Rem to wash your hand after handling your tank

jas_soh

• SRC Member

hi fellow reefers...

came across this page HERE and had a nasty shock regarding marine bacteria...

i need to owe up that sometimes i like the smell of the tank water so much that i don't really feel like washing my hands after putting them in for some re-scraping, etc. gotta change this bad habit from now onwards... :blink:

...what are u missing from your life?... dun wait till your last breathe before telling them that you care

cut hands? no worries, more anti-body

When body is exposed to antigens ( bacteria or something) the body produce anti bodies to resist these antigens and hopefully kill them. If it is the first time ur body is exposed to this antigens, ur body will have a reaction due to this 'invasion' ie u experience fever. Subsequently, ur body remembers the experience w dealing this antigen and will produce and store specific antibodies and kill these antigens the next time u are exposed to it.

Hope it helps

When body is exposed to antigens ( bacteria or something) the body produce anti bodies to resist these antigens and hopefully kill them. If it is the first time ur body is exposed to this antigens, ur body will have a reaction due to this 'invasion' ie u experience fever. Subsequently, ur body remembers the experience w dealing this antigen and will produce and store specific antibodies and kill these antigens the next time u are exposed to it.

Hope it helps

I'd rather my body not have the antigen for it. thats why repeat dengue fever cases can kill. because the body actually produces too much antibodies that may overpower the body's immune system.

or so I think. can't remember. damn my bio teacher would be disappointed.

• SRC Member
arh? fish tank got nice smell one meh? u put perfume inside? if bleed in sea den wait for sharks lor :(

the smell of the sea is nice....! that was wat attracted me to marine tanks initially.... :lol: you may differ.

dettol or not? eh.... i wouldn't resort to such extremes as yet..unless...unless there is a reported case in SRC, perhaps?? *touch wood touch wood touch wood*

...what are u missing from your life?... dun wait till your last breathe before telling them that you care

• Sponsor

I'd rather my body not have the antigen for it. thats why repeat dengue fever cases can kill. because the body actually produces too much antibodies that may overpower the body's immune system.

or so I think. can't remember. damn my bio teacher would be disappointed.

:lol: Well, at least you still remember some facts about immunology....heh heh...who's your Bio teacher? :ph34r: Hyperallergic reaction in cases of active natural immunity where memory cells develop to produce long lasting immunity but an over-production of antibodies on a second exposure. People have died from a second bee sting before too. :(

For all fish lovers, I think with care and precaution,the possibility of Mycobacterium infection is still rare but with cut skin or open wounds, things can get painful. This was discuseed in a recent issue of FAMA too.

For more info, see attached

http://www.medicinenet.com/mycobacterium_marinum/article.htm

• SRC Member
... but an over-production of antibodies on a second exposure. People have died from a second bee sting before too. :(

actually it really depends on individual .. I have a friend who have been stung by bees many (seperate) times. Still healthy and leaving. :P

we won't know unless we try.. :lol: (Disclaimer: I am in no way responsible for any mishap caused.. :P )

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

actually it really depends on individual .. I have a friend who have been stung by bees many (seperate) times. Still healthy and leaving. :P

we won't know unless we try.. :lol: (Disclaimer: I am in no way responsible for any mishap caused.. :P )

leaving?? .... eh, you meant LIVING? :P

• SRC Member

so is he still healthy or left liao..hehehhe? jk

i just rememberd i had cut on my tanks n i still dip my hand in my office n home tank... gulp... :(

• SRC Member

i just rememberd i had cut on my tanks n i still dip my hand in my office n home tank... gulp... :(

opps.. LIVING.. :lol:

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

EH... cuts on your tanks or cuts on your hands??? :blink: