Help me ID this fishes please ^_^

• SRC Member

Possibly Neovespicula depressifrons, but definitely a tetrarogid. It's not Centrogenys. Incidentally, I don't buy the mimicry story. For one thing, why mimic something that is trying to not be seen? And secondly - and more importantly - Centrogenys can deliver a mild sting itself. (I know that from first-hand experience).

Possibly Neovespicula depressifrons, but definitely a tetrarogid. It's not Centrogenys. Incidentally, I don't buy the mimicry story. For one thing, why mimic something that is trying to not be seen? And secondly - and more importantly - Centrogenys can deliver a mild sting itself. (I know that from first-hand experience).

Hi Dr Gill, It is nice to have you here to provide some first gand experience.. I have not been stung by the centrogeny before but again, I did not handle it with barehands before and it is quite shy when I place my hand into the tank so didnt have much problem with it..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

Dr. Gill, saw the pakoko wrasse you defined with tanaka-San being featured in RB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies. a scorpion fish?!

Its actually pretty small, like the quarter size of my finger (or anyones) so i dont think its a grouper. And it is surviving well in my fresh water aq.

EDIT: Okay have found them, the are called butter fly gobies and they have a sting :o

Thanks for your help guys! :)