Tofu's 4ft Reef tank

tofubox

Ur mr pacman r massive!!

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• 3 weeks later...

Was browsing through my old photos. And guess what I found.... :groupwavereversed:

Sharing with all my reef tanks from the day i started this hobby.

My very first 3ft tank (around end 2010??):

I started off with LPS, but since getting enlisted the following year, I went fowlr + artificial corals. System was simple back than, I remembered my first lights was an odyssea fixture before changing to 8 tube delightings. Used mainly mangrove system for filtration. These are the only 3 photos i have remaining of my first tank.

post-18626-0-11680000-1436121733_thumb.j

post-18626-0-87252500-1436121724_thumb.j

post-18626-0-96681000-1436121722_thumb.j

My 2nd tank, a 2ft Nano:

The evolution of led lights! First light was maxspect first gen, before switching to maxspect razors. Used mainly Polyplab Reefresh system + Rowaphos + ESV B-ionic dosing.

post-18626-0-07578400-1436121728_thumb.j

post-18626-0-31463600-1436121726_thumb.j

Did a rescape and started more on sps

post-18626-0-81164900-1436121729_thumb.j

post-18626-0-21776500-1436121731_thumb.j

post-18626-0-60387900-1436121735_thumb.j

post-18626-0-37485200-1436122086_thumb.j

And finally, decided to upgrade from my 2ft to the current 4ft. Used Zeovit System.

First scape:

post-18626-0-50671300-1436122234_thumb.j

Decided to pursue on my love for staghorn sps, and finally here's where i am today:

post-18626-0-41935900-1436122273_thumb.p

Thank you all for always being so supportive, motivating and encouraging throughout my reefing journey. The struggle is real.

For those just starting out, I hope you guys are more inspired to venture further and trying out harder corals as time pass.

Happy reefing!

I Love Stagsss

Was browsing through my old photos. And guess what I found.... :groupwavereversed:

I started off with LPS, but since getting enlisted the following year, I went fowlr + artificial corals. System was simple back than, I remembered my first lights was an odyssea fixture before changing to 8 tube delightings. Used mainly mangrove system for filtration. These are the only 3 photos i have remaining of my first tank.

attachicon.giffullview 2.jpg

attachicon.gif20140116_171856.jpg

attachicon.gif20131112_212426.jpg

My 2nd tank, a 2ft Nano:

The evolution of led lights! First light was maxspect first gen, before switching to maxspect razors. Used mainly Polyplab Reefresh system + Rowaphos + ESV B-ionic dosing.

attachicon.gif20140128_154853.jpg

attachicon.gif20140128_154821.jpg

attachicon.gif20140407_142310.jpg

attachicon.gif20140606_163407.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20140520_150420.jpg

attachicon.gif20140804_143841.jpg

And finally, decided to upgrade from my 2ft to the current 4ft. Used Zeovit System.

First scape:

attachicon.gifIMG_1728.JPG

Decided to pursue on my love for staghorn sps, and finally here's where i am today:

attachicon.gifwhite balance.png

Thank you all for always being so supportive, motivating and encouraging throughout my reefing journey. The struggle is real.

For those just starting out, I hope you guys are more inspired to venture further and trying out harder corals as time pass.

Happy reefing!

Nice update of ur reefing journey. Ur staghorn sps tank is inspiring.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

attachicon.giffullview 2.jpg

attachicon.gif20140116_171856.jpg

attachicon.gif20131112_212426.jpg

My 2nd tank, a 2ft Nano:

attachicon.gif20140128_154853.jpg

attachicon.gif20140128_154821.jpg

attachicon.gif20140407_142310.jpg

attachicon.gif20140606_163407.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20140520_150420.jpg

attachicon.gif20140804_143841.jpg

First scape:

attachicon.gifIMG_1728.JPG

attachicon.gifwhite balance.png

Happy reefing!

You need to throw in a bunch of anthias and chromis... Somehow those 2 groups of fishes make the stags more outstanding...

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

You need to throw in a bunch of anthias and chromis... Somehow those 2 groups of fishes make the stags more outstanding...

Haha already got 10 blue eye anthias in there. I used to keep chromis. They look nice when small until they grow huge and just chiong for food all the time. Would have considered if they always remained small and cute =D

I Love Stagsss

Haha already got 10 blue eye anthias in there. I used to keep chromis. They look nice when small until they grow huge and just chiong for food all the time. Would have considered if they always remained small and cute =D

Understand from some fish gurus that for chromis in order to keep the horde schooling, it is best to put a bossy or top surface swimming fish inside... an AT sounds like an idea... hahaha...

Anyway 10 where got enough... your tank you can put 20!

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Understand from some fish gurus that for chromis in order to keep the horde schooling, it is best to put a bossy or top surface swimming fish inside... an AT sounds like an idea... hahaha...

