Sigh... what to buy in HongKong fish street (通菜街)

asg

• SRC Member

Any bro/ sis been to/ know what are the good buys in HongKong fish street (通菜街)? I have heard about the the vast variety of LS available there but in term of accessories or equipment what are those good buys i.e. 30% or more cheaper than SG...

based on my personal research, I am expecting to get hanna checkers, its reagents, PH pen, refractometer and those Chinese brands 红海星 feeder/ ATS at maybe 30% cheaper than in SG.

and Maspect Razor r420r is relatively cheap here in china... about SGD400 for the 120W model with free 120 degree lens some more... make me feel like buying all my future china made reef thingy in china... :poster_oops:

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

I would buy Salifert test kits, They are cheaper than in Singapore for sure. I looked for equipment on my last trip in May but found them not much cheaper and since without warranty did not buy any. One more thing, the reagent for calibrating the checker were cheap too. Happy shopping :)

• SRC Member

I was disappointed bro with that goldfish market.

Was there last Monday. Not so interesting. Only 1 marine LFS that is with SPS.

Forgot the shop name.

Salifert test kits are cheaper than SG.

Visited pro-coral store too.

Wanted to buy AI Hydra 52 but price is same as SG but no ready stock (got to order from agent).

GHL Mitras is cheaper, around S$1.7k+

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

I was disappointed bro with that goldfish market.

Was there last Monday. Not so interesting. Only 1 marine LFS that is with SPS.

Forgot the shop name.

Salifert test kits are cheaper than SG.

Visited pro-coral store too.

Wanted to buy AI Hydra 52 but price is same as SG but no ready stock (got to order from agent).

GHL Mitras is cheaper, around S$1.7k+

Bro, just for your reference. below are the list of some fish shop in the fish street. I hope fish street can at least keep me occupy for 3 hours... else i would be bored to death liao.

• 店名: Perfect Aqua水族工程

旺角通菜街165號閣樓

註:R420R-300W展示缸

• Name: Co2 Aquarium Shop

1/F, No.166, Tung Choi Street, Kowloon, Hong Kong

TEL: 2771 1221

店名: Co2 Aquarium Shop

旺角通菜街166号1樓(美人魚樓上)

電話: 2771 1221

註:8000K R420R-160用於四呎淡水展示缸(用MAZARRA支架)

• Name: Tops Marine Aquarium

SHOP B, G/F, BING FU COMMERCIAL BUILDING, 450-454 PORTLAND STREET, MONG KOK, KOWLOON, HONG KONG

TEL: 9648 1778

店名: 新美人魚

九龍旺角砵蘭街450-454號炳富商業大厦地下B鋪

電話: 9648 1778

付款方法: 用東亞信用咭有12個月免息分期

• 店名: 漁情水族

旺角通菜街167號閣樓

電話: 2662 6883

註:有淡水和養珊瑚用R420R貨及淡水展示缸, 而淡水展示缸的燈是用上了廣角光學透鏡

• 店名: 水母之源

通菜街192號1樓

電話: 2398 8834

註:有R420R展示缸。

• 店名: 魚友水族

九龍旺角通菜街142-146號啟運大廈4字樓B室

網址: http://www.aquaristsemporium.com/

電話: 2361 2111

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

I would buy Salifert test kits, They are cheaper than in Singapore for sure. I looked for equipment on my last trip in May but found them not much cheaper and since without warranty did not buy any. One more thing, the reagent for calibrating the checker were cheap too. Happy shopping :)

I somehow feel that we reefers in sg are one up in term of LS price and availability but when come to prices on equipment we are paying that bit of extra for living in the world top 10 expensive cities..

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

Bro u missing out on the second floor shops in terms of fishes. Btw for fishes availability and prices, hk is definitely better. For eg, a small marginalis butterfly cost abt SG$30 there which u can never get here since demand there will always be high and market there highly competitive.

Equipments wise better to get from sg even if its cheaper marginally. Local warranty is king. For the reagents and test kits, yep better buy them there by the dozens lol. If u fancy anything acrylic, got a few shops that can make for u. They even hv pre-made ones.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• SRC Member
Bro, just for your reference. below are the list of some fish shop in the fish street. I hope fish street can at least keep me occupy for 3 hours... else i would be bored to death liao.
  • 店名: Perfect Aqua水族工程 旺角通菜街165號閣樓 註:R420R-300W展示缸
  • Name: Co2 Aquarium Shop 1/F, No.166, Tung Choi Street, Kowloon, Hong Kong TEL: 2771 1221 店名: Co2 Aquarium Shop 旺角通菜街166号1樓(美人魚樓上) 電話: 2771 1221 註:8000K R420R-160用於四呎淡水展示缸(用MAZARRA支架)
  • Name: Tops Marine Aquarium SHOP B, G/F, BING FU COMMERCIAL BUILDING, 450-454 PORTLAND STREET, MONG KOK, KOWLOON, HONG KONG TEL: 9648 1778 店名: 新美人魚 九龍旺角砵蘭街450-454號炳富商業大厦地下B鋪 電話: 9648 1778 付款方法: 用東亞信用咭有12個月免息分期
  • 店名: 漁情水族 旺角通菜街167號閣樓 電話: 2662 6883 註:有淡水和養珊瑚用R420R貨及淡水展示缸, 而淡水展示缸的燈是用上了廣角光學透鏡
  • 店名: 水母之源 通菜街192號1樓 電話: 2398 8834 註:有R420R展示缸。
  • 店名: 魚友水族 九龍旺角通菜街142-146號啟運大廈4字樓B室 網址: http://www.aquaristsemporium.com/'>http://www.aquaristsemporium.com/ 電話: 2361 2111

i can't remember the name of the shop. It's at the end of this street, left row. The pple there are polite. The test kits n merchandise are displayed nicely. There are also other standalone shops at prince Edward etc. something like madpetz n aquamarin style. U can google them.

