DIY overflow system

Melvin

Melvin,

Just one more question is, the Min water level is very low.  Close to 3/4 down before the siphon will stop.  Do you have a sump this big that can hold so much water (3/4 of the tank) in case if the return pipe fail?

Thanks,

Patrick

I have the same question in mind. If pump should stop for whatever reason, water in MAIN TANK will drop to RED line and sump will overflow (unless the sump is very big)

post-9-1078133102.jpg

Hi Brother, is not the main tank water drop to the red line, i means the water in the surface skimmer drop to the red line..(have try it, water went to the sump not more ~ 2 liter....) :idea:

More confused now. Is this part (blue arrow) sealed? i.e water only siphon from the top (big pink arrow)

post-9-1078133827.jpg

Yes..Boss

I get it :idea:

But another question, does siphon start automatically (like other overflow) when pump is restarted? If so, I really can't figure out how. Cos the first "U" pipe from main tank is filled with air when water drop to the min water line.

• SRC Member

Hi brother, During the cycle the return pump will pump the water up and achieve the height differance of water lever in the surface skimmer then the flow will start again..

U have to do a initial start for the first time....see previous statement

Hope u understand.... :D:D

• SRC Member

Now I finally got it. At first I thought the water was sucked in from both the skimmer and the bottom, and now I realize the bottom is sealed and the only way water can be sucked in is through the skimmer. Also, the bottom of the big PVC pipe will always have water remain since the U channel at the other end will stop the water from flowing out.

The only improvement I can see is that if the fill cap pipe for iinitial start up can be taller, so you can simply pour water into it and start right away.

Also, ideally, if you make the middle section of the pipe longer (both the bigger PVC and the normal pvc), will it make the suction even faster?

Thanks,

Patrick

• SRC Member

I have tried to do a simple test with this setup before, thanx to advice from nutx.

I do find a potential problem which I have faced: Given a high flow rate for the return pump, the water flowing into the setup will cross the lamina flow rate into the turbulent region; thereby causing a lot of bubbles underwater. If this bubbles are excessive, they will build up in the pipes and eventually break the siphon.

One way I can think of is to raise the minimum water level up, but that will cause the power of the siphon to reduce. is there a way to optimize the flowrate of the setup without excessive bubble buildup?

And a few more question:

1. how do you create the holes in the surface skiimmer? They look really professional and nice.

2. how do you secure the surface skimmer to the input tube?

All in all, this is a very professional piece of DIY.

• SRC Member

Hi Brother, i don't face such a problem i did try with high return flow to main tank and noticed the bubble will go toward the water surface and will not cause breaking in siphon.

( I did mention before some need to be special machining)

As for the securing fixture i will take a photo and post it, but not now.....Because i don't have a camera now... :P

• SRC Member

Melvin,

i must say, the over flow pipe's design is fantastic..

I have made a copy of it with a bit of mod..HOPE YOU DON'T MIND I COPY YR DESIGN..

I've used a screw cap instead of a end cap, a found out that the screw cap a actually control the flow. But don't know wether will it break the siphon. Nedd to test it further.. ty

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...