Suggestion for a main fish in my tank

Hi all,

Need suggestions for my wife's dream fish. A interesting main fish that can be housed in my current 2ft tank, easy to care for, brightly coloured, pellet feeding, inexpensive and reef safe. If it can do housework would be a bonus. Just shoot some suggestions! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

How bout flame hawk bro provided u got no shrimp la... bright and got personality and cute.. only not super cheap la.. but not expensive also.. i really love to have this fish.. but got 4 shrimp .. heard mix reviews im worried for my shrimps..

I do bring my wife to lfs, but we always end up with the picky fish (eg mandarin, ruby dragonnets, longnose filefish). Still searching for the ideal fish.

Love the flame angel but I'm starting to keep zoas, mushrooms and currently have a hammerhead coral. Heard they aren't reef safe?

Got a cleaner shrimp. Flame hawk ok around him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flame angel is a good choice for its color. Of cos its always a hit and miss whether they will start nipping on your corals. I got one and dun really see it nipping at my zoas...

1.5' Cube | Overflow Box | 1' Sump with filter sock and 3L bacteria king | Eheim 1000 return pump | BM 3.5 | Sunsun JVP-110 wavemaker | Full spectrum Par38

• SRC Member

Flame hawkfish dont think will be good with shrimp.. some say they got success with them but since i got 2 fire shrimp and 2 skunk i dont want them to be eaten by flame hawk.. ever thought of trying my luck but dont want to be a murderer. If i dont have shrimp will DEFINITELY buy flame hawk. Maybe a pair.. sure swee but not sure csn keep pair or not.

If you are looking for a show fish for your 2ft tank,

1) AT is poor choice as your tank is too small.

2) Black Tang is too expensive and probably not within your budget. Furthermore it will outgrow your 2ft very fast.

3) Purple Tang will also outgrow your tank very fast.

4) Naoko fairy is not a good choice either as they tend to darken under strong lightings and lose the vibrant red and yellow. They also tend to become overly aggressive in a small setup.

5) Flame hawk is a good choice for a small tank but in my opinion not so worthy as a show fish because of its perching behaviour and reclusive nature. They tend to leave bigger shrimps alone if they are well fed, so i am nt too worried about shrimps issue unless u keeping tiny shrimps like sexy shrimps.

6) Flame angel is a good choice for small tank and it is 50% reef safe. If you love your corals too much and especially if your corals are expensive, then sorry flame angel is out too.

7) 4-line wrasse can be very aggressive. Furthermore it definitely does not qualify as a show fish. A filler fish more so.

So out of the 7 fishes mentioned, if i were you, i would go for flame angelfish. It is bright red and definitely attracts attention.

When it comes to show fish, angelfish definitely fits the bill! They are interactive and respond to the owner, almost dog-like.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is good to bring ur wife to marine fish shop to let her have a look at all marine fish. Maybe you can try to choose clownfish and damsel. This fishes r more easiler to take care. Marine fish is more to taking care of water. Water is good fish will be healthy

i vote for juv twinspot coris. small and adorable. and take very long very long to grow

The spirit of sharing...

always remember forum is like its name - forum

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.