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

• SRC Member

Fish price is cheaper.

saw some butterfly fish that I have never seen being sold here in SG.

I did try to look for 2nd floor shop, saw some signage but when climb up didn't find way to enter.

In the end within 1 hour bored liao, disappointed and go back.

Oh ya, that acrilyc workshop is still there. They make different type of acrylic fish isolation box.

The Procoral is the stand alone shop I visited, located at lai chi kok road. Not a big shop. The shop reef display tank is cool. The SPS growth is amazing, almost filling up the whole tank.

• SRC Member

:big_boss: huhu, turn out the trip to fish street is more fulfilling than I expected. among all the small small items I bought, I finally bought a better LED for my 2ft tank. Original intention is to shop for maspect razor r420r 120W(selling around HKD 3000 (SGD500)). Ended up sawing several LFS in fish street displaying this ZETLIGHT ZT6500 90W (selling around HKD 2800 (SGD$470)). After seeing the two lights on display, I was impressed more by the ZT6500 (razor lovers please dont kick me) for the following reasons which the razor does not featured:

1) the lighting effect is more centralize as the center of ZT6500 is a 40W LED group, representing sun like effect. (ZT6500 also uses CREE and BRIDGELUX LED).

2) Moonlight guiding feature (two blue lights strip can remain on when all lights are off)

3) remote control

4) thunder and cloud mode

5) 2 * violet LED (for a combined colour of orange to mimic sunrise and sunset)

6) one year global warranty

post-5037-0-15530800-1408845409_thumb.jp

A check on the company website for the products http://www.zetlightusa.com/#!blank/cq4r and I found that the retailing price in US is USD529 so I chop chop buy and run back to hotel to play with it :yahoo:

company website: http://www.zetlight.com/index.php/products.html?id=47

Breaking in the light in hotel room (read: playing with all the settings, 5 time points, 32 different intensity for all three white, blue and violet LED, moonlight, thunder, clouds, etc)

post-5037-0-71778600-1408843481_thumb.jp

post-5037-0-54527000-1408843489_thumb.jp

Overall I am very happy with the product and I think for SGD470 I will never be able to get similar LED in Singapore. Now I cant wait to see the effect the lights have on the... hotel side table... _-"

p/s: Corals in fish street is not cheap at all

p/s: LFS display tank is damn clean loh, I wonder did they scrape off the algae daily...

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

Looks like a good LED set you got there.( Maxspec copy?). Wonder how to handle the warranty? Can you later upgrade the individual LEDs? Maybe can mix and match color combo for best effect.

We may have better LFS in Sg while HK may have more livestock but I pity the fishes and the conditions that they are kept in. So cramped. Maybe that is just like HK...so starved for space. I bought tonnes of test kits and calibration fluids on my last trip in May to last me quite a while but did not buy equipment b'cos of warranty. Could not find a Jebao DC 12000 pump cheaper than SG ( damn why fishstreet.com don't have a shop on HK fish street???)

• SRC Member

Nice to see your trip was worthwhile. How are the prices for pumps compared to SG (as I may be making a trip down)?

Yo bro, I did not check the price of any pumps but www.fish-street.com price shall give a good indication of the price ah.

@Sept 2014

Rio pumps are about the same as singapore. Apparently the jebao pumps which we see here so often are not readily on the shelves of the LFS in Tung Choi St. The accessories are cheaper in HK, such as isolation boxes, lights, equipments for planted tanks, just to name some.

1.5' Cube | Overflow Box | 1' Sump with filter sock and 3L bacteria king | Eheim 1000 return pump | BM 3.5 | Sunsun JVP-110 wavemaker | Full spectrum Par38

Be careful of the 40 w led. It can breach your coral.

My 2 ct thought

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

Rio pumps are about the same as singapore. Apparently the jebao pumps which we see here so often are not readily on the shelves of the LFS in Tung Choi St. The accessories are cheaper in HK, such as isolation boxes, lights, equipments for planted tanks, just to name some.

how i wish all the LFS in sg are located in a single street, it is so much easy to compare pricing loh...

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

Be careful of the 40 w led. It can breach your coral.

My 2 ct thought

i am worry about that and since my tank is relatively shallow (30cm) and mostly LPS, i guess i will have to start at around 40% of the Watt and slowly increase...

@Sept 2014

how i wish all the LFS in sg are located in a single street, it is so much easy to compare pricing loh...

That's true. However quite different in local context as probably the demand side can't justify such. Tung Choi St is in the busy Mongkok district and also nearby to the other retail streets, which further increase its attractiveness. However if you been to the street over the past few years, there have been lesser shops now. Of cause there are also some new ones which start to occupy the building nearer to Prince Edward station.

My first marine fish was bought in HK 4 months ago.

1.5' Cube | Overflow Box | 1' Sump with filter sock and 3L bacteria king | Eheim 1000 return pump | BM 3.5 | Sunsun JVP-110 wavemaker | Full spectrum Par38