My slice of nature

SubzeroLT

• SRC Supporter

Was trying an experiment to trap my goby using the mineral water bottle method. Placed some mysis shrimp in the bottle.

Didn't feed it for a couple of days. It'll just sit in front of the bottle every day (very often just before the small opening) but simply refuse to go in.

On the other hand, the scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp would simply crawl in, have some food, then crawl out again.

Experiment ended after a week.

PC082205.jpg

The battle with brown algae continues.

My sea cucumber does a nice job but its really slow though.

PC112208.jpg

Water parameters :

Ammonia : 0

Nitrate : Currently ~ 0. Was ~2ppm before adding additional bio pellets about 4 days back

Phosphate : 0.03

Ca : 440

Mg : 1320

KH : 9.3

Potassium : 410

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member

Very nice, I just wish I had half of your diy skills and I would be good.

Did you "open" up a hole round the back of your cabinet or it was like that from the start? Knowing freshwater setup usually has small holes at the back for just the canister tubes.

Tank Size: 3.5 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft
Sump: 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft”
Return Pump: Eheim 1264
Chiller Pump: H2Ocean Flow Pump 3000
Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 200
Wavemakers: 2 X Maxspect Gyre 130; 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP10WES, 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP40WES, 1x Jebao RW15
Filtration: Schuran Multifilter 100 (Rowa Phos), Two Little Fishies Phosban 150 Fluidised Reactor (Vertex Rox 0.8 Carbon), Enductor Fluidized Reactor- FR45 (NP Biopellets & All In One Biopellets) with Eden 140 Pump, Santa Monica Hogx1 Algae Turf Scrubber, Cheato
Calcium Reactor: Skimz CM152 with needle valve and Maxijet 600 feed Pump (CaribSea ARM Extra Coarse ,KZ Coral Gravel, Two Little Fishies Reborn, Grotech Magnesium Pro)
Dosing: Bubble Magnus Dosing Pump BM-T01 + 2 x 4 Head Expansion Accessory BM-T02
Bio Media: Marine Pure, Bacteria King, Eheim Substrat Pro, Eheim Substrat, Seachem DeNitrate, PowerHouse Hard, Polyplab Biosphere, Seachem Purigen

Chiller: JBJ Arctica Titanium Aquarium Chiller (1/3 Hp - DBE-150)
Lighting: ATI Powermodule 6 x 39 Watt T5. Solite 4 x 39 Watt T5 (Only 2 used) (Blue+ Blue+ Coral+ Purple+ Coral+ AB Special) (Blue+ Purple+)
Auto Top Up system: Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off
Monitoring: 2 x Milwaukee MC 122 PH Controller (Calcium Reactor & PH Monitoring)

Substrate: CaribSea Aragamax Select

• SRC Supporter

Bro, give the bio pallets a month, the cynao should disappear by then. Dosing bacteria helps too.

Noted. I'm dosing a couple of drops daily at the moment. The cynao really bugs me. Waiting it out.

Very nice, I just wish I had half of your diy skills and I would be good.

Did you "open" up a hole round the back of your cabinet or it was like that from the start? Knowing freshwater setup usually has small holes at the back for just the canister tubes.

I asked the cabinet maker to make the back panel as open as possible back then. Just a center structure for support & to screw things on.

Next DIY is a netting to prevent fishes from jumping out. Still thinking of concepts. Hopefully nothing too ugly.

• SRC Member

Noted. I'm dosing a couple of drops daily at the moment. The cynao really bugs me. Waiting it out.

I asked the cabinet maker to make the back panel as open as possible back then. Just a center structure for support & to screw things on.

Next DIY is a netting to prevent fishes from jumping out. Still thinking of concepts. Hopefully nothing too ugly.

2fe896445654fc34ec8a3ec5daf1c2e9.jpg

I used this netting as a cover. Can get from home fix/ self fix, etc. There are different sizes too.

Wavemakers: 2 X Maxspect Gyre 130; 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP10WES, 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP40WES, 1x Jebao RW15
Filtration: Schuran Multifilter 100 (Rowa Phos), Two Little Fishies Phosban 150 Fluidised Reactor (Vertex Rox 0.8 Carbon), Enductor Fluidized Reactor- FR45 (NP Biopellets & All In One Biopellets) with Eden 140 Pump, Santa Monica Hogx1 Algae Turf Scrubber, Cheato
Calcium Reactor: Skimz CM152 with needle valve and Maxijet 600 feed Pump (CaribSea ARM Extra Coarse ,KZ Coral Gravel, Two Little Fishies Reborn, Grotech Magnesium Pro)
Dosing: Bubble Magnus Dosing Pump BM-T01 + 2 x 4 Head Expansion Accessory BM-T02
Bio Media: Marine Pure, Bacteria King, Eheim Substrat Pro, Eheim Substrat, Seachem DeNitrate, PowerHouse Hard, Polyplab Biosphere, Seachem Purigen

Lighting: ATI Powermodule 6 x 39 Watt T5. Solite 4 x 39 Watt T5 (Only 2 used) (Blue+ Blue+ Coral+ Purple+ Coral+ AB Special) (Blue+ Purple+)
Monitoring: 2 x Milwaukee MC 122 PH Controller (Calcium Reactor & PH Monitoring)

On 12/8/2014 at 11:10 AM, SubzeroLT said:

Bubble coral :

I've tried a more shaded area & lower flow but the bubbles continued to look deflated.

