Tofu's 4ft Reef tank

tofubox

Bro, I hope there will be an opportunity to view your tank personally in the upcoming months.

It is very well executed.

Yup, no problem, when the tanks all filled and ready, your welcome to drop by anytime to take a look :thumbsup: Thanks!

I Love Stagsss

Tested my parameters today:

CA:440

KH:6.8 (dose esv alkalinity to increase to 7.0, CR timing increased 1 hr)

MG: 1170 (need to increase!)

NO3: Undetectable on higher sensitivity

Po4: Undetectable on higher sensitivity

K: 410

Salinity: 1.0255

Test using salifert test kits and refractometer.

I believe salifert for po4 and no3 might be abit buay zhun. But no colour at all, test solution is clear from top and side vial.

Got no budget to get hanna meters. Are they necessary? Won't it be the same story end of the day, low po4 and no3 (safe for sps)?

Maybe those who have used both hanna and salifert can give your inputs? Possible for salifert to show undetectable, but hanna shows more than 0.1 for po4?

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Supporter

I believe salifert for po4 and no3 might be abit buay zhun. But no colour at all, test solution is clear from top and side vial.

Got no budget to get hanna meters. Are they necessary? Won't it be the same story end of the day, low po4 and no3 (safe for sps)?

Maybe those who have used both hanna and salifert can give your inputs? Possible for salifert to show undetectable, but hanna shows more than 0.1 for po4?

Try to invest in the hannan p04 digital test kit, that would be the only one I would get apart from the rest lol..

• SRC Member

I used salifert PO4 before, but not moved to Hanna checker

if you compare these 2 brands, totally agreed with Larry, you wont turn your head back if using Hanna.

But, your Zeovit wont give you chance to read anything from any PO4 test kit. :thumbsup:

see your digi paled color, i want to put blench in my tank already!

LOL

:superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman: :superman:

Thanks harlequin and kkk121 for your input. I understand that hanna is better by miles. And if given the choice between the two, hanna is definitely more accurate. But what i'm really wondering....will it even matter for me to get such an accurate reading if salifert is already giving me undetectable readings. Seems to me like its a luxury item, nice to have, but fine to do without.

If both readings are different by miles, than i probably consider getting a hanna checker instead. Anyone had such experience when using both sali and hanna?

I Love Stagsss

Update of the 14 day cycle!

Officially today is day 10 of the cycle. According to the guide, i can introduce cuc, easy sps corals and 1 fish per 200l. Also, it did mention that if i was starting off with dead rocks, it might take slightly longer. But honestly it didn't seem to be a problem at all!

Heres my review of the 14 day cycle. It works like a charm. There really isn't much for me to say. Its just basically following the dosing instructions. At first i was skeptical, how could a tank cycle in just 10 days, but I'm impressed with the results myself. Heres a couple of test i did on day 8 and day 10

Nitrite (No2) on day 8 (slightly pinkish)

attachicon.gif20140824_194226.jpg

Nitrite (No2) on day 10

attachicon.gif20140825_130928.jpg

Nitrates (No3) on day 8

attachicon.gif20140824_194312.jpg

Nitrates (No3) on day 10

attachicon.gif20140825_132335.jpg

Day 10: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate under 2ppm.

I have already placed in my cuc overnight, and they all are doing well.

Stombus hard at work cleaning the sand, these are the best sand cleaners I've come across

attachicon.gif20140825_004554.jpg

Single Turbo snail, just cleaned an area on the rock. Will only be using this guy for starting phase, than hes back to the smaller tank.

attachicon.gif20140825_010108.jpg

And lastly, added 3 abalones. Never tried these before, but heard very good reviews, and dame right they are good. This guy cleared this patch in just a minute

attachicon.gif20140825_010400.jpg

Lastly, added 2 frags of Birdnests, 2 encrusting monti, 1 true fiber optic, 1 true octo lps.

attachicon.gif20140825_142142.jpg

Will be adding fishes later this evening if everything goes well. The next part will be tuning the calcium reactor, boy...thats gonna be a pain.

