DIY overflow system

Melvin

is 16 mm piping suitable? or what size is best to use??

thanks

it depends on what kinda turnover u want..

higher turnover = higher flowrate = bigger pipes used

from my own experience, 20mm pipes allow bout 1600L/H flow.. this is an estimate as the 20mm overflow can't support my Ehiem1260 if i fully open the valve on the return.

So if u are looking at 16mm pipes, i guess it'll support only up to 1000-1200L/H.

any bros think otherwise?

• SRC Member

it depends on what kinda turnover u want..

higher turnover = higher flowrate = bigger pipes used

from my own experience, 20mm pipes allow bout 1600L/H flow.. this is an estimate as the 20mm overflow can't support my Ehiem1260 if i fully open the valve on the return.

So if u are looking at 16mm pipes, i guess it'll support only up to 1000-1200L/H.

any bros think otherwise?

Guess you are right. I'm using 16mm pipe with Ehiem 1250 (1200 l/hr).

is this workable? i choose 20mm pipe. i tried it in a pail of water(without the skimmer portion yet) , the flow is very small and slow... why? can anyone help me with it

maybe there's still air trapped in the U-pipe? try filling up the whole pipe with water and try again?

is this workable? i choose 20mm pipe. i tried it in a pail of water(without the skimmer portion yet) , the flow is very small and slow... why? can anyone help me with it

the situation is normal as you just try it using a pail of water, there is not enough downward force to drain the water out. try elevating the pail of water, and see the water flow makes a difference. ;)

Hi Bro....u can add a ball-valve, but it will reduce the flow-rate...im using this with my ball-valve fully open(very silence...some trick/tune on the fill cap ;) )

(This system is able to hander very high flow-rate :o )

regards

Melvin

why by adding a ball-valve, but it will reduce the flow-rate?????

20mm pipe use 20mm ball valve size? or use a bigger size ball valve? i realised the hole inside the ball valve is smaller than the pipe.

Hi Jun,

It doesn't matter the inside size of the ball joint. Just able to fit can already.

U sure can use a pail of water to try. The flow should be the same, because water pressure is the same, and placing it higher will not make much diff.

shut the output with palm or ball joint, suck from the top opening till water comes out, and no more air bubbling up. Then, open the output wide, and u should see the flushing effect!

Do not expect the trapped air in the "n" to clear up by itself, it will take quite some time even after you finish drain the pail, and only if you cover the top opening tightly.

Also, pls recycle the testing water. Dun waste it.

Cheers!

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

Giving up hobby, due to family commitment.

melvin.. can u help me check this out! wat problem does it have??

Hi,

Except that the opening pipe length a bit too short, and without a ball valve to shut for the initial flow start up. I dun see any problem liao.

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

Giving up hobby, due to family commitment.

• 1 month later...

Jun and searching4dan you have to take a look in this post, there is a draw whit the explanation that what you have to adjust by not gluing up

I think you have the skimmer inside pipe to large, it have to be no more than 5 cm down the out pipe (the central T elbow)

I had have the same problem and I cut the central pipe and put same conectors to enlarge it and the flow go up, maybe you have to try that.

hope it help

regards

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi Brother Melvin,

Could you please also suggest a design that can drain water only from bottom of tank and not from upper level of tank but the siphoning effect will stop when main tank water level drop to about 1/4 of tank water???? I've been thinking for the whole day but can't find a decent solution. As I have a fresh water tank, I don't need surface skimmer. The problem with overflow design is that it drain the upper level of water and when the sump pump return the water into the tank, that water will also be returned to that upper level too. So, it's something like we're just filtering around upper 1/3 and deep areas of my tank is not involved.

So, if there's a solution for that function with PVC pipes, please help again bro. Please also see the attached picture and suggest whether it will work or not.

Thanks,

HK77

post-15934-1232474340.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...