triton: miracle or snake oil?

I personally feel it's quite a no fuss system. Do take in mind that no water change/low maintenance is with the caveat of frequent water testing done in Germany (with lots of new chemicals to buy and add on). In my opinion suitable for LPS dominant; SPS will be extremely difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Snake oil.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

• SRC Member

No matter how many testing and how many chemicals added. One cannot deny the fact thst wc is the basis of fish keeping.. Why reef if the simplest most basic thing one also refuse to do? Can you imagine urself living in a cell with constantly recycled food and air? Yes u can survive short term, but can u thrive and survive long term even if i fed you with supplements and chemicals? Im not against any products. But im simply saying that no fish keeper espcially reefer should have the mind set of no wc.

My 0.2cents

• Like 1

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

note : sps Surviving and thriving is veryvery different (;

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

• SRC Member

No water change = No colourful sps tank......period

Cheers,

James

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• SRC Member

My brothers used triton....and I can see the result myself.....haha..... brothers you know who you are :)

Cheers,

James

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

While i wouldn't necessarily say that its snake oil, as it indeed does replenish depleted trace elements in the tank by dosing means. I also wouldn't consider this a miracle, its basically pure water chemistry and science.

The question really is does it work and is it a beneficial way of maintaining the health of the inhabitants?

My take on the system is: Use it only if u are willing to do your water test and that means sending ur water samples for regular water test.

Base on what i've read so far on the triton method, it doesn't differ much from a water change...basically in a water change, u use synthetic salt + H2o. The synthetic salt in any salt brand mix contains the elements also found in triton's 102 essential elements list. H20 remains as h20. So really, there is not much difference.

Problem comes in when u have no idea what is being consumed faster or slower and than dosing as necessary with the triton method. Only way to figure that is to send ur water samples for testing, and than calculating the amount of trace base elements to dose. End of day: you be dosing blindly if u dont send ur water for tests.

Sure, maybe u can stabilize the system after a couple of triton lab test to determine the dosage requirements. But will u stop adding new corals, or will ur corals stop growing?

Taken off the triton website:

Step 3 – Individual supplementary care

Depending on the number, size and composition of animals in the tank, higher consumption of boron, lithium, potassium, magnesium, strontium, fluoride or other materials may occur. TRITON offers these elements for supplementary dosage in the product series 'Trace Base'.

How are individual requirements determined?

Two water tests with an interval of 30 days are conducted in order to establish precise monthly consumption and determine what substances may be missing. It is possible to accurately calculate consumption from the difference of the concentration of substances of each individual element and to add the element, if necessary

Please please do correct me if i've made a mistake and misunderstood the system. I would love to learn more about triton too.

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

oh, all of u guys tried triton and came up with these conclusions?

Not me. Like james said , brothers have tried it ! The resultS is mehh.

Anyway,

How many super nice sps dominated tank are there in the world with triton ? Compared with zeovits/ fauna marin/ system with wc etcetc. Not talking about lps/softies. But "SPS".

The amount of $ spent on triton , i rather go faunamarin system/zeovit.

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

Personally I run a system by mixing both FM Zeolight system with the Triton method.

Triton method recommends no/minimal water change as it works based on regular water testing to fine tune your water chemistry. The test results and recommendations are meant to correct individual parameters back to the norm. This will not be accurate if you are performing huge water change immediately after you send your water for tests. Of course if the tests come back with many irregularities, it would be wiser to do a big water change using a different salt or checking your DI/RO TDS or cutting down on your trace element dosing.

Triton method has its advantage of being able to test for individual elements so you can tell whether you are overdosing/lacking a certain element. For me it is FM Color elements, I just find it a good precautionary measure to do the monthly Triton lab test just to ensure I am not overdosing on the additional supplements I am adding. For me the Triton test has enabled me to pinpoint Strontium deficiency which reefers rarely test for, it is one of the main solutions from Triton that I dose as after the test results come out they will provide recommendation on how much to dose to reach optimal value and the safe dosing amount per day.