Thanks for reading. If you guys ever consider starting a tank, do consider the zeovit 14 day cycle. It worked for me and I'm sure it should for you if you follow the dosing instructions well.

The scaping is gorgeous, especially the left hand side :thumbsup:

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

Thanks cedric for the kind words. Time to visit u soon! Got some stuff in mind in need to get!

Thanks to this, now i can get better shots for the tank thread. Dont own a dslr or any fancy cam, so my s3 is my only buddy for photos!

post-18626-0-00534500-1410514159_thumb.j

Recent acquisitions, see some potential in these 2!

post-18626-0-66753500-1410514193_thumb.ppost-18626-0-52727100-1410514198_thumb.p

Colour seems to be getting better by the day

post-18626-0-90775400-1410514211_thumb.ppost-18626-0-72453300-1410514218_thumb.p

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

Swee swee zeovit tank.....

Cheers,

James

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

Getting really stunning when it's almost fully stocked. Can't imagine when its 100% stocked!!

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

Drool! Bro care to share where you buy the Casing.. Tq :)

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

Drool! Bro care to share where you buy the Casing.. Tq :)

Hey bro ash, I got mine 2nd hand from hardware forum. But sold to me as brand new. I understand if u get direct from stores or online, can cost $120.

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member
Hey bro ash, I got mine 2nd hand from hardware forum. But sold to me as brand new. I understand if u get direct from stores or online, can cost $120.
swee wonder they got for iPhone 5s not haha

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

Any updates on the sps condition and colours ?

So now you are more T5 than leds?

Cheers,

James

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

Any updates on the sps condition and colours ?

So now you are more T5 than leds?

Cheers,

James

Yup, currently running 6 tube t5, 40 bulb diy led in middle.

Nothing much to update at the moment, colours still pretty much the same as last FTS. Haven't lost any corals so far since starting, hopefully it will remain that way.

I'll try to get some underwater shots over the weekend, my s3 sucks, can't capture colours at all from outside tank, everything turns out blue even with just coral plus on. Have to try using some app or program to adjust the white balance. Didn't have the same issue with my 2ft maxspect since i could adjust the colour intensity. Wished I owned one of those fanciful cameras.......

Anyone has a good app that can adjust the white balance to recommend? Cpu or phone, both is fine. Hopefully its free to use too. haha

Damn chio leh! Definitely potential TOTQ!

Thanks Evo! My tank still no where close to your coral colouration la. haha. still working on it.

I Love Stagsss

Was thinking those 16 mega pix digital camera <$100 will it be better than my samsung ace 2...

If u find a good cam under 100 bucks let me know bro! I'll buy with u! Or anyone can recommend a good affordable cam 100-200 range!

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

If u find a good cam under 100 bucks let me know bro! I'll buy with u! Or anyone can recommend a good affordable cam 100-200 range!

Haha, cos i am reluctant to fork out a decent $ for camera just for taking tank photos lah. Rather use the money go buy gem coral

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

Thanks harlequin and kkk121 for your input. I understand that hanna is better by miles. And if given the choice between the two, hanna is definitely more accurate. But what i'm really wondering....will it even matter for me to get such an accurate reading if salifert is already giving me undetectable readings. Seems to me like its a luxury item, nice to have, but fine to do without.

If both readings are different by miles, than i probably consider getting a hanna checker instead. Anyone had such experience when using both sali and hanna?

Most of us can do without a HANNA, a reasonable test kit would suffice. In fact, it's getting widely recognised in the reefing community that some NO3 and even PO4 is needed for both growth and coloration. Even the ocean contains some PO4, which is needed as part of hard coral calcification process :)

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

Most of us can do without a HANNA, a reasonable test kit would suffice. In fact, it's getting widely recognised in the reefing community that some NO3 and even PO4 is needed for both growth and coloration. Even the ocean contains some PO4, which is needed as part of hard coral calcification process :)

Thanks ced for your inputs. Have the same thinking as well, also means more money to spend on corals!

I Love Stagsss