Simple and easy way to DIY drip acclimation

asg

• SRC Member

Hi all bros, as we all known, drip acclimation is one of the best method of acclimating new LS but lot of us are put off by the steps involved. I have come up with a very draft and simple method of doing it. It is still very much in theory but I believe it will work (gravity and equalization of water pressure shall make sure it did).

The key idea is to put a 1.5l (or smaller) coke plastic water bottle with neck cut off (filled with tank water) and with a few holes at the bottom and place it in a tubberware/ pail/ small container which hold the LS and LFS water.

The tank water shall slowing flow (drip) through the hole at the base of the water bottle into the tubberware until the water level equal out (if my physic teach teaches me the right knowledge).

The advantage of doing drip acclimation this way is that we can just set up with easily available thingy and forget about it till the water level out. It is also easier to pour away the mixed water and top up the water bottle with more tank water (if you want to do a longer acclimation process).

Please let me know what you guys think about this. I shall try this out when I am back to SG end of next week and hopefully it works. :big_boss:

post-5037-0-91674200-1411705880_thumb.pn

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

Once the level in the water bottle is at the same level as the pail, the water will stop flowing into the pail already...

Angel Keeper

:thumbsup: yes, I am aware of that. at that point, I can either top up the water bottle with more tank water + pour away some of the pail water or just play around with the size of the pail/ water bottle.

p/s: bro, any luck at the fish street?

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

Wouldn't the water level in the bottle quickly equalise with the level in the trough?

bro, the bottle will only have a small hole (outlet) near the base, the water in it will have no way to leave the bottle except this hole. How fast the water will leave it... this one I have to trial and error... but to me if it is anything from 30mins to one hour, i am happy liao.

@Sept 2014

Dunnoe if this is considered DIY but what i did was get airline tubing with a 3 way air valve and stick together as the picture below. Of cause the bottle can be as big as u want. Just make sure the tupperware where your livestock is in can contain all the water if no overflow gg

9b1f4461d0a08cf8ed5c79c6297b0a99.jpg

I use 3 so that i can acclimatise 3 different bags of livestock at one go as it sits in the tank water

• SRC Member

This way at least you can control the drip amount per tube accordingly using the respective air valve

:big_boss: nice way of controlling flow. But since the air tube valve is higher than the bottle, how do you get the water to start (and continue) to dip?

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

My tank has bracing where i can put the bottle on. As for the bags of livestock will be in the tank, its way below the bottom of the bottle. As for siphoning just use mouth :P...haha as long as the water reach the air valve can stop sucking and prevent getting saltwater into mouth.

_-" how do you then keep the open bag floating in you tank ah?

@Sept 2014