The thing that helped was more food (thanks Admiraltian for the tip).

Fed it a market prawn over the course of a week & it seems to remain inflated all the time now. It does seem like excessive food though.

AEB3CDAE-0796-4718-A875-B4B7F214A23F.jpg

Good to know that ur bubble doing well now.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Supporter

Spent the past hour testing concepts of a simple mesh cover.

Got an egg crate & DIY a 'mesh' using some spare fishing line.

PC192217.jpg

PC192216.jpg

Think i'll need to use thicker fishing line & to run another set of string in the perpendicular direction.

Current 'mesh' won't hold back a small jumping fish (eg. Goby)

And honestly, quite ugly having a screen on top of the tank. Haiz.... :unsure:

• SRC Supporter

2fe896445654fc34ec8a3ec5daf1c2e9.jpg

I used this netting as a cover. Can get from home fix/ self fix, etc. There are different sizes too.

Thanks for the tip. I might need to go for this if my DIY doesn't work.

• SRC Member

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/diy-screen-top-instructions/

Maybe you can do something like this? I wanted too but again, wasn't too confident of my diy skills so I took the easy way out. :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter

Am still figuring out options to prevent fishes from jumping out.

In particular, i'm using a Skimz overflow box & the minimum water height from the top edge of the tank is just 2cm. High chance of fishes going over the glass edge when they swim up along the glass panel.

I increased dose of Micro Bacter & Bio Fuel & turned on the UV filter to run 12 hours a day. Brown algae disappeared almost entirely in 3 days.

I had some hair algae growing on the PVC pipe in the refugium (located about 3 inches from the light). That disappeared too.

Some new additions :

Inspired by Andtsg's pink short polyp goniopora, I found one at GO :

PC282297.jpg

Several new Zoa

PC282329.jpg

Got this from a fellow reefer clearing some corals the other day. There were many reefers there the other day but no one could recall its name...anyone can help here?

It opens up to palm size.

PC282321.jpg

GSP from fellow reefer. Attached itself to another rock in 2 days.

PC282298.jpg

Shots of other corals :

PC282295.jpg

Minimum fishes in the display tank at the moment. New additions still in quarantine & getting them accustomed to pellet food.

9C345391-E58A-4C58-9B26-8D8B94EC22AE.jpg

I increased dose of Micro Bacter & Bio Fuel & turned on the UV filter to run 12 hours a day. Brown algae disappeared almost entirely in 3 days.

I had some hair algae growing on the PVC pipe in the refugium (located about 3 inches from the light). That disappeared too.

Nice corals. I dose Micro Bacter too but my brown algae is still there :-(

• SRC Supporter

Nice corals. I dose Micro Bacter too but my brown algae is still there :-(

Thanks.

Maybe you can try adding Bio Fuel as well. It was suggested by Ken (Madpetz).

On 12/28/2014 at 9:03 AM, SubzeroLT said:

Am still figuring out options to prevent fishes from jumping out.

In particular, i'm using a Skimz overflow box & the minimum water height from the top edge of the tank is just 2cm. High chance of fishes going over the glass edge when they swim up along the glass panel.

Some new additions :

Inspired by Andtsg's pink short polyp goniopora, I found one at GO :

PC282297.jpg

Several new Zoa

PC282329.jpg

Got this from a fellow reefer clearing some corals the other day. There were many reefers there the other day but no one could recall its name...anyone can help here?

It opens up to palm size.

PC282321.jpg

GSP from fellow reefer. Attached itself to another rock in 2 days.

PC282298.jpg

Shots of other corals :

PC282295.jpg

Minimum fishes in the display tank at the moment. New additions still in quarantine & getting them accustomed to pellet food.

9C345391-E58A-4C58-9B26-8D8B94EC22AE.jpg

That pink Palm size coral is a cynarina.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Supporter

Re-did the mesh over the aquarium using thin fishing line (0.18mm thick). $5 for this reel.

They had thicker fishing line (line tennis string) but that would be unnecessary.

PC292342.jpg

Spent an hour :wacko: running a square mesh + diagonal around the egg crate.

This will suffice for now...functional.

Peace of mind that fishes won't jump out. And most importantly to keep them safe from accidental suicide.

PC292343.jpg

PC292340.jpg

• SRC Supporter

wow really nice DIY Mesh! If only there's a way to use better material other than egg crates!

Great idea for Display Tank cover! :thumbsup:

Thanks. Its quite ugly but at least it works with minimum light blocked.

• SRC Supporter

Some updates & photos....

A seemingly peaceful blue eye anthias. But it whacked & killed a fellow blue eye anthias & chromis. Leaves the rest alone though.

P1042540.jpg

Purple Firefish from Coral Farm. Hides in odd places but comes out quite often.

P1042465.jpg

Ricordia swallowing a piece of bait fish. Should have torn off a smaller piece before feeding.

P1042516.jpg

Yuma

P1042526.jpg

Long tentacle plate coral (Heliofungia actiniformis). Green body. Blue tentacles. Pink tip.

My fav coral at the moment.

P1042560.jpg

Branching golden hammer (euphyllia paraancora)

P1042484.jpg

PC312387.jpg

P1042577.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Supporter

Some recent photos to share :

Harlequin shrimp

P2142794.jpg

P2152823.jpg

Sea slug feeding on blue sponge.

P1312593.jpg

Seeking advice :

I started getting this on my glass after I started feeding/dosing phytoplakton. What's this?

P2142626.jpg