the temperature the cuttlefish live longer. I do not use chiller but constantly change water when vacuuming. Live rock and seaweed is the best as cuttlefish can hide and sleep. Yes after eating close eye and sleep. Happy cuttlefish.

Cuttlefish don't have eyelids, and cuttlefish must be kept with a skimmer for maximum survival rate and to cope with the high bio load. Probably going to get chiller or fan. Live rock definitely. Not sure about the seaweed though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It depends on the species. If you have just one Sepia Bandensis with no other fish, then a 30 gal would be fine, as taufiq85 has mentioned. Larger species require larger tanks and so on. The absolute minimum amount of water would be 25 gallons, but a 30-40 gal tank is recommended for just one. Two or more require 50 gallons and above. Remember to add a protein skimmer! If I'm rambling on with useless facts, then sorry. Cheers!

It requires alot more attention as it is very sensitive to water parameters fluctuations. It requires regular feeding of live crustaceans( crabs r their fav.) They hv a high bioload hence the minimum 30gal tank. Mainly due to the constant feedings that they require and the occasional squirting of black ink. Im not trying to discourage you from keepong it. Just want to let u know wat is expected so as to not dissappoint u if and when u keep one and it doenst survives. Just sharing ya hope it helps.

Thats y i recommend getting exposure with fishes and corals first...to get the hang of it.

Exactly, taufiq85! The water has to have zero copper and the original water used to make salt mix must be pure (RO/DI) water. Frozen food is accepted, but they must be trained to eat them first. Cuttlefish require the same water parameters as coral, but they must be kept alone and fed food everyday. Crustaceans only, fish are not recommended. They are perceived as harder to keep mainly because of their diet. If you have a constant source of food, a large tank with plenty of hiding spots, and a protein skimmer and filter to deal with bio loads three times the average fish, then by all means, go ahead! It will be interesting if you keep one, Marine Life Aquarium sells them, and if you do have one, remember to post pics! Cheers!

Hmm... dun really have a concrete planned setup yet. Still trying to learn more first. Cos i originally thought it is not possible to keep in home aquarium, so i never explore further. Until i chanced upon this thread. It rekindled my interest. :) Hopefully, I can start a cuttlefish tank soon.