SRC Tank of the Quarter - PeeBee ( June 2014 - Aug 2014 )

• Admin

SRC are pleased to share with you this quarter TOTQ winner - PeeBee beautiful Mixed reef tank.

Congratulation to PeeBee !

:groupwavereversed:

gallery_17478_383_4368.jpg

Tank specifications

Salinity: 1.025

Temperature: 25-26

Ph: NIL

Calcium - 420

Alkalinity– 8.9

Magnesium – 1230

med_gallery_17478_383_189410.jpg

Tank: Hardware

Skimmer: VERTEX Omega 150 Protein Skimmer

Mechanical filtration: Filter sock

Chiller: HAILEA HS-66A 1/4HP chiller

Biopellet / reactor: D-D H2Ocean FR

Chemical filtration: Rowaphos, Vertex Biopellets

Main return pump: EHEIM 1264 return pump

Wave maker: JEBAO WP40

Lighting: MAXSPECT Razor 300W 16K

Additives used

Initially I started with the Triton method, which I feel was convenient for a new reefer, who might be daunted by the sheer variety of additives in the market and also parameters to keep track of. I, however, felt that I wanted more autonomy over the individual parameters in my tank. I have since transitioned into using the Fauna Marin Ultra Balling.

Tank maintenance

Once every 2 weeks

• Admin

Livestock – Corals

Various zoanthids, Sun coral, Candy cane coral, Bubble coral, Goniopora, Leather coral, Blastomussa, Acans, Trachyphillia, Riccordea, Golden torch coral, Elegance coral, Scolymia, Acropora, Montipora, Stylopora, Seriatopora, Chalice coral, Hammar coral.

med_gallery_17478_383_18278.jpgmed_gallery_17478_383_46929.jpgmed_gallery_17478_383_219158.jpg

med_gallery_17478_383_39933.jpgmed_gallery_17478_383_298402.jpgmed_gallery_17478_383_143250.jpg

Livestock - Fish:

Ocellaris clown, Hippo blue tang, Yellow tang, Purple tang, Sailfin tang, Eyespot goby, Melanarus fairy wrasse, Royal gramma, Mandarin dragonet. Dispar anthias

med_gallery_17478_383_62688.jpgmed_gallery_17478_383_127186.jpgmed_gallery_17478_383_143864.jpg

• Admin

Some personal Q & A

1. How long have you been reefing?

Ans: About half a year.

2. How did you get into this hobby?

Ans: I started with fresh water aquascaping and shrimp, and decided to challenge myself with a marine setup. A large part of my courage to transition to marine was from a friend of mine who helped me throughout, both for my fresh water and currently this tank. Without the support and company, I do not think I would have been able to endeavor as long.

3. Are you a fish or coral guy?

Ans: Both. I believe that it is the diversity in a reef tank that brings you one step closer to the ocean. Although it does make it that little bit more challenging, as the individual requirements of different organisms vary so much, and would also mean I am limited in what SPS I would be able to keep.

4. Any dream fish or coral you wish to own one day?

Ans: Liopropoma carmabi (a.k.a. Candy cane basslet). I love its unique coloration and shy, almost coy disposition. I previously obtained a Liopropoma swalesi, which is the cheaper cousin of the carmabi, but it was, unfortunately, devoured by my sun coral. Actually, I plan to acquire an Achilles tang next. I have a soft spot for tangs in general because my first fish was a Yellow tang, and subsequently a Sailfin tang. Both initially suffered from ich and it was really quite challenging to nurse them back to health. I currently have quite a number of tangs and they are all doing great; each seemingly has its own personality and it is a joy to watch them.

5. What is your main concern when looking around for reefing equipment?

Ans: Good quality and value for money.

6. What is your favorite past time?

Ans: Photography and diving. Thus, it is not a surprise I have a marine tank and love to take photos of it. It kind of allows me to feel I am still out in the middle of the ocean after a busy day at work.

7. What is the satisfaction you get from this hobby?

Ans: I feel a sense of achievement when things go well, and even when they don’t, it will always turn out to be a valuable learning experience. When I initially started, I had so much problems with my fish; constantly plagued by Ich and the subsequent demise of many of my fish. I, however, endeavored and realized that once my tank stabilized, all these problems subsequently resolved.

8. Any advice you have for a newbie in this hobby?

Ans: I would consider myself rather new, as I have only been in this hobby for less than a year. I must say that I am very thankful for all the help the fellow senior reefers have offered. My advice to anyone starting out, like myself, is to not be afraid to reach out to the reefing community, and keep an open mind, as there is a lot to learn from everyone out there.

