badsector's Fluval Edge 46L

badsector

• SRC Member

Having own 2 previous planted tanks years ago 2FT tank and 3FT tank but decomm due to overseas posting to china.

With all the advises from the bros here. I've decided to try out a marine tank this round.

2ufaq1i.jpg29p2og2.jpg

8xv6l4.jpg

Tank Specs

1. AquaClear 20 filter(370L/H) with Seachem purigen

2. Brandless China Protein Skimmer with 0.2watt battery air pump

3. Jebao WP-10 Wave Maker

4. Zetlight ZA1201 LED (21 white, 4 red, 4 green, 7 blue)

5. Fluval E50 heater

6. 5kg livesand and liverocks

7. RODI system (TDS 500ppm down to 10ppm)

pH: ???

Alkalinity: 12dKH

Calcium - ???mg/L

Nitrate – below 0.125 mg/l

Phosphate – ???mg/l

Salinity - 1.025 at 25°C

Tank been cycling for 2 weeks now. Not sight of diatom algae yet.

As a Noob in reef tank, i would likely keep only fishes for now. maybe add only those hardy mushrooms

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What fish r u thinking of adding?

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

Nice tank bro... welcome to the club!

Just my 2 cents on your livestock... the blue tang might get a bit big for your tank. And the bicolor dottyback might fight with the orchid dottyback. Might want to consider a royal gramma instead, more peaceful.

Harlequin shrimp are nice but require a special diet of starfish.

4032134229021418s_zpsx5nrshsi.JPG

• SRC Member

Nice tank bro... welcome to the club!

Just my 2 cents on your livestock... the blue tang might get a bit big for your tank. And the bicolor dottyback might fight with the orchid dottyback. Might want to consider a royal gramma instead, more peaceful.

Harlequin shrimp are nice but require a special diet of starfish.

thanks bro, you are right

Here's my revised list:

Flame Angelfish x1

Orchid Dottyback x1

Fire Dartfish x1

Purple Fire Dartfish x1

Green Mandarin x1

Sexy Shrimp x2

Maroon Clownfish x1

HiFin Red Banded Gobies x1

Dwarf Hermit Crab x1

• SRC Member

You can mail order livestock in China? Very cool.

You might want to consider a smaller and less aggressive clownfish like the ocellaris or true perc. There are some designer clownfish which are quite nice.

Also consider a piston shrimp to pair with yr hifin goby... The behaviour is quite interesting

4032134229021418s_zpsx5nrshsi.JPG

• SRC Member

You can mail order livestock in China? Very cool.

You might want to consider a smaller and less aggressive clownfish like the ocellaris or true perc. There are some designer clownfish which are quite nice.

Also consider a piston shrimp to pair with yr hifin goby... The behaviour is quite interesting

haha yes, most can be just order from taobao. there's LFS in xi'an. but i'm planning to view guangzhou 鱼鸟市场 for some purchase

thanks for the tips. so i can keep 2 ocellaris or 2 true perc right?

• SRC Supporter

thanks bro, you are right

Here's my revised list:

Flame Angelfish x1

Orchid Dottyback x1

Fire Dartfish x1

Purple Fire Dartfish x1

Green Mandarin x1

Sexy Shrimp x2

Maroon Clownfish x1

Dwarf Hermit Crab x1

Hi bro~! you may wanna swop out one of the dart fish.. i am also keeping just 1 after some reading online that they will fight hard for territories unless its a mated pair.. copied some info for you..

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1636+173&pcatid=173

Im having a true perc pair too, they may just fight quite aggressively for less than a day before the smaller one will be submissive to the bigger one.. you will probably see the smaller one twitching quite often but its just normal mated pair behaviour..

Just sharing my little experience with you :D

Just have to keep reefing... cant stop now~!

• SRC Member

Hi bro~! you may wanna swop out one of the dart fish.. i am also keeping just 1 after some reading online that they will fight hard for territories unless its a mated pair.. copied some info for you..

