DIY overflow system

Melvin

• SRC Member

Hi, Melvin,

Very impressive DIY indeed.

Will you be able to advise how big is your drain pipe and skimming pipe?

With your present configuration, what pump size can it handle?

Thank you very much, and keep the DIY idea going.....

Cheers, :whistle:whistle

Chipson1

• SRC Member

Saw the design damn impressive and nicely done, the overflow can go along with 3ft tank not a problem, if for 4ft, just do 2 will do, dont need to increase the pipe size. cheer :idea:

• SRC Member
Based on the pipe size, the capacity could handle to 3500l/hr. For more, need to use 32mm pipe. Also have to increase the skimmer hole size.

Hi Melvin

Just went thru this thread. Great idea!! :idea:

For the pump flowrate, are you saying that 3500 l/hr is the max it can handle, and should not use pumps which are greater than that?

I am interested in that too. Can pm me the price? :thanks:

• SRC Member

For the pump flowrate, are you saying that 3500 l/hr is the max it can handle, and should not use pumps which are greater than that?

Hi Bro, 3500l/hr should not be a problem....if u want higher flowrate u i can enlarge the piping bigger or make 2 for yr tank(to have a better two end flow to yr sump).... :thanks:

• SRC Member
Hi Bro, 3500l/hr should not be a problem....if u want higher flowrate u i can enlarge the piping bigger or make 2 for yr tank(to have a better two end flow to yr sump).... :thanks:

Ok, but what I am asking is that can we use a stronger than 3500 l/hr pump? Or shd I stick to something between 2000 and 3500 l/hr? What is the optimum pump required/ recommended?

• SRC Member

Melvin, :bow::bow:

Thanks for your DIY idea :thanks::thanks:

I have just installed your overflow pipe to a 6 ft tank, runnign on 3500lph, its great, fast flow rate, I think it can handle even more, I DIY 2 sets but just use one, as it is more than enough, great DIY. :idea::idea:

Will try to post some pictures of the DIY.

Cheers :whistle:whistle

Chipson1

• SRC Member

Hi Melvin :peace::peace: ,

I have installed the overflow pipe in my friend's tank. I will ask him to take some picts for you and others. I have changed your overflow couplin to those floor trap, it grips the drainage pipe tightly so that I can move the outer pipe up and down conveniently.

Pictures comng soon.

:whistle:whistle

Chipson1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
My friend is in Toronto, will take some pictures when he is back, as I have promised Melvin,

Cheers! :whistle:whistle

Chipson1

Hi Chipson1,

Could you please enlighten me how do the initial startup?

Thanks!

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

Giving up hobby, due to family commitment.

• SRC Member

Hi guys, sorry for the long delay of images. :(:(

Finally I got the pictures.

As you can see the overflow cone is make of floor / drainage trap. The grip onto the pipe is very tight, so that you can move the skimmer tube up or down to deicde the water level of the main tank.

The flow rate is fantastic, presently my friend is running on 3500 lph, it should be able to run up to 4200 lph.

Melvin,

I have made some changes, such as a 45 degree L instead of 90 degree, some other will be shown in next few pictures.

Cheers! :whistle:whistle

Chipson1

post-9-1085199045.jpg

• SRC Member

I have arranged the down pipe inside to save space.

To initiate the flow, remove the right hand side end cap and suck the water from the main tank, once the water starts to move, put the end cap back tightly. You will see the suction so strong and the water is gushing to the sump box.

DO NOT DRILL HOLE ON TEH END CAP!!!!

See picture

post-9-1085199514.jpg

I have arranged the down pipe inside to save space.

To initiate the flow, remove the right hand side end cap and suck the water from the main tank, once the water starts to move, put the end cap back tightly. You will see the suction so strong and the water is gushing to the sump box.

DO NOT DRILL HOLE ON TEH END CAP!!!!

See picture

How do you suck water from the main tank? thanks

• SRC Member

How do you suck water from the main tank? thanks

Remove the end cap, close the ball valve, (if you do not have a ball valve, use end cap to close the drain pipe) use your mouth to suck the vertical pipe, do not suck to hard, else you will be drinking your tank water.

As you slowly suck the pipe, you will hear the bubbling of the water, unitl the water reaches your mouth, put the end cap on the vertical pipe, then remove the end cap on teh drain pipe below.

Simple and foul proof.