DIY overflow system

Melvin

Remove the end cap, close the ball valve, (if you do not have a ball valve, use end cap to close the drain pipe) use your mouth to suck the vertical pipe, do not suck to hard, else you will be drinking your tank water.

As you slowly suck the pipe, you will hear the bubbling of the water, unitl the water reaches your mouth, put the end cap on the vertical pipe, then remove the end cap on teh drain pipe below.

Simple and foul proof.

:thanks: Chipson1.

• SRC Member

Terryz,

It is a ball valve, to open or the shut the flow, I think it's about $10, I don't have the exact price, can get it from Hai Cheong Plastic at Kallang Place, may be shop at Lavender.

Cheers! :):)

Chipson1

• SRC Member
Terryz,

It is a ball valve, to open or the shut the flow, I think it's about $10, I don't have the exact price, can get it from Hai Cheong Plastic at Kallang Place, may be shop at Lavender.

Chipson1

Estimate cost for whole set up?

Terryz,

Chipson1

This is the normal ball valve or the union ball valve(Dunno what is it called)...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member
Hi chipson,

What is the function for this end cap? Can I do wthout it? Will the flowrate or the siphoning path be affected then?

The end cap is to prevent air breaking the water flow, it will be air tight and hence provide a suction that promote the flow rate.

Cheers!

:whistle:whistle

Chipson1

• SRC Member

This is the normal ball valve or the union ball valve(Dunno what is it called)...

Terryz,

You can either use the union ball valve or a simple ball valve, I normally perfer the union ball valve, it is easier in case of valve leaks, I then just replace the valve alone.

Hope u understand what I meant.

Cheers!

:whistle:whistle

Chipson1

The end cap is to prevent air breaking the water flow, it will be air tight and hence provide a suction that promote the flow rate.

Chipson, if this is the case, then why would you need to have this opening in the beginning?

Is there any other features?

Will siphoning restart after pump recovery from failure when the cap is on/off? Have this been tested?

• SRC Member

Chipson, if this is the case, then why would you need to have this opening in the beginning?

Is there any other features?

Will siphoning restart after pump recovery from failure when the cap is on/off? Have this been tested?

Hi DesMond,

The end cap is for the first time siponing, you need to fill the entire pipe with water for the very first time, make sure the ball valve is closed (end cap closed if no ball valve installed) the vertical pipe is to facilitate the suction from the main tank.

Once the water is filled, before turn on the ball valve below (or release of the end cap, if no ball valve installed) put the end cap back to the vertical pipe tightly, then open the ball valve and the water will be gushing down.

When the return pump stop, water will still be trap in the U pipe as long as the vertical pipe is sealed with the end cap, restart the return pump and circulation resume.

If you have ever used a overflow box before, you will then appreciate this vertical pipe, its so handyly postioned and no need the insertion of silicon tube to suck the water and air out of the pipe. :peace:

Cheers! :whistle:whistle

Chipson1

Hi Chipson,

I have done a similar design and put it to test. I must agree with you that this design can really support a high flowrate, really impressive.

As for the end cap thing, I have done two test. One with the end cap on and the other with the end cap off.

Test 1:

Once the flowrate starts, I removed the end cap. Flowrate still continue though the rate drop a little. Not significant though. I guess this is due to the fact of loosing "air-tight" as you have mentioned earlier.

I shut off the return pump. Once the water level in the main tank falls below the surface skimmer intake, siphoning seems to stop after the minimum water level in the cylinder has reached. Water still remain in the 2 U-channel.

Next, I power back on the return pump, water level in the main tank raises and start to fill to the surface skimmer intake, the cylinder get filled up and water level in the cylinder raised and siphoning restart! bravo!

Test 2:

I leave the end cap on. Flowrate is at its maximum.

The pump is off and water level falls below the surface skimmer intake. Siphoning stop once min. water level in the cylinder is reached.

This time round, gluping sound is heard.

The pump is turned on, water level raises and start to fill the cylinder. Siphoning did not restart.

Further inspection found that water is no longer present in the 2 U channel.

The test is re-run and similar thing happened.

Chipson, I guess we can deduced 1 thing. With the end cap on, it create an air-tight full siphoning environment. When the min water level is reached, water in the pipe is still being siphoned down to the sump tank. Eventually draining out the U channel.

With the end cap off, a semi-siphoning is created. siphoning will break once the water level reached the U-channel level. i.e. min water level. Cos its a semi-siphoning effect, water will be trapped within the U channel.

This is important as it determine whether the siphoning will restart.

I have gone through this thread from the beginning once again and realised that Melvin did mentioned about removing the end cap once siphon starts. I believe this is the reason why he said so.

Agreeable?

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi all,

I followed the instructions given by this thread and diy'ed the overflow. Flow rate is fantastic but I am left wih one problem, the siphon will not re-start when power resumes after a power failure to the return pump in the sump

The test is done with both the cap on and off. Could it be the difference in heght between the input and output of the overflow is too much.

Also, I copied the design and I hope no one is offended.

Any help with the siphon re-start problem is much appreciated

Thanks

post-9-1086432750.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

guys u all are great i was thinking on how to make a sump tank but my present tank got no holes and this design was excellent .only got 2 question i dunno know how to make the suction cap and the thing on how to mount it to the tank need more detail pic ,can some 1 help me tks