Maxspect Gyre

Solo77

Seen the prototype at Iwarna. Should be one and only in Singapore. First look at the gyre, the product looks slim and neat, definitely ideal to replace for some bulky wave makers out there. However, was skeptical on its performance due to its outlook but the prototype proved me wrong. The performance was impressive. The coverage and power are good. Depends on your placement, one unit can cover 2 ft width tank with ease. Therefore one can place the device vertically or horizontally for different coverage. Warning is when first use the device, it stirred up the particles in the whole tank and took a while for them to settle down, hence those with fine sand bed, beware. For the power, the mid range model can cover 5/6 ft display tank at Iwarna. One small issue with the prototype is the magnet holding the device. It was rather weak and hope the actual product has stronger magnet which I suspect will. Since the product is touching the shore soon, those who pre ordered the product, do share with us your experience. Those still considering, can drop by Iwarna to see the prototype in action and aid your decision making. Happy reefing.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ty for sharing. Wish I had the. Prototype, lol.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• 1 month later...

I've been using the gyre for about 2 weeks now. Quite pleased with the performance. My tank is a 322, and I'm using the XF150 from the recent preorders. Similar observation by Solo77, initial use stirred up quite a bit of particles. But I also realise there are less dead spots with the gyre. My gyre is on pulse mode, at 20%.

Only thing I ont really like is the controller. Abit limited IMO. Would be nice if a photoelectric cell could be attached. Hopefully a pro controller would be released eventually!

My previous wavemakers were a combination of Tunze Nano Wavebox 6208 and Tunze 6045.

I dont understand why maxspect does not has night mode for gyre loh...

U can always add one yourself

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

I have not see this gyre .So not sure if using AC or DC. If DC then you can use the jebao wavemaker controller to control it. Then u can have night mode.

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

I may be wrong but so far the clips I see on YouTube. Even in pulse mode, the long tentacles Lps seem to show the same effect of a single source pump.

From the clips, The pump is installed such that surface agitation is quite strong, which generates bubbles. So wonder if there's anyone who install it at a lower height. But if by placing the unit lower into the tank, the advantage of the linear pump might become the disadvantage as the flow would be directing at the whole area of the tank. So the pump strength cannot be too strong if it is installed at a lower level.

If pump is installed vertically, I think pple with sand bed definitely have sandstorm.

Hope tat there will be more clips showing the pump installed in different height horizontally and vertically and in Dsb tanks.

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Wonder how high can the maxspect gyre be placed to the water surface..asking this is because for a 4 side view tank, the gyre will block one side view if placed too low..so to ask have any user place the gyre at 1" below the water surface and its working fine? :) I read that most users dun use the gyre at near to 100% power but at below 50% & lesser..won't this be a overkill device and the device is also bigger in size & occupy the smaller tank..just state an example, a 2ft tank use jebao wp60 set at 20% power..cheers

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

day 1 using the maxspect gyre generator XF-150..mode set at gyre alternating 80% normal water flow 40% reverse water flow every 5 min..position placed @ 3" below water surface..placing it lower can lift up more detritus on the tank bottom..no noise..fishes seem to b active..

Any user experience sometimes the controller will b flashing red light, change mode will b back to normal? Can't seem to find the trouble shooting guide..

@ 291213

When in alternate mode, it seems that the blowing down (reverse mode) is not strong even though it is set up to 90% as compare to the blowing up (or straight). The volume of water flow is lesser in reverse mode. Is it just me?

• SRC Member

When in alternate mode, it seems that the blowing down (reverse mode) is not strong even though it is set up to 90% as compare to the blowing up (or straight). The volume of water flow is lesser in reverse minode. Is it just me?

Its the cage issue..u can figure out by putting ur hand ard n feel the current..or look at the fin direction..its a fun wavemaker to play ard giving different current flow in the tank..:)

@ 291213

• 3 weeks later...

I have been using the smaller gyre for about a month now, must say that this the BEST wave maker (more correct current maker) I have used last 10 years of my reefing experience. I think the key thing is the movement of current from surface to the tank wall, bottom and then to tank wall again. It makes sense because it reminded me of what an experience diver told me about reason of the unbelievable coral wall at Bunaken Marine Park, ie. Nutrients and pods from bottom of the sea are brought up by current. No wonder corals in my tank have greater polyp extension

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

just to check , the smallest version is 35 watts , running at lowest setting uses 8 watt ? does the unit produce a lot of heat ?

Heat generation is directly related to the power of the pump. Being 35 watts it generates much lesser heat compared to other high watts pumps and pushes more water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk