My Virgin attempt at Marine

Silentlurker

• SRC Member

Once again, thanks for your advice and recommendations. As cleaning the canister can be rather troublesome, I rather not include items that need replenishment (eg. Rowophos, chemipure elite etc) as forgetting to replace means it becomes a ticking timebomb. Think I will fill it with the usual bio filtration media and use daily/weekly dosing for PO4 removal. NO3 removal will just have to rely on regular WC.

Task for the weekend then is to decomm the HOB filter and implement the Canister. Will keep the HOB to run AC or Chemipure in the future if needed.

bro, no offence, but if you dont use filter floss in your canister, all the fish waste + fish food + whatever will accumulate/ stuck at your bio filtration media, i.e. you will need to clean your canister too. by then you will have to rinse your filter media in seawater to clear the physical waste which post a greater inconvenience than just to wash the filter floss monthly.

just my two cents worth of suggestion. You will find out more when you start to add in LS to your tank...

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

bro, no offence, but if you dont use filter floss in your canister, all the fish waste + fish food + whatever will accumulate/ stuck at your bio filtration media, i.e. you will need to clean your canister too. by then you will have to rinse your filter media in seawater to clear the physical waste which post a greater inconvenience than just to wash the filter floss monthly.

just my two cents worth of suggestion. You will find out more when you start to add in LS to your tank...

Yes. Will have filter floss. The pro 3 2075 has both filter floss and pre filter compartment.

Hi bro, the canister just use filterwool and bacteria king media. You just need to clean filterwool on a weekly basis and not replace anything else, you will end up recycle the tank. For starters, try to go easy with the amount of fishes. I always suggest that you have a smaller separate tank to qt them first for a couple of weeks before intro main tank. You can still reuse the hob filter and airstone pump to qt fishes.

185 Gallons - 5ft tank since nov 2013

When you fish for love, bait with your heart, not your brain

• SRC Member

Update: Day 11 of setting up the tank. Just did a 15% water change. Added a blue legged hermit crab and banded coral shrimp on day 7 and dosed another 2 vials of prodibio startup. Both LS doing well and cleaned up the left over mp.

Added a royal gramma yesterday. All LS feeding on tdo pellets.

Salinity: 1.025

Ph: 8.0

Ammonia: 0

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: 25

Phosphate: 0.1

Temp: 30

• SRC Member
Bro, the RODI will justify the cost eventually over buying distilled water. If you looking for canister, i got 1 to let go, eheim but without quick connector. Need to upgrade the impeller though.
Thanks for the advise and offer bro. Currently topping up about 2 bottles of distiller water weekly. Also have a canister spare at home to use so won't be needing one. Added a Flame Angel, cleaner shrimp and GSP this week. Still looking for a suitable bottom dweller but can't be gobies as I don't have a cover and water level is 1.5cm from the tank rim. Also contemplating another coral either blasto or candy cane. Any idea which would be more comfortable in water temp of 30 +/- 1 degree?

Any current pic of ur tank?

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

No worries, better to stock slowly. Easy on the pockets too.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Sorry for lack of update. Over the last 2-3 weeks, added some new livestock.

More cleanup crew consisting of:

2xTurbo snail

1xNarcissus snail

Also added some easy corals from pasar malam:

2xBlasto

1xMicromussa

1xGSP

Some other livestock:

1xBTA

1xSwales Swissguard Basslet

1xclownfish

1xMaxima clam

d58ea2e8b57004af1e05267ae5b88700.jpg

6f22429650b07defa211acd4b4a019ff.jpg

Pardon the CMI photography.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I would beg to differ on the need for a canister filter for this tank. Aquaroche rock is supposed to be as porous as live rock, so it should be conducive enough for bacteria to colonize and act as your bio filter. For a nano, especially with a good skimmer and perhaps use of some biospheres in one of the compartments of the HOB filter, your tank should be all set. If not using biospheres, then just do more frequent water changes to reduce nitrate levels.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

GccpçraovgmGmvy

After 4 weeks of preping and research, I've finally gotten down to setting up the tank and equipment. A good one week was spent 4 coating the WI stand with 4 coats of anti rust paint and apply nano sealant over it as well as 6 coat varnish on the wood placed on the stand.

Last evening, cleaned up the tank and filled it up with aged tap water to test if tank was leaking and also setup the Fluval C4 HOB and wave maker.

uzupu7ag.jpg

Today, setup both the RO BH1000 skimmer and light set.

etamezys.jpg

I know the wires are extremely messy but planning to move in a couple of months time so unlikely to tidy it up for the time being.

Due to the two HOB, I can't position the light set in the middle and might have to supplement with another Par38

Unfortunately, cycling hasn't started and I'm running fw in it for the time being.

Any recommendations for placement of equipment to tidy the setup will be much appreciated.

Tank Specs: 45cm cube (approximately 90L)

Skimmer: Reef Octopus BH1000

Filter: Fluval C4

Wavemaker: Tunze 6045

Lightset: Maxspect Glaive 30cm

Xpb.oxbbttopmvxnb