dinGdinG's nano xperience~!

dinGdinG

• SRC Supporter

My pods got depleted within 1 day by Chromis... for the light, I'm using 60w w wide angle lens. Have to go low to balance algae and coral needs. No sps so doesn't matter.

hmmm.. 1 chromis or many chromisss? Coz I'm considering 2 blue chromis or 2 bicolour anthias for my next fish purchase.. I am so in love with the bicolour anthias right now.. damn it, got to control my itchy hands...

Just have to keep reefing... cant stop now~!

• SRC Supporter

Anthias are nice, but they need space. You sound like you're gonna get a bigger tank soon. Lol

Or maybe i just get 1 bicolour anthias? hahaha

Actually i am also in the midst of planning to get a bigger tank for my new place.. Maybe a fish room like bro cedric too haha, but have to focus on my nano at the moment, so many limitations.. Battling so many problems now, diatom, high nitrate levels, high phosphate levels, unstable temperatures, corals dying etc etc.. But good learning lessons altogether and endless research..

Butttt.. Keep reefing~!!

November coming soon, I am actually waiting for your FTS bro... :D

• SRC Member

Yes, thats the challenge of managing a small volume of water... Sounds like you really need a chiller. Have u upgraded your skimmer? Do some big water changes for now. Consider adding chemical media like rowaphos. Maybe carbon dosing with biospheres if your skimmer is up to it. I've been battling cyano on the sandbed recently... slowly winning the fight by regular siphoning... FTS will come soon :)

4032134229021418s_zpsx5nrshsi.JPG

hmmm.. 1 chromis or many chromisss? Coz I'm considering 2 blue chromis or 2 bicolour anthias for my next fish purchase.. I am so in love with the bicolour anthias right now.. damn it, got to control my itchy hands...

i had 3 chromis back then, and a coral beauty angelfish.

as for the problems you are going through, i went through as well.

my 2cents are:

1) grab a real good skimmer, you will be shocked to see how dirty your water can get even after u changed water.

2) grab a reactor, i'm using only NPX biopellets, managed to keep nitrate and phosphate at 0ppm. just make sure it keeps stirring and don't clump together

3) i have some Matrix De-Nitrator in my ios sump that i think it helps with lowering nitrate too.

4) grab a chiller, it goes a long journey with you. can consider other forum for 2nd hand if there is no chiller on sales here. if budget allows, a new one is good.

5) i dose AZ-NO3 removal and goodbye-PO4 once or twice a week to keep the parameter in check.

6) clean ur equipment quarterly is a good habit :D

but these doesn't guarantee 100% success. heheh.

challenge of a nano tank. ;p but be contented that our usage of salt, water, electricity and purchase of equipment are kept nano sized too :X

it took me several tries for 2years, until finally with the advice of colleague, decided to spend a little more to keep it more sustainable and see the corals and fishes at their best.

Advice given: build on the facilities before putting residences. a good facility allows residences to live longer.

my advice to top up: good facility needs maintenance, so check equipment for fault and cleaning, (my reactor caused some death, my hydrometer gave wrong reading)

so yup, lets learn together from each other and reef on~

• SRC Supporter

Yes, thats the challenge of managing a small volume of water... Sounds like you really need a chiller. Have u upgraded your skimmer? Do some big water changes for now. Consider adding chemical media like rowaphos. Maybe carbon dosing with biospheres if your skimmer is up to it. I've been battling cyano on the sandbed recently... slowly winning the fight by regular siphoning... FTS will come soon :)

i had 3 chromis back then, and a coral beauty angelfish.

as for the problems you are going through, i went through as well.

my 2cents are:

1) grab a real good skimmer, you will be shocked to see how dirty your water can get even after u changed water.

2) grab a reactor, i'm using only NPX biopellets, managed to keep nitrate and phosphate at 0ppm. just make sure it keeps stirring and don't clump together

3) i have some Matrix De-Nitrator in my ios sump that i think it helps with lowering nitrate too.

4) grab a chiller, it goes a long journey with you. can consider other forum for 2nd hand if there is no chiller on sales here. if budget allows, a new one is good.

5) i dose AZ-NO3 removal and goodbye-PO4 once or twice a week to keep the parameter in check.

6) clean ur equipment quarterly is a good habit :D

but these doesn't guarantee 100% success. heheh.

challenge of a nano tank. ;p but be contented that our usage of salt, water, electricity and purchase of equipment are kept nano sized too :X

it took me several tries for 2years, until finally with the advice of colleague, decided to spend a little more to keep it more sustainable and see the corals and fishes at their best.

Advice given: build on the facilities before putting residences. a good facility allows residences to live longer.

my advice to top up: good facility needs maintenance, so check equipment for fault and cleaning, (my reactor caused some death, my hydrometer gave wrong reading)

so yup, lets learn together from each other and reef on~

Hi bros.. I have recently upgraded my skimmer to the deltec mce300 and yes, its a world of a difference.. first time i see dark brown skim mate in front of me lol, too busy with so many things that I just didnt have the energy to update my post..