Not to forget Triton test is also helpful for the average reefer to determine sources of their problems. For example: Heavy metals due to using wrong salt, etc. These are the parameters that are just as important as Ca, kH, Mg, pH values, which manufacturers rarely disclose. While such levels may be below lethal levels, unless you are performing like 100% water change once a month, eventually these will accumulate to lethal levels over time. So while some brands of Salt may seem fine for corals, the impurities build up over time and after months/years reefers start experiencing problems with their corals. But never would they think it was due to the salt they were using all along from the very beginning. It's like how smoking does'nt kill a person immediately.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Fuel, I understand that anyone is able to submit their water for the lab test according to the website. Am i right?

So basically triton = Send ur water for regular lab test to be successful? Lets be transparent about it, anyone knows the cost of sending ur water for triton lab test than?

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

Fuel, I understand that anyone is able to submit their water for the lab test according to the website. Am i right?

So basically triton = Send ur water for regular lab test to be successful? Lets be transparent about it, anyone knows the cost of sending ur water for triton lab test than?

90$. I rather spend it to buy fm salt and do weekly wc with it lol

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

• SRC Member

Double post

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

oh, all of u guys tried triton and came up with these conclusions?

I personally started out with triton and used it for a good 6 months. I would say it works; and not having to do water changes was a very convenient benefit. However, my experience was, as mentioned by many above, the coral do survive, but they really don't thrive much. Being quite a "type A"/OCD kind of person, I have to say that I did feel extremely liberated when I took the leap to conventional dosing/water change, and I actually see a significant improvement in growth/colour as well.

Triton does give you rather stable conditions (though not optimal) which allowed me to have a good start to reefing as it did allow me some time to slowly adjust and understand how a marine environment actually worked. So, many of the initial teething/running in issues could be sorted out and the tank stabilized before I had to actually fuss about each individual element/parameter.

Personally, I had no regrets using Triton. I am saying that its a feasible method that actually works, but if you want to have more control over your tank or want to move on to more advanced/difficult coral, then it wouldn't be as suitable.

• SRC Member

I heard its $80-$90 for the triton water test?

So in short a triton user will need to spend $80/month for water test then spend donno how much to replenish the trace elements?

Might as well spend the money on high quality fm salts and do weekly or monthly water change. Higher chance we will see better results in our reef tanks.

Cheers,

James

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

So in short a triton user will need to spend $80/month for water test then spend donno how much to replenish the trace elements?

Might as well spend the money on high quality fm salts and do weekly or monthly water change. Higher chance we will see better results in our reef tanks.

Cheers,

James

The cost for the test is mainly due to shipping cost. In future the machine will be shipped to Singapore so the tests will be less costly.

For SPS that can cost up to hundreds, the cost of the test is a worthwhile precaution IMO. There are so many parameters that will be revealed that cannot be tested accurately by conventional test kits. This could very well be the cause for the mysterious RTN with acropora.

Of course using high quality salt is a wise choice, I am using this salt as well. However, even with regular water change of a pail/day on a 650L system and religious dosing of trace elements I still ended up with Strontium deficiency.

How regular the tests are performed is up to the individual, for me I will do the monthly test for 3 months. After which I will have an idea on the required monthly dose of the specified trace elements. From there I will cut down on the testing to maybe once every 2-3 months.

It's amazing how different systems can complement each other if used correctly. :)

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Cheers,

James

+ those prices on those many "fancy" see through glass botttles as souvenirs hahhhaha

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

Thanks for the input bro fuel and markymarcus. I guess personally I'll be more than happy to send my water for these triton lab test, once they have the machines here in singapore (any clue when, doubt it be anytime soon), since anyone is allowed to do so. In terms of overall health of the tank, as both of u mentioned, it be better to stick with regular water change with high quality salt, and then identify the deficit elements in the tank.

I Love Stagsss

I have started the Triton method for 4 months till now. I'm very happy with the result of my Mix-Reef tank (more LPS dominant). No need to change water at all and just follow the instruction and dosage recommend after the Lab Test. It makes your life easier and you can enjoy your tank and relax. Thumbs Up for Triton.