Help with mushrooms~!!

dinGdinG

• SRC Supporter

Hi bros!

Need help kind advise for my mushrooms! I bought it about a week ago, doing great for day 1 & 2, but has not been doing well for the past 3 days.....

Before

post-23835-0-65117100-1412864035_thumb.j

After

post-23835-0-95772900-1412864054_thumb.j

I thought it was my lighting, but i changed to a maxspect glaive 2 days ago, still the same... checked parameters also ok... temperature around 27 to 27.5 degrees... placed in a low wave current spot...

Any bros with similar experience??

Please help!

Just have to keep reefing... cant stop now~!

• SRC Supporter

My experience with mushrooms turning like that is either its too much light or flow. Or your water is stripped of nutrients. What's your no3 level?

Hi bro, thank you for the advice! the mushrooms i have is at a super low current position in my tank and my lighting is about 18" above it.. I did a parameters test last night and my NO3 is at 10ppm.. I am guessing it is the nutrients part that you have mentioned? if thats the case, what should i do to boost up the nutrients?

Thank you so so much~! Save my mushrooms~~!! Please~!!

• SRC Member

Hi bro, thank you for the advice! the mushrooms i have is at a super low current position in my tank and my lighting is about 18" above it.. I did a parameters test last night and my NO3 is at 10ppm.. I am guessing it is the nutrients part that you have mentioned? if thats the case, what should i do to boost up the nutrients?

Thank you so so much~! Save my mushrooms~~!! Please~!!

Since it is in a low current position, I highly suspect that its shriveling due to high light, or that your water is too clean - mushrooms like high nutrient rich water conditions.

Also, I just remembered that pH shock could also cause it to shrink like that.

I would try shading the mushroom from the light by half first, as most of the time LEDs may be stronger than they look. It will take awhile for them to get used to the new environment so as long as they are not melting, just give it more time to adjust.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member

Maybe its just leds......

Cheers,

James

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• SRC Supporter

Since it is in a low current position, I highly suspect that its shriveling due to high light, or that your water is too clean - mushrooms like high nutrient rich water conditions.

Also, I just remembered that pH shock could also cause it to shrink like that.

I would try shading the mushroom from the light by half first, as most of the time LEDs may be stronger than they look. It will take awhile for them to get used to the new environment so as long as they are not melting, just give it more time to adjust.

Maybe its just leds......

Cheers,

James

Hey bros, thanks for the kind advice~! Will carry out the testing tomorrow!

Cheers!

• SRC Supporter

so mean mushroom need less light huh.. so i need to move my mushroom..

Well.. I am quite sure its more than that because I have shifted my mushrooms to a shady spot.. its really puzzling, some days its doing well and some days it is all wrinkled up..

Y don't u just leave it alone . I've placed mushrooms under intense light before , they shrivel up for a couple of days and then opened up just nice . They are the exact ones you have , blue/purple , red and green mushies .

The lesser they are handled , the better they will be, just have to give them time to adjust .

Stairway to Heaven

• SRC Supporter

Y don't u just leave it alone . I've placed mushrooms under intense light before , they shrivel up for a couple of days and then opened up just nice . They are the exact ones you have , blue/purple , red and green mushies .

The lesser they are handled , the better they will be, just have to give them time to adjust .

Yup that what exactly I am doing now while shifting my focus on my green gonio & zoas hahaha

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Supporter

i think less light for it can be achieved easily just by shading it..

about having high nutrients.. I am still quite confused over it.. because now i am all out to keep my water pristine and my ammonia, nirite, nirate and phosphate is always 0 when i test it weekly.. does that mean my water is lacking of nutrients? Thats what i think..

However, I am making up by feeding them once or twice a week..

Back to the nutrients part, isit possible to achieve a high nutrients water condition and have a reading of 0 for ammonia, nirite, nirate and phosphate?

Not possible . Anyway high light doesn't really affect my mushroom . Normally it will close up and open fully (expelling some waste I think). Just don't bother it. Just make sure low flow will do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Supporter

Not possible . Anyway high light doesn't really affect my mushroom . Normally it will close up and open fully (expelling some waste I think). Just don't bother it. Just make sure low flow will do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeap thats what i am thinking too.. its a delicate balance to have a high nutrients tank when my tank is so small, i am sure it is safer to keep those parameters at 0 and work harder to feed it regularly..