Anyway 10 where got enough... your tank you can put 20!

Haha yeah, heard about having a "boss fish" with keeping chromis. But really don't intend on having anymore larger fish in the tank besides the yellow tang.

10 Anthias not enough meh? hahahah, put 20, later tank crash. lol, u think too highly of zeovit already la.

I Love Stagsss

Haha yeah, heard about having a "boss fish" with keeping chromis. But really don't intend on having anymore larger fish in the tank besides the yellow tang.

10 Anthias not enough meh? hahahah, put 20, later tank crash. lol, u think too highly of zeovit already la.

Wrong, I think more highly of you, your tank size and your husbandry... hahaha

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

You really have a penchant for beautiful scaping, looking at your past tanks. And the colours of those staghorns in your current tank now is just....drool!!! thanks for the inspiration!

"Save a reef, grow your own"

You really have a penchant for beautiful scaping, looking at your past tanks. And the colours of those staghorns in your current tank now is just....drool!!! thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks alot bro Mellow. U probably wont believe this, but i got my inspiration from you when i last saw ur tank! That was around last yr i suppose?

I Love Stagsss

• 3 weeks later...

post-18626-0-58444700-1437908129_thumb.j

Some recent updates!

Haven't had much time to take care of the tank as I'm doing two jobs at the moment. Thankfully, the tank is stable and there isn't much needed to be done. Also added a new stag which i got completely browned out and stn at the base from iwarna. Just thought i give it a shot....I hope it thrives in my tank.

You guys might also notice a more cleaner look on the front....I removed the elegance and birdnest and shifted some corals around to give a more simple and clean appearance.

Recent disasters:

1. Came home and realise my recirculating pump for cr had stopped. Impeller issue...somehow this affected the feeder pump, and my kh plumet to 3.6.....spent 3 hrs getting the impeller to work again. Slowly brought kh back to 7.3.....no lost of casualties. Phew.

2. Algae outbreak. Had some cyano, red turf and dino....every reefers nightmare. But due to my schedule, I couldnt do much about it. Did not dose anything......Recently, i noticed the algae started disappearing, and things getting back to normal. I'm just going to leave it as it is.

Looking forward, I plan to change to 4 white bulbs to spam growth and care less about colouration for now.

I Love Stagsss

I had a similar situation as well that the solenoid from my c02 suddenly stop supplying c02 to the CR and cause my kh to drop.

Loss some of my frags and luckily corals in the main tank still doing OK. Lesson learnt to check the CR weekly as part of maintainance schedule as well.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

time to invest in an Apex or get your ph monitor going.

Trigger point will be any ph spike or ph dip means something is working or not working.

Very convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

I had a similar situation as well that the solenoid from my c02 suddenly stop supplying c02 to the CR and cause my kh to drop.

Loss some of my frags and luckily corals in the main tank still doing OK. Lesson learnt to check the CR weekly as part of maintainance schedule as well.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yeah, due to the technicality of CRs, guess is best to check it often. I tend to check my cr as one of my daily routine when I get home from work. Just ensuring the effluent is still flowing, and the recirculating pump is working. If stop for a day, already drastic enough changes on the kh due to the high consumption! But I still prefer cr over other methods as its really does the job perfectly without requiring constant monitoring all the time on the KH and CA.

time to invest in an Apex or get your ph monitor going.

Trigger point will be any ph spike or ph dip means something is working or not working.

Very convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a ph monitor, but dont really use it anymore. No money for apex! Budget reefing. hahahaha.

Usually I can see when something is not right in the tank....than i start measuring and getting the ohhhhh fff*****k look on my face.

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

Yeah, due to the technicality of CRs, guess is best to check it often. I tend to check my cr as one of my daily routine when I get home from work. Just ensuring the effluent is still flowing, and the recirculating pump is working. If stop for a day, already drastic enough changes on the kh due to the high consumption! But I still prefer cr over other methods as its really does the job perfectly without requiring constant monitoring all the time on the KH and CA.

I have a ph monitor, but dont really use it anymore. No money for apex! Budget reefing. hahahaha.

Usually I can see when something is not right in the tank....than i start measuring and getting the ohhhhh fff*****k look on my face.

Bro it's cr easy to mantain the kh ?? I'm been thinking to install 1 too .

Bro it's cr easy to mantain the kh ?? I'm been thinking to install 1 too .

Hi bro, once your CR is tuned, its pretty much stable. Haven't had much problem maintaining KH n CA, besides the technicality aspects. Failures on marine equipment probably the major pitfall for many tank crash.

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

Hi bro, once your CR is tuned, its pretty much stable. Haven't had much problem maintaining KH n CA, besides the technicality aspects. Failures on marine equipment probably the major pitfall for many tank crash.

Oh . Any model to intro me ? My it's a 2 feet cube .