Pacific Sun T5

black tank

With the trend of LED lighting in the reefing world and not much else, it nice to see Pacific Sun developing T5 for the reefer which they have just launched their T5 in January 2014. Recently we have seen it at shore and as I have been using strictly T5 for my sps dominated tank since 2008, I decided to give it a try and review their performance.

post-9129-0-71178000-1413299266_thumb.jp

post-9129-0-38406700-1413299300_thumb.jp

The 8X54W T5 tubes arrangement mounted into ATI Power module are as follow:

Back

Crystal blue (similar to ATI blue Plus)

Spectra+ (Similar to ATI Coral plus)

Crystal Blue

Shallow Water (similar to ATI Aquablue special)

Pigment INT (similar to ATI Purple Plus)

Crystal blue

Spectra+

Crystal Blue

Front

A few shots of the corals are taken by Samsung Note3 which lack the while balance making the photos bluish.

post-9129-0-56009300-1413300113_thumb.jp

post-9129-0-29433000-1413300138_thumb.jp

post-9129-0-78574200-1413300171_thumb.jp

Generally T5 equip with a individual high quality reflector the PAR value increase up to 3 time. You can also lose as much as 35% of the light intensity near the end with the manufacturer marking while the other end without the label as much as 20%.

Added another end view

post-9129-0-07321200-1413301117_thumb.jp

We all know that T5 can colour up SPS provide that the water perimeter is suitable. the photos are taken today with the following water perimeter so that the next update, the perimeter shall remain similar so as not to affect the T5 performance.

NO3 undetectble by Redsea nitrate test kit

PO4 undetectable by Salifert Phosphate test kit

KH at 9dkh by API

PH at 8.13 by Aquatronica

Cal approximate 380 by Sera Calcium test kit

post-9129-0-54733000-1413302080_thumb.jp

Beautiful corals! Thanks for the review, was interested in trying them out as well. Do update us in a later stage of how the corals are turning out with the pacific sun bulbs! Might switch over from ati!

I Love Stagsss

very nice tank. if you don't mind, how do you compare it to your previous tubes PAR and color rendition wise?

what tube combination would you suggest for a 4 t5 ati powermodule hybrid? my current tubes are 2 blue+. coral+ and actinic. im looking for better color on my corals.

im thinking about trying pac sun this time.

very nice tank. if you don't mind, how do you compare it to your previous tubes PAR and color rendition wise? what tube combination would you suggest for a 4 t5 ati powermodule hybrid? my current tubes are 2 blue+. coral+ and actinic. im looking for better color on my corals. im thinking about trying pac sun this time.
When compare with my previous combinations of ati n giesemann tubes of similar colour spectrum, IMO Pacific Sun look a little more bluish while PAR wise, I can't comment bcos of new n old tubes (6 are new n 2 are 4 mths old). Your current tube combination was my best option, however u can try replacing actinic with pigment INT ( ati purple +).

Wah nice icefire! good review post. What s special color of pacific sun bulb by compared to.ATI ? Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
Thank you, But ice fire is a slow grower. IMO, I prefer the Pacific Sun shallow water as it is more blue compare with aqua blue special.

• 2 weeks later...

Good topic. I have slotted two new Pacific Sun shallow water bulbs into my lighting fixture with a current configuration of 5 ATI Blueplus bulbs, 2 Pacific Sun shallow water bulbs and 1 ATI Aquablue Special bulb. I am having thoughts of swapping the Aquablue special bulb for either a 3rd shallow water bulb or a spectra+.

Thanks for your reply. Since your previous tubes were combination of ATI and Giesemann, I cannot relate when you say that the Pacific Sun looks bluer. But would you be able to say the the Crystal Blue is bluer that the ATO Blue Plus?

Thanks and best regards.

"When compare with my previous combinations of ati n giesemann tubes of similar colour spectrum, IMO Pacific Sun look a little more bluish while PAR wise, I can't comment bcos of new n old tubes (6 are new n 2 are 4 mths old).
Your current tube combination was my best option, however u can try replacing actinic with pigment INT ( ati purple +)."

• SRC Member

Price wise? That's the ultimate decisive vote.

YT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By iwarna

"The retail price for the 39W, 54W and 80W is $24, $26 and $30 respectively."

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

Nice. Do you have those corals above under your old mix of ATI and Giesemann. Its good to compare side by side

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

Great to see a review on pacific sun t5 bulbs based on real life usage. I am using 2 pacific sun shallow water bulbs and 6 ATI bulbs and the colours have been good so far after 3 weeks of use. Will try their deep blue bulb once it is released for sale in December

• 2 months later...