I have also added rowa and polyp lab bio spheres since last week, but it seems that my nitrates level is not dropping at all.. reading last night was 40ppm.. kinda thinking probably rowa and bio spheres dont work together, still gonna monitor it for another week before i decide what to do..

Also gonna get a chiller over the weekend, shall post some updates then :)

Btw, i have a packet of DD biopellets to give away (impulse buy), used 100 ml only, realised I need a reactor for it and i really have no plans to get one in the near future. Its gonna be bio spheres or wc x 2 per week for me to keep my nirates down..

Let me know if you guys need it~!

Cheers~!

Cheers at the skimmate, they can be super smelly. Then u know ur tank is much cleaner. Not sure if rowas can bring nitrate down, but it's good at bringing phos down from readings. ^^ As for biopellets if u are using in future, add little bit first to cultivate the bacteria. For now water change 2 x per week is good while biosphere cultivate more bacteria colonies, also may expect nitrate increase? cheers!!

• SRC Supporter

Cheers at the skimmate, they can be super smelly. Then u know ur tank is much cleaner. Not sure if rowas can bring nitrate down, but it's good at bringing phos down from readings. ^^ As for biopellets if u are using in future, add little bit first to cultivate the bacteria. For now water change 2 x per week is good while biosphere cultivate more bacteria colonies, also may expect nitrate increase? cheers!!

Yah my po4 remained at 0 consistantly for the past 2 weeks, but does wc plus biospheres really bring up nirates? Meaning i should cut down on wc while using biospheres? But its really a fact that my nirates level is staying at 40ppm after bioshperes and wc.. no drop at all...

• SRC Member

What I understand is that it's not a magic pill. Bacteria takes time to grow. But I don't understand why some says that nitrate will increase when introducing bacteria growing media... Cos technically the bacteria remained at the same level during introduction of the media. So nitrates should not increase but remain stagnant until bacteria develops. Can someone enlighten me on this?

Angel Keeper

• SRC Supporter

have u bought the anthias? They are delicate fishes that require lots of swimming spaces and feeding too. I haven't had much luck with them.

Nope, not yet... still thinking if i should.. maybe i should stick with chromis instead.. anthias not cheap too..

I'm feeding twice a day now, overfeeding most of the time because my clowns are always ahead of my firefish, forcing me to throw in more so that my dear firefish has a chance to grab some food..

Why would nitrate increase during cultivation of bacteria on biosphere?

Angel Keeper

Good question. I also not sure. Only read on oversea forum last time when I explore and research on medias. That's why I put may expect. If base on experience, nitrate remains stagnant until bacteria builds up then starts to reduce. That's my personal experience which is more legit as it's more qualitative. ^^

Anw, dinGdinG, if you are staying in the north, I can dig some de*nitrator for u if I can find. Remb had a lot but did exhaust all.

• SRC Supporter

Good question. I also not sure. Only read on oversea forum last time when I explore and research on medias. That's why I put may expect. If base on experience, nitrate remains stagnant until bacteria builds up then starts to reduce. That's my personal experience which is more legit as it's more qualitative. ^^

Anw, dinGdinG, if you are staying in the north, I can dig some de*nitrator for u if I can find. Remb had a lot but did exhaust all.

ahhhh... ok it means sense now, coz my nirate level is very constant at 40ppm. Shall monitor it for another week then

Thanks for the offer bro~! I will keep that in mind, let me settle my chiller over the weekend first haha

• SRC Member

Nope, not yet... still thinking if i should.. maybe i should stick with chromis instead.. anthias not cheap too..

I'm feeding twice a day now, overfeeding most of the time because my clowns are always ahead of my firefish, forcing me to throw in more so that my dear firefish has a chance to grab some food..

Bro you can try seperate your food into diff portion and throw them into diff corners of your tank. Or just throw them in front of your wavemaker let the wave disperse the food all over. Works for me.

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• SRC Supporter

Finally landed this piece of treasure.. love at first sight.. hope you will multiply & multiply~!! :yahoo:

Sunday shopping success~!! :cheers:

post-23835-0-70060300-1414928868_thumb.j

Also got a few fantasy zoas from bro cedric, but too tired to edit the pics now..

Any bros dosing the Polyp Lab nano One? Any feedback?

• SRC Supporter

very good buy bro... nice and puffy!

Thanks bro.. i actually started researching on blasto after seeing your blasto pic~! lol

It looks much better in AC when i bought it, hopefully its all puffy when i get home today..

• SRC Supporter

Latest piece of coral from bro kkk121, nice oz rainbow acan! Got the chance to see him frag it live for me too lol :thumbsup:

2 complete heads and 2 half chopped off heads, but still beautiful to me (please ignore the slime over it haha)

post-23835-0-07593700-1415527083_thumb.j

Have been dosing Polyp Lab one everyday for the past 1 week, seems to be a good investment for now because my dying gonio (actually im thinking if it is a alveopora, quite confusing..) decided to open up for the last 3 days (like finally) and my blasto is getting puffier, the stalks of my mushrooms getting longer, keeping my fingers & toes crossed..

post-23835-0-89404500-1415527511_thumb.j

Just keep reefing~! :friends:

Nice rainbow acan.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.