9. What did you gain from this hobby?

Ans: Patience. I am generally quite “Type A”, and after reading all the hundreds of threads and articles out there on reefing, you will be told countless times how everything must be taken slow and steady. Don’t give up and you will be rewarded at the end of the day with a piece of the ocean in your own home.

Final Acknowledgement and thank you note (If any).

First and foremost I would like to thank my friends V and X for always accompanying me coral/fish shopping and lending me a listening ear. My whole family for being so supportive and understand of my tank – especially my mother who always helps me with the manual labour. Lastly, all the kind souls out there I have met in all the various places (SRC seniors, fish shop uncles, all the bros around) for all the advise and help they have rendered to me.

Enjoy the Video ;

More photos of his setup can be found on our facebook page ; www.facebook.com/sgreefclubcom

• SRC Member

Very nice tank and awesome video to showcase it! Congrats! :)

Tank Size: 3.5 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft
Sump: 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft”
Return Pump: Eheim 1264
Chiller Pump: H2Ocean Flow Pump 3000
Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 200
Wavemakers: 2 X Maxspect Gyre 130; 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP10WES, 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP40WES, 1x Jebao RW15
Filtration: Schuran Multifilter 100 (Rowa Phos), Two Little Fishies Phosban 150 Fluidised Reactor (Vertex Rox 0.8 Carbon), Enductor Fluidized Reactor- FR45 (NP Biopellets & All In One Biopellets) with Eden 140 Pump, Santa Monica Hogx1 Algae Turf Scrubber, Cheato
Calcium Reactor: Skimz CM152 with needle valve and Maxijet 600 feed Pump (CaribSea ARM Extra Coarse ,KZ Coral Gravel, Two Little Fishies Reborn, Grotech Magnesium Pro)
Dosing: Bubble Magnus Dosing Pump BM-T01 + 2 x 4 Head Expansion Accessory BM-T02
Bio Media: Marine Pure, Bacteria King, Eheim Substrat Pro, Eheim Substrat, Seachem DeNitrate, PowerHouse Hard, Polyplab Biosphere, Seachem Purigen

Chiller: JBJ Arctica Titanium Aquarium Chiller (1/3 Hp - DBE-150)
Lighting: ATI Powermodule 6 x 39 Watt T5. Solite 4 x 39 Watt T5 (Only 2 used) (Blue+ Blue+ Coral+ Purple+ Coral+ AB Special) (Blue+ Purple+)
Auto Top Up system: Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off
Monitoring: 2 x Milwaukee MC 122 PH Controller (Calcium Reactor & PH Monitoring)

Substrate: CaribSea Aragamax Select

Congrats, awesome tank!! Nice video too. What's the light u using for ur fuge, T5?

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Congrats, awesome tank!! Nice video too. What's the light u using for ur fuge, T5?

Yup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeeBee's Aquarium

Dimensions:

L 180cm x H 60cm x W 50cm (approx. 540L)

Other Specifications:

MAXSPECT Razor 300W 16K

EHEIM 1264 return pump

VERTEX Omega 150 skimmer

JEBAO WP40 wavemaker x2

HAILEA 1/4HP chiller

D-D H2Ocean FR (Rowaphos + Biopellets)

Thanks guys for the encouragement !

PeeBee's Aquarium

Dimensions:

Other Specifications:

MAXSPECT Razor 300W 16K

EHEIM 1264 return pump

VERTEX Omega 150 skimmer

JEBAO WP40 wavemaker x2

HAILEA 1/4HP chiller

• SRC Member

I told you right?????? Hahaha congrats

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

Awesome video.. and congratulations

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Current Tank(s) :

2 x 1 x 1 mixed reef tank

What in my mind now (future tanks)

4 x 2.5 x 1.5 low profile coral tank

3 x 2.5 x 1.5 low profile reef tank

Decommissioned Tanks :

2 ft seahorse tank back in the 1990s'

2.5 ft cube mixed reef tank in 2007 to 2008

JBJ 28g Tank . Maxspect G1 110W + 12W DIY LED . Tunze 9002 Skimmer . Vortech MP10w ES . SPS only Tank . Picasso Clown Fish (2009 to 2011)

2 x 1 x 1 puffer-fishes, box-fishes & Frog-fish tank (2015)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone! We are new to the hobby and so we were very surprised to be nominated; we feel very encouraged by the support of so many bros and sis who see the potential of our tank (: we are excited to continue to share our learning experience in our tank thread, do check it out if you're interested in more photos and videos (:

• Like 1

PeeBee's Aquarium

Dimensions:

Other Specifications:

MAXSPECT Razor 300W 16K

EHEIM 1264 return pump

VERTEX Omega 150 skimmer

JEBAO WP40 wavemaker x2

HAILEA 1/4HP chiller

• 3 weeks later...