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1636+173&pcatid=173

Im having a true perc pair too, they may just fight quite aggressively for less than a day before the smaller one will be submissive to the bigger one.. you will probably see the smaller one twitching quite often but its just normal mated pair behaviour..

Just sharing my little experience with you :D

oh...my.. list getting smaller haha

Orchid Dottyback x1

Purple Fire Dartfish x1

Piston Shrimp x1

Sexy Shrimp x1

Ocellaris Clownfish x2 (1smaller size)

Dwarf Hermit Crab x1

can i add snails?

• SRC Supporter

oh...my.. list getting smaller haha

Orchid Dottyback x1

Purple Fire Dartfish x1

Piston Shrimp x1

Sexy Shrimp x1

Ocellaris Clownfish x2 (1smaller size)

Dwarf Hermit Crab x1

can i add snails?

LOL, i had a long long long list of fishes to keep too. But it got lesser and lesser after much research on them and our nano tank size is rather limiting..

Add slowly and put in the less aggressive fishes first till the most aggressive, the website i gave you do indicate the temperament of all the fishes you plan to keep.. Its quite a good guide to let you plan better

• SRC Member

LOL, i had a long long long list of fishes to keep too. But it got lesser and lesser after much research on them and our nano tank size is rather limiting..

Add slowly and put in the less aggressive fishes first till the most aggressive, the website i gave you do indicate the temperament of all the fishes you plan to keep.. Its quite a good guide to let you plan better

I'm left with Clownfish now. The rest all singles should be fine now i guess.

new to the hobby... so many nice fishes i like. cannot tahan leh...

Mandarin fish need copepods diet. how you guys cultivate them?

i found a source on taobao. which can sell me the live plankton and live copepods. but how to keep them alive?

or i just pour both right into the tank. That's all?

Bro shall have few snails. Also beware of the shrimps they will steal food from coral...

Snails should be fine bro.

thanks. the LFS owner has agree to let me trade-in any livestocks if they ain't suitable for my nano tank.

• SRC Supporter

I'm left with Clownfish now. The rest all singles should be fine now i guess.

new to the hobby... so many nice fishes i like. cannot tahan leh...

Mandarin fish need copepods diet. how you guys cultivate them?

i found a source on taobao. which can sell me the live plankton and live copepods. but how to keep them alive?

or i just pour both right into the tank. That's all?

thanks. the LFS owner has agree to let me trade-in any livestocks if they ain't suitable for my nano tank.

What i understand from the bros here, i think a majority of them grows their pods in their refugium which provides cover for the pods hiding in their cheatos or other algae.. Of which, its kinda impossible for us with nano tanks and no sump.. I am guessing they feed on algae bcause they only gather around the areas with algae in my tank..

I am also facing a weird situation now, my tank is full of pods at the moment and i have no clue where they come from.. No plans to keep a dragonet in the near future though because im pretty sure the pods population in my tank is not sustainable..

btw, is there really LFS in 东北??Maybe I can check it out when Im there~! LOL

• SRC Member

What i understand from the bros here, i think a majority of them grows their pods in their refugium which provides cover for the pods hiding in their cheatos or other algae.. Of which, its kinda impossible for us with nano tanks and no sump.. I am guessing they feed on algae bcause they only gather around the areas with algae in my tank..

I am also facing a weird situation now, my tank is full of pods at the moment and i have no clue where they come from.. No plans to keep a dragonet in the near future though because im pretty sure the pods population in my tank is not sustainable..

btw, is there really LFS in 东北??Maybe I can check it out when Im there~! LOL

i'm at 西安. there's a few but prices higher than guangzhou.

And also not much selections of fishes. Southern china still better.

• SRC Member

Hey bro! hows your tank getting along? Added any livestock already? Very interested to see hows the condition of livestock in China haha

haha. haven't leh

was back SG this week.

this weekend going to check out Guangzhou 花鸟鱼虫批发市场 at 花地湾MRT station

hopefully can grab a few nice fishs